Help me pick a car!
May 30, 2007 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I know this isn't car-fi, but I'm 16 and i will be getting my first car in several months.

My budget will be around 8k.

I want a car that is (in no particular order)
1) fun to drive
2) good on gas
3) not an suv
4) reliable
5)fits 4 people (it can be squished in the back though, just need 4 seats)
6) good @ retaining value (would be nice).

i will probably go to the auction (they have huge ones out in lancaster PA) to get it.

May 30, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,
I know this isn't car-fi, but I'm 16 and i will be getting my first car in several months.

My budget will be around 8k.

I want a car that is (in no particular order)
1) fun to drive
2) good on gas
3) not an suv
4) reliable
5)fits 4 people (it can be squished in the back though, just need 4 seats)
6) good @ retaining value (would be nice).

i will probably go to the auction (they have huge ones out in lancaster PA) to get it.

Honda Civic.

May 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 45
Honda Prelude. I have a 2000, which you should be able to find well under 8k now. Runs like clockwork, even though I beat the crap out of it by autocrossing. 25mpg overall, pretty much every tank (except on race weekends). You'll love it. (Caveat: it will be significantly more fun if you can drive stick...)

May 30, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 45
Older model Saturn Ion. Toyota engine (reliability), fun to drive and holds its value decently. It's also great on gas.

[EDIT] I should point out that if I were in your situation, I would save up a little extra money and drive a fully warranteed Toyota Yaris off the lot. Sexy look, great on gas, fun to drive (on rails, as they say) and should hold its value as much as any Honda.

May 30, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 45
I would buy a Japanese car.
Cause they are very reliable and easy to drive.

May 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 45
Honda Civic or Prelude as mentioned before. An Acura Integra can also be an option.

Edit: Integra GS-R, I should say, though if you can afford it go for the Type R. And go for the Civic Si coupé or 3-door too.

May 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 45
AMC EAGLE!!!!
wink.gif

whatever you get make sure it is either All wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

i don't care how quick it is a front wheel drive car will never be "fun" to drive

May 30, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honda Civic or Prelude as mentioned before. An Acura Integra can also be an option.

Edit: Integra GS-R, I should say, though if you can afford it go for the Type R. And go for the Civic Si coupé or 3-door too.

Integras are fun too, the only issue with them is that they take up about half of the top 10 most stolen list.

If you can find a clean example, Nissan Sentra SE-R's (the boxy kind) are also pretty fun. You're looking at the early 90s here (newest of the generation I'm thinking of was in 1994) though, I don't know if age is a huge deal for you. I'd also consider a 2000-ish Mazda Protege.

May 30, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whatever you get make sure it is either All wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

i don't care how quick it is a front wheel drive car will never be "fun" to drive

I wholeheartedly agree! DON'T get a FWD car!

Japanese cars are no more reliable than any other car, its just wives-tales. My parents got a 3-yr old Nissan that just broke down and have no idea whats wrong with it.

I got a '99 Camaro 5-speed, and couldn't be happier! Buy American!

May 30, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 45
hmm thanks for all of the recommendations! stick is fine
biggrin.gif
my family is a car family (and i used to race go karts...not the woods ones, the hardcore racing type).

basically my situation is that my dad wanted me to drive his 86(?) 944 turbo, but my mom isnt cool with that. its pretty old and beat up and always needs work. not to mention its bright red and is a cop magnet.

we can probably sell it for like 8k or so, which leaves me with my budget.

the only thing i could think of was like a civic or maybe a scion tc. i would love rear wheel drive, but there arent any that seem to come to mind.

also, id rather get a car that is atleast late 90s or newer. getting an early 90s car would defeat part of the purpose of replacing the porsche.

May 30, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 45
Yea, I see what you mean. If it was me tho, I would totally beg to keep the Porsche. I would mention no other car and leave no room for compromise
tongue.gif
Then I'd fix it up slowly. Even if its not perfect, its still fast
wink.gif

There aren't that many RWD cars anymore...
I guess there's Camaro, Mustang, 80's Monte Carlos... dang, I didn't think it would be this hard to name them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back