Help me find a DAC/Amp for Desktop PC. $250-$300 price range.
Feb 21, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 26
I doubt the DAC has much to say to the PC, most days. :)

Thanks for that info about "Pass Through Mode." That is certainly what I'd want for my setup.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #17 of 26
From the Wikipedia article on S/PDIF:

S/PDIF is unidirectional, so it lacks flow control and retransmission facilities. This limits its utility in data communications.

So, yes, you are correct, S/PDIF (including TOSLINK) does not handshake - it is intended for streaming bits. :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 26

This baby looks really good. Thank you for bringing this one to my attention!

From the little reading I've just done, the GE5670W tube is something I must get, or feel life-long shame, yes? And what of the OPA627 OpAmp? Is that equally worth the money?

Man, this does have everything I wanted, doesn't it? I love the old-school components. This thing should have no trouble out-performing my DragonFly. Not an easy task in this price range. The DF is god-tier on a budget.

I have D1 (the old model) with GE5670W and OPA627 OpAmp upgraded for 3 years, this dac/amp can drive low to high impedance cans smoothly.
You can check :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread

or
AudioGD NFB15
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624518/audio-gd-nfb-15-1-delivery-impression-thread
note: I enjoyed NFB-3 as dedicated DAC for my stereo system

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 26
And how is the sound, good man jazzwave, of the D1? Anything special?

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 26
Sound good, please take a note D1 headphone output is solidstate not tube. The tube will impact to pre tube output (RCA output).
The good thing of D1 has big ouput so can drive hi impedance like my HD600.

Feb 22, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #21 of 26
I'm reading the headphone out isn't all that good. And it's nearly useless for low impedance IEMs. Are you finding this, as well?

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 26
Klipsch RB-41 II Reference Series are passive speakers.  Your best bet would be something like the TEAC AH01.
- http://www.cnet.com/products/teac-reference-a-h01-amplifier-series/

If you go active speakers, then you can look at dac/headphone amp combos.  Options here include the Audiotrak Dr DAC3, TEAC UDH01, or Matrix Mini I.  Additionally, active will sound much better than passive at this price point.  Active speakers in the RB 41 II price range include the JBL LSR305 and Presonus Eris E5.

Hope that helps.  Happy hunting.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #23 of 26
I'm reading the headphone out isn't all that good.

Sounds pretty good to me with the original D1 (not the upgraded Plus). Seems to be the consensus here as well: http://www.head-fi.org/products/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1/reviews

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 26
I have a pair of Klipsch R6 and X7s IEMs. The X7s have 50 Ohm impedance, so they would probably be okay. But the R6 have 18 Ohm. This Maverik D1, would it be too powerful for easy listening on the R6?

I plan on buying a $300 over-ear, open back set of phones with subsequent paychecks. But in the interim, how might I fare with what I have now?

If worse comes to worse, I can use the PreAmp out to my Logitech Z-2300, and use its headphone amp. At least until I get better headphones or better speakers. The headphones will come first, though. They are next on my list of things to research.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #25 of 26
I'm reading the headphone out isn't all that good. And it's nearly useless for low impedance IEMs. Are you finding this, as well?

My lowest impedance :
Headphone : Grado SR60i 32Ohm/98dB
Earphone: Xiaomi 16Ohm and SE215 20Ohm/107dB.

I never use desktop amp (D1) for low impedance cans, just pust direct to tiny extenal (HifimeDiy, eSabre Async DAC)
But I will test for you

For new over ear and open headphone, check HD600 or HD650...I saw discount somewhere...amazon or?

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #26 of 26
Yes. The HD600 look right up my alley. I spent a good bit of yesterday reading the HD600 Appreciation thread here on Head-Fi. :)

I'm going to try and test a few different pairs out at some local store, just to be sure. But right now, those are likely the ones I shall buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back