Help me find a pair that suits me
Jun 5, 2009 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Joakcbasse

New Head-Fier
I'm about to get my second pair of headphones, after my Grado SR60s broke down recently. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Price range: i can stretch up to $100 if it makes a huge difference, but i'd MUCH rather be in the $60-70 range.
- I'll be using it exclusively for listening to music on my laptop at home, without an amp. Probably doesn't matter if it's open or closed
- Listen to: rock, dance, classical, jazz, rap, folk. A good variety, really.
- I'd prefer circumaural (around the ears), simply because i'd think it'd be more comfortable that way... but it's not a big deal as long as it's comfortable.
- I am interested in a good bass, better than the Grado SR60s
- I need it to be pretty durable, because I am poor. My Grados only lasted about 15 months or so.

My experience with Grado SR60s (my first "real" headphones) was about a 7/10, I would say. I generally liked it, but there is room for improvement. I enjoyed the mids and highs, but found the bass a bit lacking.

What headphones fit this description? I've done some lurking, and I've come across Sennheiser HD555, Equation RP-21. Those are slightly pricey, but if it's really worth it, I'd bite the bullet.

thanks for any help in advance!

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 9
One of the cables is exposed (i can see the red and blue wires that it's supposed to be protecting). The black covering is ripped, and from the looks of it, it's because i twirled my earcups around too often. This is at the point in which the two cables meet together, at the thing with "GL" on it.

It didn't used to be a problem, but now it produces a distinct crackling sound often, making the headphones basically unlistenable.

I think I'm leaning strongly towards AKG K81DJ or Equation RP-21 for my replacement right now. Any thoughts on those, or any other suggestions?

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 9
I'll take them off your hands.
smily_headphones1.gif

DT770s, Beyers in general are pretty bullet proof.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
You could contact Grado Labs, and they can re-cable them for you -- not sure the charge for that, if that is worth it for a $65 headphone.

If you like the active sound of the Grado, then you might want to look into the Audio Technica ATH-ES7. They have a lively sound like the Grado, but not quite as much mid-range are forward-ness as the Grados. You can get them for $90 on Amazon.com. (Be careful with anyone selling them below that price, as there are loads of fake ES7 headphones for sale on the www, usually selling from Asia.)

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 9
The repair service rate is $40ish I think.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 9
You can also have your SR-60 recabled by a member here. Many of them will do it for you - ask in the DIY Forum. Do not throw them away - if you don't want to recable, someone else would love to have them.

Under $100, I really like the Sony MDR-V6. I owned a pair for years (before finding this place
tongue.gif
) and loved them. Best of all, you can often find the MDR-V6 at bricks'n'mortar retail shops, so you can give them a try before buying. I've seen them go as low as $50 refurbished from sonystyle.com, as well.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 9
thanks for the advice so far. i actually was gonna toss the Grados out, but now i'll sit on it. Not sure whether i want to recable or sell it now.

But aside from that, any thoughts on Equation RP-21 or AKG K81DJ? Do they fit my criteria or is there another pair that i should look into that does? I actually want something a bit different from the Grados right now, because the SR60 didn't have enough bass for my taste.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 9
some people say grado must be recabled, do it and get some modification on the earcup , use wood housing >
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe sr60 with proper mod will become more spasius and get more bass impact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back