Help Me Find A Balanced Amplifier
Aug 25, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #16 of 23
Also, sorry guys, but it's wrong to talk about "balanced headphone". You cannot drive those dynamic phones balanced.

I completely disagree. As long as the headphones are wired for dual mono
you can drive them with a balanced amplifier. Just like many speakers
are driven from balanced output amplifiers (krell, pass labs...)

Other than the balanced input there is a definite advantage to driving
headphones balanced. Twice the slew rate. Balanced rise and fall times
which reduce many kinds of distortions due to imbalance in the pnp
and npn transistors (or tubes with current sources).

Disadvantage to balanced amplifiers is that each side see's half the
impedance of the headphones. For tube amplifiers and grado's each
side sees only 16 ohms of impedance. Unless you are going to put
in monster tubes, many tube amplifiers are going to have a very hard time
driving this.

Balanced input is something different entirely, and is also highly
recommended even if the output is not going to be balanced.
Basically for the same reasons. Looking back from the balanced source.

If you have serious bucks to spend then buy a pair of the smallest
atmasphere amps which are balanced input, balanced output and
wire your headphones for dual mono.

Aug 25, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
I completely disagree. As long as the headphones are wired for dual mono
you can drive them with a balanced amplifier. Just like many speakers
are driven from balanced output amplifiers (krell, pass labs...)

Yeah, ok you can drive them with balanced amp, but what i mean is the phone is not in "balanced mode". You just have the ground and the line (hot).
You don't use pin 3 of the XLR headphone cable, right?

Correct me if i'm wrong but from what i understand a real balanced amp is made with 2 amp 'module' in push-pull for each channel, you can have good noise rejection but IMO the simple the better is with music signal.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #18 of 23
After first hearing my first balanced headphone combo (Meridian 508.24->Blockhead w/Stepped Attenuators->HD600/CardasXLR), I knew that a balanced system was the key for eking out every last bit of information from the Sennheisers (others like the R10 and HP-1000 may not benefit as much from such a system; it’s also easier to implement on the HD6xx due to its easily-replaceable cable). The same source and headphones (Cardas non-balanced, of course) connected to the Max just didn't sound close to the quality of the Blockhead - the main difference had to be the balanced amp. After hearing the Meridian 588->Gilmore Reference driving the HD650/Silver Dragon in balanced and unbalanced mode the difference was again very obvious. However, the most powerful improvement was demonstrated when comparing the balanced PS-1 to the regular PS-1; it was like I was hearing another, better headphone than the regular PS-1 could ever be! The balanced PS-1 is the only Grado I’ve heard that creates a satisfactory soundstage almost comparable to the HD650 (I'm serious). It really is an amazing experience that must be heard (though the increased weight of the headphone is a major detriment, IMO). Also, my budget is not adequate enough to consider anything above $3000, so I guess the Blockhead is out and so is the balanced Supra. I really enjoyed the Gilmore Reference, and it does fulfill all of my requirements (laddered attenuators, fully-balanced input/output). Unless there are any other choices between $2500 - 3000 then the GR wins my pennies (but it'll have to wait awhile). Thanks again for all the input fellas - any other suggestions/criticisms are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #19 of 23
I don't have a balanced amp yet. But I made the following experiences with my dual-mono amp:
1) separate cable to each side of the headphone adds space and resolution.
I use 2 XLR plugs and gotham mini-quad for the replacement cables.
2) Using the balanced output of my SCD-player with my non-balanced amp adds more air to the sound.

I am confused about 2)... The common ground
very_evil_smiley.gif
normally used seems to muddy the sound. Total channel separation is a must.

Maybe a balanced amp is the last step to perfect sound.
580smile.gif

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 23
I have made arrangements with a certain Head-Fi member to build me a completely maxed-out dynamight (fully-balanced dynahi) for a very reasonable price (not for several months, however – I may need to buy a new car as my 1990 Maxima is slowly approaching its 15th year and headed for the grave). I have seen his work before and I trust him with the execution completely. The balanced dynahi (dynamight) is said to be several notched above the Gilmore Reference, which is my favorite solid-state amp as of now; I can't even imagine how amazing a fully balanced HD650 rig will be with the dynamight driving it.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. If anyone else wants information regarding this assembler, let me know and I’ll ask him if it’s OK to distribute information (specs/pics) about his dynahi implementations.

Sep 13, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 23
awww... so this means you don't want my balanced reference? I'm most likely going to keep it anyways so no problem.
tongue.gif

I'll have an outrageous SinglePower amp in a bit too... the build time for this will be a while with all the new stuff Mikhail is putting in it, but once it is done I'll definitely try to have a (mini) meet to show it off. we can have a massive comparison of balanced amplifiers.
biggrin.gif
(we need to get a blockhead somehow....)

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
To clarify: yes, I am looking for a headamp with balanced ins and outs. A maxed-out (upgraded internal wiring & Black Gate caps) single-box Gilmore Reference can be had for ~ $2000, and that is with Laddered attenuators. I have heard gpalmer's 2-box (even costlier) maxed-out Gilmore Reference with the balanced PS-1, balanced RS-1, HD600/CardasXLR and HD650/SilverDragonXLR. I have also heard the Blockhead with Stepped Attenuators paired with the balanced RS-1 and HD600/Cardas (and the BH w/Potentiometers with the HD650/SD XLR and PS-1/XLR). I have never heard the balanced Supra (one is being built for Tom Hankins, I believe), but I have heard the standard Supra and it was amazing. All the amps mentioned above are extremely good, but the GR is certainly the most affordable. There must be more than just these three, however. Suggestions?
confused.gif

Mikhail will build any of his amps in balanced if you want. You could get a balanced MPX3 with some extras on it for about the price of the Gilmore, PPX3 with extras for less. two complete amps and power supplies. He uses one volume control so you dont have to worry about the dual volume troubles. These might be some options for you. Give him a call he might be able to do the Supra-XLR in your price range. Mine is going to be two SDS amps in one box and the power supplies in another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back