Help me hear my ipod
Jun 17, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #31 of 45
Yep King ARagon is a good guy.

Tjeck this tread @ the louge:

We're trying to hack the limitation, but we havn't had luck yet. Currently im sending the US cd to a fellow in Eu. Well some smarthead are welcome to help us.

-->cyberhazard
I have a 15GB docking pod, sony D66 @ 75% volume and im a Dane but im not sure I have Bramage
frown.gif

edit: ups i forgot the link
redface.gif

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Jun 17, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

...lots of stuff about Apple being lazy and silly French laws.....

Good luck. Apple will not be changing the volume limiting anytime in the near future. It's not simply a matter of Apple being lazy, but a distribution issue in Europe. Yeah, let's try to sell iPods with crippled volume outs only in France...like that's easy to do. The Frech law is the ONLY reason the iPod output is crippled in Europe.
Don't talk to you about costs? Are you kidding?! What do you think Apple is trying to do here? Make a profit? It's far easier to keep things seperate across the pond then try to keep these "illegal" iPods out of France. You want to talk about law? I'm pretty sure Apple would be subject to a fine for EACH INSTANCE of these "illegal" iPods sold in France.
You don't see similar things on other mp3 devices in Europe? Somehow I don't think any other mp3 payers sell quite as many as Apple does -- making them the major target. They are quite serious about this, and it's even preventing Apple from introducing louder versions (in the future) in the US. Apple currently runs off a 3.3V supply that they further reduce to 3V with an LDO for the audio. They have no interest in increasing this level now or in the future.
Until the law is changed (not gonna happen), you guys are stuck with this crappy hack-job. Believe it or not, the US has similar laws regarding telecom outputs. Hefty fines included.
It IS about law. It IS about cost. I'm sure Apple loves all the hate mail from the Euros regarding the output levels. The fact is that the French law DOES exist (making your other law points moot at this time) and that it WOULD cost significantly more to provide seperate firmware just to France -- not to mention keep out a raging gray market.
frown.gif

That being said, I find the output levels too low myself on the US version even. Of course, that's driving HD580s directly (or tape adapters/RF modulators for the car). I have no problem with lower impedance cans. Best of luck in fixing the firmware -- I'm sure you guys will figure it out at some point.

Jun 17, 2003 at 10:57 AM Post #33 of 45
Finally - some constructive, informative info and links....

Many thanks.

Returned my ipod today and got a full refund from John Lewis (for US readers its a department store). They were great, and after the buyer listened to my unit, she said she will recommend that they cease stocking the ipod.

Take that Apple.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #34 of 45
Re-reading my last post it sounded a bit nasty...late night I guess. Apologies to all. Speaking with your wallet is about the only way we get things over here in the states. Sounds like you made the right move (for you).
There's still got to be decent gray market for US iPods in Europe, given the complaints. Anybody know anything about that?

Jun 17, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #35 of 45
Its a genuine shame - reading through the Euro forums, apple a re getting slaughtered over this. The store told me today that 11 of the 25 3rd gen ipods sold in the last 4 weeks have been returned, some for volume issues, others because they just broke. The build quality has to be questioned, I was astonished to find they are now made in China.

Apple has a lot to offer, though for too long they have ridden the anti microsoft wave, seems they are determined to set up a wave of their own.

Thanks again to those that were helpful -

Jun 18, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #36 of 45
I have a European iPod (bought in John Lewis) and find no problem with the volume. The Apple earbuds were cr*p but the Etys I bought are amazing - even on the tube (London underground), there's no problem in hearing my music.

Jun 19, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #38 of 45
OK, I have a 10G model with the scroll wheel, the one you dont move, and the volume is great. I can not listen to it at full volume, my ears would be deaf. I am getting my etys tommarow and i will tell you how that goes and if they go as loud as some other headphones. To be honest with you, when im listening in bed I dont think the volume goes low enough, it goes low and then turns off. If you really want your volume to go up follow this: Open up iTunes and click a song, then select information, the short cut is apple+I, then go over to options and you can increase the volume. The default it 50% so you can really make it loud by increasing it to 100% but do you really want to be deaf? Thats your call.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Knocturnal
The default it 50% so you can really make it loud by increasing it to 100%

Actually, the default is 0%. The scale goes from -100% to +100%
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Knocturnal
but do you really want to be deaf? Thats your call.
wink.gif

this is hard work.

You have a 2nd gen US spec ipod. The 3rd gen Euro spec ipods are volume capped. They are different. They are different to even the 2nd gen 20gb models my friends have. Please read the thread.

This is NOT a software issue. It seems likely that the Euro ipods contain a ROM that contains location information. To date nobody (and there are 100's trying) has managed a workaround.

Nobody want to be deaf. If you can afford an ipod its likely that you are not 6 years old nor especially stupid. I've had walkmans, discmans, Rio's.....The euro 3rg gen ipod produces less than half the volume of any product I've ever owned. Its that low. Apple fully admit that they have capped the euro ipods. It is a known problem to those that have bought them.

Jul 4, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #41 of 45
i wholeheartedly agree.

it is diabolical and a damned liberty that a company can release something with the "powerful amplifier" as a selling point that has been castrated so to speak.

i am english. i live in great britain. i have no real gripe with the french BUT i should not have to abide by their laws. Nor do i in everyday life.

I am lucky in that i have got the money to buy a) etymotic ER4p's and b) a Xin Supermini headphone amp. (btw i have the S cable also.) however this means the iPod has now cost £600!!! ($1000 US) to get some fricking volume!

******* it.........

other than flashing the bios chip i cannot see a work around which is a bit sad - there has to be a way round it - no way they used different hardware!

Jul 4, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #42 of 45
You gotta be crapting me! Are you deaf? My new 30 gig powers my ER-4Ps with no problem... all the way to the point of extreme pain. Also my Senn600s with Cardas cable work pretty well. You must have a lemon or bad mp3s...

Quote:

Originally posted by T07
I told everyone not to buy an ipod. I told them the sound quality was inferior to the Zen. I told them there were battery and volume issues. I told them it was WAY too expensive. They all listened to me.

So I went out and bought a 30gb ipod (I like to be different!!). Now I have a great looking bit of kit, but i'm terrified that one day one of my zen friends is going to ask if they can borrow it. Then they will say its broken because they can't hear it. I cant hear it. My dog cant hear it. It has no volume.

Please someone, whats the answer, headphone amp?

Please make suggestions as I've no experience of headphone amps.

Thanks

A. Schmuk

Jul 4, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
You gotta be crapting me! Are you deaf? My new 30 gig powers my ER-4Ps with no problem... all the way to the point of extreme pain. Also my Senn600s with Cardas cable work pretty well. You must have a lemon or bad mp3s...

Same here. my 30g iPod powers my *ER4S* with no problem! plenty of power there.

Jul 4, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #44 of 45
It appears that you two missed the posts on page 2 stating that the headphone out on the new ipods is capped for all members of the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back