Help me git lazy
Jun 28, 2009 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
So, being the illustrious undergrad that I am, I've decided to invest in a hammock. I'm working close to 40 hours a week this summer and could use something to relax on/with.

However, I'd like something cheap, seeing as how I can only use it a select few months a year.

I do know I'd prefer a net to straight material and I know I need a stand. There isn't anything close enough in my yard to hang a hammock from. I don't know much about stands, but if there's something collapsable and easy to store, I'd be willing to pay extra for it.

Anyway, I'd like to try to keep this under $100. any suggestions?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Have you been to hammocks.com? They have hammock stands for $120.

That aside, I'd be tempted to dig a hole about five or si feet deep, pour concrete down it, then stick in a steel pole for fencing. That would get ou something solid to hang your hammock on.

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been to hammocks.com? They have hammock stands for $120.

That aside, I'd be tempted to dig a hole about five or si feet deep, pour concrete down it, then stick in a steel pole for fencing. That would get ou something solid to hang your hammock on.

i've considered it but my father would rather i leave the soil in-tact, seeing as he'd like to try to sell the house this year.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #6 of 9
When I go bikepacking I sleep in a cheap, but nice, 1 person nylon hammock from walmart. $20. It is extremely comfortable and comparable to the high end ones.

If you are putting it in your backyard then you don't have to worry about size or weight, so I'd recommend you get a 2 person hammock for maximum comfort. I cannot comment on the string material as I haven't laid in one since I was a kid, but my advice is to get something bigger than you really need.

Also, some portability factor would be nice (being able to tie to a tree), so you can take your hammock to a nice secluded park and chill out in the woods, by a lake, at the beach, or any number of serene and relaxing spots surrounded by mother nature. Don't forget your portable rig either and some nice cold drinks.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe some of us should come over and put it together for you.

if you're in the area :wink:

thanks for the suggestions. i'll head down to walmart on my day off and see what they have. the nearest lowes is not exactly "near" at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back