help me find electrolytic caps in these sizes please?
Feb 2, 2009 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
Hi All,

I'm looking for 1000, 2200, 3300 and 4700 uF, 35V electrolytics that will fit where rubycon (not BG) caps now reside. I've found Panasonic NHG's, Silmic II's (although only up to 1000 uF), but no other 'high end' electrolytic caps that aren't massive (i.e. M-lytic caps). I've looked in digikey, welborne labs, audiyo, PC, sonicap, even take 5 audio. I'm looking for the most transparent cap possible.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

I'm looking for 1000, 2200, 3300 and 4700 uF, 35V electrolytics that will fit where rubycon (not BG) caps now reside. I've found Panasonic NHG's, Silmic II's (although only up to 1000 uF), but no other 'high end' electrolytic caps that aren't massive (i.e. M-lytic caps). I've looked in digikey, welborne labs, audiyo, PC, sonicap, even take 5 audio. I'm looking for the most transparent cap possible.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

I can't comment on Rubycon sizes, but those caps are all available from Mouser in Nichicon UPW and DigiKey in Panasonic FC. Both are high-quality power caps and used extensively in DIY headphone amp designs.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 7
Personally, I love Panasonic FM and they should be available at those sized from Digikey or Nichicon HE from Mouser and if those aren't available then go with Nichicon KZ which are a little more "audiophile" but I haven't noticed any improvement from them over Panasonic FM. If you can't find the KZ sizes from Mouser, check Percy Audio.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, I'll try Percy Audio. I'm looking to go as high as I can here b/c I'm not only looking for power caps. The 1000 uF caps are output caps. I've tried FM's and heard a huge improvement over them using Silmic II's. I suppose for the 3300/4700 I could use FC's/FM's, but will try to fit M-lytics onto the board. Unfortunately, this project is a mod so room is limited; also, the circuit is sensitive to caps all along the chain.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 7
I think Elna makes some very high quality monster caps, but I'm not sure they'd still be considered audio quality. If you're looking for something that big in a boutique, might as well parallel the smaller ones.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks Tomb, but I think if I'm going to parallel the smaller ones, then I may as well just run some leads to a M-lytic off-board(?). They're monster, supposedly audio quality and come in the values I need. They're also relatively accessible through audiyo.com and Parts Conn.

Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate the brainstorming and idea swapping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back