Help me out with selecting a new amp...
Jul 20, 2008 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

manofmathematics

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to have about $350.00 - $400.00 to play with and I'd like to pick up a new amp, tubed preferrably. I'm currently using a beautiful little RA-1 Clone with my RS-1's, and although there is very nice synergy and pretty excellent detail, I just prefer the smoothness of tubes.

I've been thinking about a Darkvoice 336i or 336se. I'd like to experiment a little with 6AS7/6080's on the output in OTL. Anyone have any input on how the Darkvoice plays with RS-1's? Any other recommendations that will allow me to experiment with the above tubes in OTL? Also, what other amps should I check out before making a decision. I'm not against stashing the $400.00 and adding a bit more to it and waiting just a little longer.

Source wise, I'm currently waiting on my father to bring by the tubed CAL cd player he is giving me, so I'm still straight from the X-Fi at the moment.

Another option, not amp related, is to just continue using the RA-1 Clone and picking up something like an old Thorens TD165, or something similar, and giving her a new tonearm and cart, and getting my dose of tubes at the phone stage and digital source. Any thoughts on this idea?

Thanks guys and gals.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 6
There are several good options... but... "for my money" there is only one amp to get in that price range - the "awesome" DV332 with upgraded tubes.

If you're going to wait, and invest more... then your options become greater (e.g. MAD Ear amps, Woo Audio amps, etc.).

The DV332 is superb with Senns, and pretty good with Grados (with tube upgrades after everything is burnt in) - its a bit rough with low impedance phones, until then.

You can see all the comments RE: the DV332 in the DV332 threads.

By the way... the CAL Audio ICON, Sigma II, and Alpha equipment are really superb! Especially, with the DV332.

Jul 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Gradofan2. You know, the 332 had completely slipped my mind. I seem to forget about that amp when I think of the Darkvoice line.

Now, I guess I have a little reading to do tonight.

*Off to the DV332 threads*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back