Help me identify this vintage Phillips headphone! Sextett wannabes?
Oct 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello People,
So I found my dads old Phillips headphones in a box today. To my surprise they look a bit like old Sextetts on the inside. The problem is that the badges that used to be on the side of them have fallen off.

They are roughly 25 years old bought at the Phillips shop in their headquarters in the Netherlands. The pads are a bit mushy and the foam inserts are crumpling, any ideas how to get those open without breaking anything?

Sextett lookalike?1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sextett lookalike?2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sextett lookalike?3 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sextett lookalike?4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sextett lookalike?5 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Frederik

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 10
The cable looks similar to the K340 cable. They definitely look like a rebranded AKG. Fitz will know what they are, in the meantime you could open them up and take a peek inside.
smily_headphones1.gif

You will probably have to unscrew the screw on the exterior of the headband assembly and work your way from there. Maybe having a look at the service manuals for the K240 on AKG's website would be useful before starting to disassemble them.

As for pads, it looks like K240 pads will fit. And the inner foam rings can be replaced with rings of opencell foam, the one used for aquariums and air conditioning filters.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 10
AKG has made a lot of headphones for Philips over the years.

My guess is that the more generous venting on this model vs. a normal sextett will mean that it has a lot less bass.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 10
I have never heard the K240s or K340s (me runs away and hides in shame) so can't really comment on them. They sound alright but the foam on the back is cumbling so they are really annoying to wear.

I will definitely take a look at the K240 service manual thanks for the tip!

Oct 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard the K240s or K340s (me runs away and hides in shame) so can't really comment on them. They sound alright but the foam on the back is cumbling so they are really annoying to wear.

I will definitely take a look at the K240 service manual thanks for the tip!

they need new pads, too

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Just removed all the foam inside the cup that was falling out. Now I need some new foam inserts. I am thinking about rewiring them to double entry to get rid of the nasty cable. Anyone got some thoughts on what cable to get?

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 10
I don’t believe this! This is just … incredible. The day before I was going to post a review about the vintage Philips cans I own, and about which no info can be found on this forum and hardly any on the web, this particular thread is started and it concerns those exact same set of cans! Talk about coincidence!

So I’ve had this dilemma: should I just answer the OP's question here and add my own review, or should I start my own thread as planned, and include the name of the beast in the title, so others will be able to find it as well. I’ve decided to do the latter and cross-link my new thread to this one. I hope the moderators agree.

So… these Sextett look-alikes are called Philips N6330 and more info and a review I have posted in THIS THREAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back