Help Me Out!
Oct 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Friedmannn

New Head-Fier
I am dying to buy a nice pair of headphones and I'm looking to spend up to around $150-160.
I want them strictly for home use, and want something with a good length cable (unless extensions are easy to do... are they?) as I'd be plugging them into my receiver.

I would use them to watch movies / tv shows, and listen to music. The music I listen to the most is live shows of Phish and Grateful Dead, with a lot of other psychedelia/rock/jam bands mixed in like Pink Floyd, etc.

Also I'd want to be able to use these with my iPod classic, and was wondering if this amp would help me out when I'm using them at home (or with my iPod):
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

I was thinking about maybe getting the HD595s? How are those? If I'm using them in the same room as somebody, are they "open" enough to disturb someone in the same room as me if I'm watching a movie or something? I'm asking this as I'll be going to college in less than a year and don't want to not be able to use them in my dorm since I'll have a roommate :frowning2:

Thanks guys!

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I am dying to buy a nice pair of headphones and I'm looking to spend up to around $150-160.
I want them strictly for home use, and want something with a good length cable (unless extensions are easy to do... are they?) as I'd be plugging them into my receiver.

I would use them to watch movies / tv shows, and listen to music. The music I listen to the most is live shows of Phish and Grateful Dead, with a lot of other psychedelia/rock/jam bands mixed in like Pink Floyd, etc.

Also I'd want to be able to use these with my iPod classic, and was wondering if this amp would help me out when I'm using them at home (or with my iPod):
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

I was thinking about maybe getting the HD595s? How are those? If I'm using them in the same room as somebody, are they "open" enough to disturb someone in the same room as me if I'm watching a movie or something? I'm asking this as I'll be going to college in less than a year and don't want to not be able to use them in my dorm since I'll have a roommate :frowning2:

Thanks guys!

open headphones would disturb people near you but personally its not too big of a deal if they don't mind the extra background noise (i for example don't, but it annoys alot of other people sometimes)

for Live rock and rock music in general as well as low impedance (able to use on ipod and stuff with a basic portable amp), i would totally recommend buying Grado SR125i or Grado SR80i along with that FiiO-E5. the only drawback being that they are open and leak sound out.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:

for Live rock and rock music in general as well as low impedance (able to use on ipod and stuff with a basic portable amp), i would totally recommend buying Grado SR125i or Grado SR80i along with that FiiO-E5. the only drawback being that they are open and leak sound out.

The Grado signature isn't for everyone who listens to Rock, some people might prefer a bit more bass. I'd audition a Grado first

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 10
The HD595's a good for me, though the 598's are more popular on here with the extra soundstage (havent heard 598's)

As has already been said they are open so they will leak a little noise. is your roommate a light sleeper?

The good old M50's are always worth a look to newbies wanting a good all rounder too. They're closed back too.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 10
The Senn HD598s are excellent headphones, and are great for movies, music, and what have you.  As for the amp... I'd recommend something with more power, and a DAC would help.  Look into a e7.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 10
HD 598's are the gateway cans for just about everyone nowadays. They were my first and I don't regret it at all. If you underspend on your first pair you might be put off because going from a $100 budget to a $200 budget has phenomenal sound differences and way more choices.

Splurge, you won't regret it. I promise.

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
HD 598's are the gateway cans for just about everyone nowadays. They were my first and I don't regret it at all. If you underspend on your first pair you might be put off because going from a $100 budget to a $200 budget has phenomenal sound differences and way more choices.Splurge, you won't regret it. I promise.

I second this.  These headphones sound pretty good out of the box, and with an amp they can sound fantastic. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

I second this.  These headphones sound pretty good out of the box, and with an amp they can sound fantastic. 

I really want to get the 598's and I thought about it, but $250 (on Amazon) is pretty far above what I was hoping to spend >__< especially with an amp that costs even $20... If I could get them for $200 with an amp somehow then I'd easily do it, but I don't see how that'd be possible :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back