HELP me make a proper home source!
May 22, 2010 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stonyboys

100+ Head-Fier
Hello folks, I've always been a portable music listener, and the only home source I have is my computer. Recently my CD drive crapped out, so I decided this is a good time to begin a career in proper home listening.

I'm getting really confused with this receiver/DAC talk, so I was wondering, can anyone give me a simple road map? What do I need to get started? I would like a system that plays CDs and it would be lovely if I could plug in my computer/iPod/flash drive and play MP3s.

Thanks!

May 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't have a strict budget, but I don't want anything too fancy. I just want a beginner rig that can give me better sound quality than my iPod.

And this will most likely be used only with headphones.

May 23, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 14
AVS forum is your friend.  I have the Denon 3808CI and love it.  Plays flacs off a hard drive if you want, remote shows album if you can figure out how to set that up.  3 zones.  phono setting as well. 4 HDMI

May 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 14
If you can use your computer as a source, and not your mp3 player, then it'll be much easier to help you.  Otherwise, you could get the Wadia iTransport for your iPod, but everything-and-the-kitchen-sink devices aren't cheap and you'll get better SQ value if you don't require as much flexibility.

May 24, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 14
No no, I don't want to use my computer nor my iPod as a source. I basically want a high quality home CD player that can output to my headphones instead of speakers.

Am I an idiot or do these kinda things actually exist?

May 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 14
It has a usb signal input...so from that I'd think that the DAC would only function if hooked up to your computer (someone correct me if I am wrong). The amp would work fine.

May 27, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 14
IMO mass market dvd players fail miserably at making music from cd's. If you just want a cheap decent cd player with headphone output, look for a used Marantz CD-63 or CD-67. It'll get the job done.

May 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I did some research, and apparently DVD players make for really good and cheap CD players. 

For a couple of years I used a Philips DVP642 as my transport, it was actually pretty good, but a touch clicky and notoriously unreliable , however as a digital transport it was identical (to me) to a NAD C542, I tested this with a switch box and time aligned CDs and was unable to tell them apart so I sold the NAD. The biggest likely issue with DVD players is transport noise, that said I have owned some rather noisy CD transports as well...

May 28, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 14
Check out the Marantz Cd5003 which goes for $350 or if you dont mind refurbished, you can get it from accessories4less.com at $245. This can be a really good purchase if you are after a no bull cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back