Help me fix my Porta Corda??
Dec 2, 2004 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dshook

New Head-Fier
Hello All

Im new to this forum, and I am just starting to realize the joys of higher quality headphoning. I just picked up a set of Ety Er6i's and a used Porta Corda mkII amp. I have been having some rather serious troubles with the amp, I was hoping someone could perhaps give me some advice to help me troubleshoot and fix the problem.

Here goes:

The problem I amd having is, after hooking up the amp, the volume increases up until about 1/4 of the corda volume dial rotation (still quieter than the input source), but almost instantly past that point on the knob, the sound breaks up very badly, the treble disappears almost completely and the bass crackles and cuts in and out. Everything now gets quieter and quiter as I keep increasing the volume until there is complete silence at maximum volume.

If I leave the volume at or slightly below the point where it breaks up, I can vary the source volume and maintain the clear sound, but as soon as the volume knob on the corda is turned up at all beyond that point the sound breaks up again.

I have tested the amp now with both a portable MP3 source and a large home amplifier as a source, as well as with my pair of etymotic er6i's and a larger pair of at-home headphones, and the problem seems to be consistent. Also, changing the mode of the amp and the LED, as well as the crossfeed switch seems to have no effect. Lastly, I am not sure if this is relevant but the volume knob is reasonably noisy to adjust...although I suspect it is supposed to be.

Any help as far as what to test/replace would be most appreciated. Help out a newbie!

Thanks guys

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
This may be a silly question, but, did you try a fresh battery in it?

Yep, brand new battery.

And yeah im thinking its the pot, because if you turn the source volume off, its scratchy to adjust the volume but right at the point where the sound goes to ****, the pot also gets dead silent to adjust...like theres no contact anymore or something?? Does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back