Help me get my Senn on
Nov 13, 2003 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vmixer

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm still a relative newb, but I've recently been upgrading (just got Grado SR-225s, amp's on the way) and, along with my trusty V6s and KSC-35s, currently have a pair of Senn HD-475s which I bought maybe 4-5 years ago? Anyway, they've never really done it for me, although they seem accurate, reasonably rich and "laid back," in the way that folks tend to describe the stand-out qualities of Senns. I'll definitely give them another go when my amp arrives, but I'm wondering if I wanted to do better in the ~$100-150 range with Senns, what do people like?

I should say that what I'm really trying to do is fill a spot in my lineup with something less-aggressive/dark/rich/laid back, etc. (as opposed to my Grados, which are tons of fun and involving to listen to, but not something that, for example, you'd necessarily want singing you to sleep a few nights a week).

A friend has a pair of HD-580s that I've auditioned and I like them quite a bit, they seem to have all the virtues about Senns that folks extol in spades, but I'm not ready to spend that much at the moment. Is there a "poor man's" version of these? I've also been tempted by a couple AKG offerings that I've heard/heard about (501s, the venerable 240s). I'd ideally also like something that leaks less than the Grados since I've had some comments from she-who-sleeps-beside-me. Ideas?

Cheers,
--Geoff

p.s. source is/will be a Rotel RCD-971 into a PIMETA and an iPod; tastes are pretty broad, with the bulk being alt/modern/classic rock, hip-hop and electronica.

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 10
580's and 600's should be dirt cheap in the for sale forum nowadays. Barring that, the HD590's are one of my favourites, although they slightly more forward than the 580's (nowhere near grado though).

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, the Senn 580 are $160 at Amazon, so if you shop around online or in the For Sale forum you should be able to find them for even cheaper. Or post an ad in the For Sale forum with your maximum price (maybe $120-130) -- someone will jump on it.

Nov 13, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't think there is a poor man's HD580's. The 580's themselves are a poor man's HD600's or 650's
biggrin.gif
For the prices the 580's go for these days, new or used, they are a total steal IMO. Just get them and they will probably grow on you. As much as I love my grado 225's, there are certain things the 580's do much better with: movies, and any kind of music where I want the soundscape to fill my entire head, rather than just focusing on specific parts of the music like with the grados.

Nov 13, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for all the advice/replies. Sounds like the thing to do is hold out for cheap 580s. Btw, don't know if it's cool to post this here (let me know and I'll edit or remove my post), but I did a price search on froogle (which seems to be getting better every day) and found them new for $157 at etronics.com. When I went to the etronics site, I clicked their "email me a better price" button and they sent me a quote for $149! My wallet is mulling it over...

Thanks!
--Geoff

Nov 13, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 10
If you're already getting an amp.. there's no question whatsoever you should just get the HD580. You're right about that street price too, you can easily find them for about $150 from various sites now.

I use froogle all the time.. it's great.. much better listing than MySimon.

The HD590 sounds great coming from any source, but doesn't improve much with an amp... which makes it a great.. er.. dead-end headphone?
smily_headphones1.gif

HD580 is one of the best overall headphone out there.. I still have a place in my heart for them, even though I've moved on..

Nov 14, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 10
sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but do you guys think a headsave MiniMe will be able to drive the 580's sufficiently?

Nov 14, 2003 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Oh yeah, sounds like HD580s all the way. A steal for $150, IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

The closest thing to a poor man's HD580s that I've heard is the Sony MDR-CD580s (maybe $50 or $60). But just go for the HD580s, or you'll die of curiosity as to what you're missing.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by vmixer
I should say that what I'm really trying to do is fill a spot in my lineup with something less-aggressive/dark/rich/laid back, etc. (as opposed to my Grados, which are tons of fun and involving to listen to, but not something that, for example, you'd necessarily want singing you to sleep a few nights a week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back