Help me find a DAP ~$300
Jan 12, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 44

Take the iBasso DX80.

While you're at it check my profile at the sources I've own/owned for reassurance.

It is definitely at the top of my very short list of DAPs for sure. Would you happen to have heard the Meze 99 Classics? Looked on your list and didn't see them, but there's a lot to look through so I'm not sure if I just missed them. If you have, do you think they would pair well with the DX80?

BTW, that is the type of headphone list I would like to have, but I'm too broke to own all that. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #17 of 44
  It is definitely at the top of my very short list of DAPs for sure. Would you happen to have heard the Meze 99 Classics? Looked on your list and didn't see them, but there's a lot to look through so I'm not sure if I just missed them. If you have, do you think they would pair well with the DX80?

BTW, that is the type of headphone list I would like to have, but I'm too broke to own all that. 
biggrin.gif

No, I've not tried that headphone.

If you're going to buy new and won't take a DX90, then DX80 is my next choice.

Its quite a good player, modern, dual DACs, nice size touchscreen, dual card slots, optical out, DAC function. The Cayin N5 is a little cumbersome to use but its design is completely unqiue, a real table piece. AK JR is also a great sounding unit, little warm, musical, the sound is quite good but as you've probably read the UI can lag, I would also consider it the less bang for buck unless buying super cheap compared to the iBasso's.

iBasso have always been known for bang for buck, they use good internals, specs, they do it for the people, the music. While I have heard better players technically they are my choice in value for money from that list, especially their detail levels. The detail from my DX90 can just about outmatch my AK300, its very vivid, revealing, clear clean sound. iBasso DX80 is a bit smoother, warmer but quite strong in resolution.

I will take a touchscreen device in 2017 over pretty much anything else unless its sound was just terrible.

Keep in mind though DX80 is a little thick in size.

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 44
Well it comes down to these two:
AK Jr. (Back in the race because of Bluetooth and size)
DX80
I thought about it, and slow is something I can live with, so the AK is back in for now. It's a tough choice between them and the DX80, so I'm still thinking on it. I know you said the DX80 sounds better H20Fidelity, so the DX80 is slightly in the lead, but certain design elements of the AK Jr keep pulling me back to it (volume wheel, sleek profile, large touchscreen, simple but elegant look).
Other than the slow UI, did it have any other problems? I've been using an x1 first gen for a while, and the slow UI doesn't bother me all that much.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 44
Nope, no other problem. To nitpick a bit, maybe bluetooth not strong enough. I only get ard 3 meters before it starts to sound choppy.

Yea AKjr is uber sleek I doubt anyone disagree with that. But the UI, wew, it's unbearable. If you really interested, go to audio shop and try it for a while. Don't forget to bring your fully loaded mSD.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 44
Nope, no other problem. To nitpick a bit, maybe bluetooth not strong enough. I only get ard 3 meters before it starts to sound choppy.

Yea AKjr is uber sleek I doubt anyone disagree with that. But the UI, wew, it's unbearable. If you really interested, go to audio shop and try it for a while. Don't forget to bring your fully loaded mSD.

Hah! I wish. There's isn't an audio store within 300 miles of me. I wish there was.
And a "fully loaded" ad card for me is about 8-10 gigs. I don't have much music. I am also a lazy iTunes user so all of it is AAC and ALAC which I believe is smaller than MP3 and FLAC.
It's looking like the AK Jr now. I just can't get over it's size and functionality (other than UI). That volume wheel and sleek profile won me over, more than a sluggish UI could ever dissuade me.
How does it sound overall? Is it worth $300?

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 44
Hah! I wish. There's isn't an audio store within 300 miles of me. I wish there was.
And a "fully loaded" ad card for me is about 8-10 gigs. I don't have much music. I am also a lazy iTunes user so all of it is AAC and ALAC which I believe is smaller than MP3 and FLAC.
It's looking like the AK Jr now. I just can't get over it's size and functionality (other than UI). That volume wheel and sleek profile won me over, more than a sluggish UI could ever dissuade me.
How does it sound overall? Is it worth $300?

Well it's a much better price than it's original price. I think at $300, SQ wise it's fine but to me the killer is the lag so if that doesn't bother you then it's fine.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #22 of 44
Well it's a much better price than it's original price. I think at $300, SQ wise it's fine but to me the killer is the lag so if that doesn't bother you then it's fine.

I don't know how bad the lag would be for me with my dismal amount of music. :p
Hey, you wouldn't happen to know the output impedance would you? Having a tough time finding it online.

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 44
I currently have the DX80 and it has been good to me so far. I listen to variety of music from classical, electronic, hip-hop, pretty much everything except country. The only thing I would like to be able to do with it is output audio via usb for when connecting it to ifi micro idsd. I do still use the ifi with it, but with the optical out. I am currently looking to upgrade, but haven't decided yet. If you have any specific questions about the player let me know, and I will try best to answer.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 44
Well it comes down to these two:
AK Jr. (Back in the race because of Bluetooth and size)
DX80
I thought about it, and slow is something I can live with, so the AK is back in for now. It's a tough choice between them and the DX80, so I'm still thinking on it. I know you said the DX80 sounds better @H20Fidelity, so the DX80 is slightly in the lead, but certain design elements of the AK Jr keep pulling me back to it (volume wheel, sleek profile, large touchscreen, simple but elegant look).
Other than the slow UI, did it have any other problems? I've been using an x1 first gen for a while, and the slow UI doesn't bother me all that much.

Actually, I wouldn't say DX80 is leagues above AK JR in sound, just a bit different. If you're a real detail/resolution freak DX80 is probably going to make you happier. There are other areas like DX80 having more output power to keep in mind what you'll be running with the player. Long as you're not after the end to all in detail AK JR is a really nice sounding unit, a little warm (still clear) with a musical analogue nature. I wouldn't use JR to completely energize myself (ie iBasso) but it has a wonderful tone and ambiance you kind of feel from the music, the bass is also well controlled.

JR actually outperformed my expectations, with a case its a really slim, slick looking unit.

I have no problems using a 32GB card and browsing by folder view. Others in the JR thread mention the UI lagging terribly when browsing by genre, album, artist etc, others have mentioned it being slow when running DSD and 24bit tracks. For me, using 16/44 FLAC the way I mentioned it works fine. Maybe a slight 0.5 seconds delay when going through screens but nothing that doesn't seem normal. I won't be selling the AK JR, its earned a place in my stable to stay. Especially for late night listening.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #27 of 44
Actually, I wouldn't say DX80 is leagues above AK JR in sound, just a bit different. If you're a real detail/resolution freak DX80 is probably going to make you happier. There are other areas like DX80 having more output power to keep in mind what you'll be running with the player. Long as you're not after the end to all in detail AK JR is a really nice sounding unit, a little warm (still clear) with a musical analogue nature. I wouldn't use JR to completely energize myself (ie iBasso) but it has a wonderful tone and ambiance you kind of feel from the music, the bass is also well controlled.

JR actually outperformed my expectations, with a case its a really slim, slick looking unit.

I have no problems using a 32GB card and browsing by folder view. Others in the JR thread mention the UI lagging terribly when browsing by genre, album, artist etc, others have mentioned it being slow when running DSD and 24bit tracks. For me, using 16/44 FLAC the way I mentioned it works fine. Maybe a slight 0.5 seconds delay when going through screens but nothing that doesn't seem normal. I won't be selling the AK JR, its earned a place in my stable to stay. Especially for late night listening.

Well that seals the deal. I really, really want the AK Jr. Ordering it soon. Not looking for a ton of power, or a ton of clarity, just something musical and fun with a sleek profile and a decent UI, and it seems to fit the bill. Thanks for all the help!

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 44
I would love to hear your thoughts too. Especially coming from an X5II that when operating fine is not that slow an interface once you get used to it. I was between the X5II and the DX80 for two weeks for me. I knew what I would get in the FiiO which made it a hard decision. I went big on the X7 with 3 amps. Man what a pinball machine. Try this firmware, then this one, then this one. Each time functions would be corrected and functions that worked prior were now buggy. It's too bad because that Sabre DAC implementation sounds really good on my systems. When it worked it was fantastic. Once they figure it all out, that is going to be a really nice player. As well as the X5III will certainly be. That X5III will be the most written about DAP on here for many month as . It has already started and not yet available State side. Great starting price too At $399. Can't wait to test that little baby out.

After having firmware whoas with the X7 I read as much as I could on both DAPs. Time and time again I read about the AKjrs lag in getting through a full card of music. Being a single card slot was also a wrench in the Jr for me. Most of my collection on my micro sd cards is 24 bit audio or 16bit FLAC. It takes up space. And the AKjr was known to be very slow in processing those files. Jr as in the little chip they have in there is not up to the challenge to handle a heavy load. I am sure someone here on head-if has figured out what microprocessing chip they are using for this ui. It would be nice if they could revise to a JRII with the right muscle to drive it. Watch some videos with people using the UI on you tube and decide if it is adequate.

This is a portable device and when you are on the go, I don't care how slick your DAP looks, if you are fiddling around with it because it it is slow to operate, that does not look very cool to the people waiting there with you. The DX80 delivered in many ways. The SQ was an added bonus I was not even expecting. You need a DAP that you can turn on quickly, get to your list however you like to search quickly and press play. The front play/pause skip, for and rewind implementation while having he screen off saving you battery life is pretty darn slick and throughout the DX line. Becoming a fanboy, was mostly FiiO prior. Pretty much have tested every FiiO and owner most. Have not owned the X3s but tried them. IBasso is hitting out of the park at good prices too. The DX80s implementation of a dual SD card is the best I have experienced. It combines both cards into one list. Every other DAP I Am aware you access each card individually.

Reviews you read of DAPs being slow to add new music is not the fault of the DAPs and this is good to know. No matter what way you try to get music on these little cards, expect to wait an hour or longer to get any significant amount of music on there. We all have to deal with it. There is no quick way about it no matter what DAP you have. Maybe they ridiculously priced AKs do. I have not wanted to spend big money like that on a portable. The real issue is how quickly your DAP can catalog that media library so you can start accessing your new micro so you switched out. The DX80 had no problems getting through 2 full 200gb cards in less than a few minutes. Not sure how the JR holds up but I have read that you might as well put it in your pocket for a while to wait for your media library list to get done. any Jr users out there, would you agree?

The JR also had an MSRP at one point of $549 I believe not far off from their newest DAP I saw on B&H for around $899, the AK300. I am very curious about that DAPs processor and the implementation of the AK4490. Huge price drops on the JR which is supposed to be in the $500 class of DAPs. It should have been msrp of $299 at its launch even if it was an AK. Just my opinion. An equivalent $300 AK to their other offerings and great UIs is about right. They did not put enough in there IMO.

Really I think in this price bracket you have to be looking at the the X5II, AKJr at current pricing, the DX80 and the Cayin N5. I have heard them all and honestly in terms of SQ, I think most would agree they are all pretty darn good sounding. If you can trust Pioneer at this point to put out firmware even at all, their player would be really nice at current pricing. I have owned enough Pioneer equipment in my life to know they typically only put out 1-2 firmware on any product cycle. Don't expect much more than that.

Anyone that can wait though might want to read up on that X5 gen 3. The X7 is a different beast really with its mod possibility, I tried 3 of the the different A series module amps and it's pretty cool to change it up for different headphone needs. After buying a FiiO A5 amp at about the same price as those modules, the X7 starts to look pricey when at the same price as the X5III and an A5, I have no idea how they are gonna sell the X7. I believe when the firmware is just right, many here on Head-Fi will buy them new at ridiculously low prices. Maybe a 500 unit big Massdrop for the community when they finally get it straight. That would be a really nice contribution for all the beta testing Head-Fi users have done for them over the years. It would fuel some X7 buzz too because it truly is one of the best sounding Portable audio players I have ever heard. Keep in mind the X5III is basically an X7 without the amp module feature.

Consider the DX50, for $200 on Amazon right now too. Has the same DAC as the AKjr and basically a DX80 in a smaller package, one micro ad card slot. Hopefully stable firmware. I could not tell you. No experience with it. 14 hour battery, not bad.

Reading this thread, I am wanting to hear the DX90 now. How is the firmware on the DX90? Is it stable to run it simply as a functional player? Every unit is different. You have to ask :)

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #30 of 44
Good post NoteEater.
I'll be sure to post impressions, but please note that I couldn't describe Sound quality to save my life.
That sucks about the x7. It's a good looking DAP, but I couldn't justify buying one at that price. I decided on the AK because I really didn't need a lot of the functions of the others, and the AK had just exactly what I needed with a great profile and only one big complaint. I'm sure I won't have any huge problems out of it.
And since the price has dropped to a reasonable one iI see no reason not to go with it. Unless it is just rediculously slow I don't think that will be enough to return it. My current library only takes about 30 seconds to update on a fiio x1, and that is at the slowest, usually it is much faster. I don't think the AK will be slower than that, but I may be proven wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back