Help me find a DAC/Amp for Desktop PC. $250-$300 price range.
Feb 20, 2015 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

PinkyPowers

Reviewer: The Headphone List
I've been using my Realtek HD on-board, and Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers. I'm ready (or nearly ready) to step it up a few notches. I'm not looking for portable. In fact, a proper desktop box would suit me best.

I'll be running Optical In from the on-board soundcard. It ought to support a variety of headphones, form IEMs to high impedance over-the-ear phones. It also should power some bookshelf speakers. I haven't decided on which to get, but something along the lines of the Klipsch RB-41 II Reference Series.

A gain adjuster is important, I should think, for the different types of headphones I might be using.

The Audioengine D1 looked promising. Though, I'm not sure it could power decent stereo speakers.

This system will be used for movie-watching, playing games, and music enjoyment. Surround sound is not something I need here... in spite of its benefits in gaming. Stereo has always been just fine for me.

What do you say? No more than $300, please.

PS. It should go without saying that sound-quality is fairly important, as well. :)

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 26
Based on those suggestions, maybe I ought to just go DragonFly 1.2 > Stand-alone Amp of some sort.

I already own a DragonFly 1.2. Take it with me everyday to work and spend hours upon hours listen through my Galaxy S4. I could buy another one for home use. I'd probably have better luck finding a stand-alone amp that does everything I need.

I really did want to go optical in. But it sounds like all the really good DACs that do that, and Amp in all the ways I want, are well over $300. The DragonFly and a good external Amp might just sound incredible.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 26
The Audioengine D1 looked promising. Though, I'm not sure it could power decent stereo speakers.

The D1 is a DAC and preamp. It will not power passive speakers.

I would recommend against the Klipsch RB-41 II if this is a desktop computer setup unless you have a good bit of experience listening to them. Many people find them to be a bit fatiguing for that use. Make sure that they are right for you.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 26
Oh, and this headphone amp, dac, preamp has optical input: http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

Then you could use the rest of your budget toward powered speakers/speaker amp.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 26
  I've been using my Realtek HD on-board, and Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers. I'm ready (or nearly ready) to step it up a few notches. I'm not looking for portable. In fact, a proper desktop box would suit me best.
I'll be running Optical In from the on-board sound card. It ought to support a variety of headphones, form IEMs to high impedance over-the-ear phones. It also should power some bookshelf speakers. I haven't decided on which to get, but something along the lines of the Klipsch RB-41 II Reference Series.
A gain adjuster is important, I should think, for the different types of headphones I might be using.
This system will be used for movie-watching, playing games, and music enjoyment. Surround sound is not something I need here... in spite of its benefits in gaming. Stereo has always been just fine for me.
What do you say? No more than $300, please.

For good bang for the buck setup.
FiiO E10K USB-DAC-amp ($75) and Monoprice 5' studio monitors ($148.95)
The FiiO E10K comes with a separate line-output (for speakers) and the Monoprice 5" are self-powered.
There are some great sounding lower impedance headphones (25-Ohms to 150-Ohms), which the E10K could easily drive.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 26
Oh, and this headphone amp, dac, preamp has optical input: http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p

Then you could use the rest of your budget toward powered speakers/speaker amp.

This baby looks really good. Thank you for bringing this one to my attention!

From the little reading I've just done, the GE5670W tube is something I must get, or feel life-long shame, yes? And what of the OPA627 OpAmp? Is that equally worth the money?

Man, this does have everything I wanted, doesn't it? I love the old-school components. This thing should have no trouble out-performing my DragonFly. Not an easy task in this price range. The DF is god-tier on a budget.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 26
How often do these tubes go bad, do you think?

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 26
  How often do these tubes go bad, do you think?

I guess some tube amplifiers use surplus Russian and Chinese military tubes.
Tubes made as for back as the 80s, left in warehouses (new in the box) for the past 30 years.
Guess Military grade tube are well made.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 26
I've continued my research, and I've observed a strange phenomenon. Practically nobody uses Optical In on their DACs. Even on those rare occasions when the option is available to them. They choose, almost down to the last person, to go USB.

Why? Optical seems best to me. USB buses are renowned for their finickiness. Is there something I'm missing? Should I, too, go USB?

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 26
  I've continued my research, and I've observed a strange phenomenon. Practically nobody uses Optical In on their DACs. Even on those rare occasions when the option is available to them. They choose, almost down to the last person, to go USB.
Why? Optical seems best to me. USB buses are renowned for their finickiness. Is there something I'm missing? Should I, too, go USB?

I'm going to assume that a lot of people like using USB because it's just easier to hook up, you just plug in USB and it works (most of the time).
Also with USB, the sound card is totally bypassed, which might help keep the digital audio stream "unmolested", by any features (surround sound, EQ, etc) that the sound card might do with the audio stream.
I have the NFB-15.32 and I usually just use S/PDIF optical, as the VIA drivers for the USB are less then perfect.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 26
That's an interesting point. I considered Optical unmolested because it bypasses the on-board DAC. But I guess there are other tweaks that my Realtek HD chipset might apply.

I'll have to try both USB and Optical to see which one I like best. That is, when I buy my DAC. That will likely be end of next week.

The Maverick TubeMagic D1 still looks like my favored choice right now. In fact, I'm down-right anxious to get my hands on her.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 26
  That's an interesting point. I considered Optical unmolested because it bypasses the on-board DAC. But I guess there are other tweaks that my Realtek HD chip-set might apply.

Optical can also be set to bypass the sound card features, but it's not the default Windows S/PDIF setup, you have to go into the Playback tab and set audio to "S/PDIF pass-though device"

Another advantage for USB is it's designed for 2-way communication, I've always assumed(?) S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) is more just one-way communication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back