Help me find a specific kind of phone for workouts...
Jul 5, 2001 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Hi,
When I exercise, I use a Sony Walkman and a certain style of headphone. I prefer the kind that has a headband (no earbuds) but does not have pads. Sort of like this style:

HPJB213_L.jpg

What are considered to be the best in this variety of headphone? Thanks.

markl

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 25
Ah the wretched vertical type headphones... I think the only good ones are the Stax electostatic ones... and you can't even buy them...

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Unfortunately, good-sounding headphones of that type don't exist (at least not among the currently-produced models). All of the current vertical in-ear headphones are mediocre at best.

I hope this influences your decision.

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 25
Yea, chych - but those Staxes use a separate amp that's powered by either batteries or AC. markl meant vertical headphones that don't use a separate amp, but instead plug directly into an underpowered walkman.

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 25
Chances are Aiwa does make the best vertical headphones (that's what these are called). Sony's are terrible (I've used them) but Aiwa has a reputation of making very good low-priced earbuds. by the way, I like this type of headphone too! They're really quite handy since you can just rest them around your neck when you don't need them (something you can't do with regular earbuds). My ex70's have the neckchain cord which works pretty well, but I still like vertical headphones more. It's too bad there are no really good models to choose from.

Oh, and the stax does have a portable amp. the batteries don't last too long, but they are portable.

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 25
Hm, this makes me wonder... I mean, it has to be possible to somehow dismantle a vertical headphone and stick some earbuds on, no?

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
Oh, and the stax does have a portable amp. the batteries don't last too long, but they are portable.

As in roughly five hours on a set of batteries - that's about as short as a typical portable CDP did eight years ago! MUHAHAHA!!!

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 25
One of the big problems I have with this style of phone is the fact that sweat can literally build up and short the phone temporarily. I've found that all the Sony models I've tried suffer from this problem.

I useed to buy Aiwa phones years ago that were all black that lasted and did not have this problem. I bought a pair in the new style above, and again had issues.

Any other ideas?

Mark

Jul 5, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 25
If so, markl, you may want to look at those that claim to be "water-resistant". (Sony offers two models of that type - but they are yellow in color.) Sure, the sound will be at best mediocre, but when you're running on a treadmill, most people won't notice much difference between those "water-resistant" verticals and better-sounding headphones.

Jul 5, 2001 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 25
the sound will be absolutely wretched. Those are the same headphones I used to have.

Jul 5, 2001 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 25
As in "too much mid/upper-bass and recessed mids and honky highs"? Even my el-cheapo MDR-E828LP conventional earbuds sound clearer than those vertical turds!
eek.gif
Those verticals you speak about, Neruda, are poor design with crappy parts! (At least my 828's are good design with crappy parts.)

Jul 5, 2001 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 25
yup, that's a perfect description. Oh, but you forgot one thing: the complete lack of low freqency response.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back