Help me find something that sounds kinda, sorta, but not really like a Senn HD 650 for around $100
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version ipod? I needed well under 50% with my shuffle, but I try to keep my listening under 75 dB (average).

I'm using my 5G iPod. Listening to it in a quieter environment, 50% is the very minimum I'd go. 75% gives an adequate amount. 90-100% seems like that sweetspot.

I also second the HD-555. I've heard that myself because I recommended it to my brother. Your friend won't be disappointed.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #33 of 42
Hd650's don't reach their full potential from an iPod, but they certainly do not sound "bad". I hear this said a lot and simply cannot understand it, I think the HD650's sound great from my iPod touch you just have to crank the volume up a bit. Of course they sound a lot better with an amp but they still sound good from an iPod. "Good" is of course subjective, but the point stands.

As an anology; If the Amp is a car driver and the headphones are the car...

Then a well amped HD650 is like Michael Schumacher driving a Ferrari F430. And Hd650's from an iPod is a Ferrari F430 being driven by a normal person. One is faster than the other, but that doesn't mean the other one is slow.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #34 of 42
@Sutton:
I think the point is that the 'normal' person doesn't need [a car as pricey as] a Ferrari to drive that fast/slow..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #35 of 42
HD555 seems to be the logical choice. For 100 bucks, just get a cheap Sennheiser. You won't find anything at that price range that comes close to the HD650s

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 308med /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine is taking his first baby steps into the world of hifi and is looking for closed headphones around $100. [snip]
He wants:
Closed, Full Size
Laid back/veiled/whatever 650 type sound
He has:
$100 (prob willing to spend a bit more if needed)
An unamped ipod as a source
Thanks for any and all help.

look into the koss a130 (make sure that rattle issues have been addressed). this should be a great way to introduce him to real phones. it's a closed, full sized can that is light weight, comfy, not too difficult to drive, and it's sound signature isn't radically different than the senns. you also get koss's lifetime warranty should he ever have a problem.
this thread made me curious so i just dug out my a130s (rattle proofed - thanks nikongod!) and briefly compared 'em to my defoamed 580s (with a 650 cable) and my 650s with cardas cables. the koss, when they can be found, are well within your friend's budget. i'm listening to them as i type this and while i don't have a stock ipod i tried them both with a pcdp and my imod (via a mustang set to low gain) and i'm pretty sure he'll have no problem driving them directly from his ipod. right now i'm listening, via the a130s, to Robben Ford (thanks immtbiker!) and they're putting a smile on my face and tapping to my toes
smily_headphones1.gif
(actually this icon is a reasonable depiction of these cans....).

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 42
Why not ditch the "closed" requirement (most people don't really need closed) and get an HD580? That's pretty close.

If he truly needs closed, either because he's within a few feet proximity of someone who doesn't want to hear his music, or because he will use them in a very noisy environment, the D1001 is the best rec. on here, and it's not terribly close.

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not ditch the "closed" requirement (most people don't really need closed) and get an HD580? That's pretty close.

If he truly needs closed, either because he's within a few feet proximity of someone who doesn't want to hear his music, or because he will use them in a very noisy environment, the D1001 is the best rec. on here, and it's not terribly close.

x2 for 1001

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #40 of 42
either just buy the highest hd5xx sennheiser you can get for the $, or get the d1001 (though it might not be circumaural, depending upon ear size)-- he won't be disappointed.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 42
the senn hd265 uses the same drivers as a 545/565/580/600 and is a closed can. its older but can still be bought new if u search. one of the most balanced closed cans ever. (i have one of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back