help me pick a cd player
Jan 12, 2003 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
after some thought I've decided that 1000.00 is too much for me to spend on a cd player at this point. So I'm looking for suggestions on a player in the 500.00 range. I will be using it with my mg head with outlaw interconnects and my hd600. The music I listen to is almost exclusively rock - pink floyd, radiohead, beatles, beck, flaming lips, etc. suggestions please!!!!

Jan 12, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 30
Check out the Music Hall mmf cd25. It uses great components, decodes HDCD, has great build and has a sweet, detailed sound with a wide soundstage. The only downside is (to me anyway) that vocals sound a bit thin, but that could just be my set up.

Jan 12, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 30
Spend some time off and on at Audiogon looking at used stuff for sale in your price range. Wait until you see something that's a good deal and then buy it. You'd be amazed at the deala that can be found there when you're patient.

Jan 12, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 30
I have been pondering a new player in the same range. I have been looking at the NAD 541i which seems to get good feedback for a player in that range. I am torn between the NAD or a multi-format player like the Pioneer Elite DV45A (or perhaps the new Philips player coming out). I posted a question asking for opions on the NAD vs the Pioneer Elite players compared to each other but nobody responded.

Good luck!

Rich

Jan 12, 2003 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 30
richjpr, I know, it seems lately its hard to get people around here to spend your money for you, this is the second or third time I've posted something like this only to get 100 views and like 2 or 3 replies. don't ask me I don't know what the problem is.

serving, I buy new, I'm not into buying used, never have been. thanks for the opinion anyway, they seem to be few and far between, maybe it's the weekend I don't know!!!

Jan 13, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 30
In that price range I would have to second the NAD C541i. I was very satisfied with mine.....so much so that I ended up buying two of them (long story, but it had to do with the Outlaw ICs that I was using
rolleyes.gif
). You can get a brand new one from Yawa Audio. They sell "damaged box" specials for $388.00 plus shipping. Keep in mind that these are brand new but the box has been damaged during shipping. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the player.

Here is a direct link to the C541i.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Yawa Audio other than being totally satisfied with their customer service. It is top notch.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 30
Consider also the Sony SCD-C333ES/555ES, Rega Planet 2000, and Ah! Njoeb 2000 from the used market. I will leave the research up to you. We can give suggestions but one still needs to do considerable research on their own to figure out if a CDP is voiced to their liking. Especially since with sources, sometimes the differences are subtle.

Jan 13, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 30
THANKS GUYS! I'm really leaning towards a music hall cd25, there is a deal at an online retailer that gives you the cd player, a set of interconnects and a power cord for 559.00. I really don't have any way to audition any of these players except for the rega which is too expensive for me at this point, there aren't many high end shops in my area.

vertigo, I will be using the cd player with outlaws>mg head>senn hd600 w cardas.

jmt, I will check into the nad, although I don't know much about them other than what I've read here.

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
there is a deal at an online retailer that gives you the cd player, a set of interconnects and a power cord for 559.00.

I'm in search of a CD player in the same price range, and was wondering if you could post a link to this retailer. I'm actually leaning toward the NAD 541, but I'd be interested in seeing what IC's and power cord they're offering with this deal.

Jan 13, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 30
upon further review I ordered the nad cd player from yawa audio sunday night, I should have it by the end of the week, thanks to jmt and the others for their advice, I'll let you guys know what I think of it after I try it out!!!

daniel, the package deal I was speaking of is for a music hall cd25, it is at www.responseaudio.com

I will be interested to know if you go for it because it was my second choice, if you do buy it let me know what happens because I have learned in this game, if you don't like one, you move on to the next. So if I don't like the nad I will be very interested in knowing about the music hall, that way I could sell one and get the other, so keep me updated.

Jan 15, 2003 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 30
you know you have gone over the edge when you are checking the ups site to see if they have delivered your package from work!

anyway, my nad cdp is on the porch waiting for me to get home and hook him/her up!!!

thanks to jmt, richjpr, and vertigo for your suggestions, you guys helped make my decision alot easier to make, I'll post some thoughts on it as soon as I get it burned in!!!!

Can't wait to get the flaming lips "the soft bulletin" hdcd in that baby and rev it up!!!

Jan 15, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #12 of 30
The package is sitting on your porch??? Hmmm... where did you say you live? Hehe!

I think you made a good choice and can't wait to hear your impressions of the player.

Enjoy!

Rich

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 30
richpjr, I ordered the damaged box version, in all reality there were a FEW minor, and I mean minor scuffs on the original box, yawa double boxes it for shipping and they did a great job! So far all I can say is that doing some research and learning who the right people to take advice from are the two best things you can do at this place. What I have learned most and I think it mostly comes from reading kelly's posts is that source should be the main consideration, after all that's the first link in the chain. I cannot even begin to explain the difference between this player and my old sony dvd/cd player!!! I'll post more after some more listening time, oh the flaming lips never sounded so good!!!!!

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #15 of 30
I am in the process of saving up for this player. I too am interested in what you think. I own the asl MG/OTL head as well and i love it (and hd600's). But its paired with an el cheapo dvd player as a source... I'm thinking the difference between the NAD 541C will be well worth the money. Please let us know your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back