Help Me Find A Balanced Amplifier
Aug 25, 2004 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

NeilPeart

Headphoneus Supremus
The DAC1 has finally brought total synergy to my system, and it has re-affirmed my love of the Sennheiser sound. Aside from the Orpheus and 010 (I have never heard those), I prefer the Senn goods above all other cans and will maximize this with the purchase of the HD650 and a balanced Zu Mobius cable. However, I need a balanced headphone amplifier to take advantage of the DAC1's balanced output. Here are the ones I have in mind (cost or type is unimportant):

Headamp Gilmore Reference
Headroom Blockhead
Singlepower Supra XLR

I know there must be other balanced dynamic amps out there - any input is appreciated.

Aug 25, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 23
All three are fine amps, but my one suggestion is to use stepped attenuators so that you don't have to worry about fine tuning two volume control knobs. That would drive me nuts.

Aug 25, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 23
I could not recommend strongly enough trying to audition what ever you decide upon. Make sure it is truly balanced including a separate power supply for each channel. Properly implementing it is not as trivial as it sounds and for the money you are investing you do not want to be disappointed with any aspect of your system. Unfortunately I have only auditioned the Blockhead so I could not compare it to the others you mention. However, I can say with some certainty that the recent bashing some have given it is not deserved at all. I have throughly enjoyed it when I had one for an audition and at several meets when coupled with excellent sources and it never failed to please.

Aug 25, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart

Headamp Gilmore Reference
Headroom Blockhead
Singlepower Supra XLR

I know there must be other balanced dynamic amps out there - any input is appreciated.

Does Mikhail offer a balanced output option on the Supra?
confused.gif

You're asking for an amp that has both balanced inputs and headphone outputs, right?

Headamp Gilmore Reference offers the best bang for the buck, IMO.
Of course, if money were no object, I'm sure Mikhail could come up with one bad@ssed Balanced output Supra. Now that would be one helluva monster.

-Ed

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I could not recommend strongly enough trying to audition what ever you decide upon. Make sure it is truly balanced including a separate power supply for each channel. Properly implementing it is not as trivial as it sounds and for the money you are investing you do not want to be disappointed with any aspect of your system. Unfortunately I have only auditioned the Blockhead so I could not compare it to the others you mention. However, I can say with some certainty that the recent bashing some have given it is not deserved at all. I have throughly enjoyed it when I had one for an audition and at several meets when coupled with excellent sources and it never failed to please.

He's heard all of them, except for a Balanced Supra, which to my knowledge, does not exist.

If I was rich, I'd have both Ray and Mikhail build monster balanced output amps for me.

I'm working on it........

-Ed

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I could not recommend strongly enough trying to audition what ever you decide upon.

I would normally agree with this but isn't it hard because the gilmore and supra xlr are built to order? Also at this price and performance level I would imagine not too many people have tried all of these.

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 23
To clarify: yes, I am looking for a headamp with balanced ins and outs. A maxed-out (upgraded internal wiring & Black Gate caps) single-box Gilmore Reference can be had for ~ $2000, and that is with Laddered attenuators. I have heard gpalmer's 2-box (even costlier) maxed-out Gilmore Reference with the balanced PS-1, balanced RS-1, HD600/CardasXLR and HD650/SilverDragonXLR. I have also heard the Blockhead with Stepped Attenuators paired with the balanced RS-1 and HD600/Cardas (and the BH w/Potentiometers with the HD650/SD XLR and PS-1/XLR). I have never heard the balanced Supra (one is being built for Tom Hankins, I believe), but I have heard the standard Supra and it was amazing. All the amps mentioned above are extremely good, but the GR is certainly the most affordable. There must be more than just these three, however. Suggestions?
confused.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 23
why not get two of the same amplifiers and convert those to be used as a fully balanced setup? one amp per channel.
biggrin.gif

a balanced dynahi (apparently called the dyna-mite or something) is another option... though I don't know who will make one for you.

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by J@ck
Grace 901 might be a cheaper choice.

that's not balanced.

Aug 25, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #15 of 23
NeilPeart, why are you looking only for balanced stuff, if you don't have to run 30ft cable stay away IMO. You just add more circuitry in the signal path, even with tranformerless balanced out/in, and single ended will always sound better than push-pull.

Also, sorry guys, but it's wrong to talk about "balanced headphone". You cannot drive those dynamic phones balanced.

The balanced headphone cable you're talking about it's just a dual mono headphone cable. XLR termination is not mandatory, it could have been 2 mono phono plug. You are just separating the ground for left and right. You will have better channel separation, but somehow i think that blending the L and R ground can give some sort of 'natural' crossfeed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back