Help me discover creative electronic music
Aug 20, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #33 of 49
My turn:

Silent Shout by The Knife (dark and atmospheric with amazing female vocals and synths - probably my favourite LP of all time) Standout tracks: title track, marble house, we share our mother's health

Street Horrrsing by ***** Buttons (pretty twisted and a little crazy...ha) Standout Track: bright tomorrow

Transparent Things by Fujiya & Miyagi (playful, catchy as hell but very far from crazy) Standout tracks: collarbone, ankle injuries, conductor 71

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #34 of 49
well i just realised i've been 'out of the loop' for a short while, meh, i'm getting older, it's no longer about dance music but good electronic music that isn't aimed at age groups.

off the top of my head, venetian snares (all), if you like the junglist side of things, hallucinogen is the main reference point of psy-trance, i have a soft spot for swayzak also, kind of progressive house above the usual (imo), & i just discovered sturm und drang by robosonic (very well put together electro - techno album)

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do I start with these guys?

I would start with their first and still - to me anyway - best album Moon Safari. Whatever you do, save 10,000 Hz Legend for last or not at all. It is rather patchy.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do I start with these guys?

Pocket Symphonies is their latest album and I absolutely love it. The whole cd is top notch. Left Bank is a great place to start on that one.

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryguy27007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just listened to Geogaddi once and Music Has The Right To Children twice yesterday. Brilliant albums, my first time listening to BoC. Aphex Twin, simply amazing. Drukqs and Richard D James are also brilliant. I have Classics but I haven't listened to it yet.

I agree. If a robot ever developed consciousness, I'd imagine it would listen to those artists. Machine meets the soul. Don't forget to check out the Analord series and Hangable Autobulb by AFX. The Tuss is sick too.

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend checking out BT (Brian Transeau), all of his albums (with the exception of maybe 'Emotional Technology') are absolutely fantastic. In particular I'd recommend 'This Binary Universe' to you, just a phenomenal album of very unique and imaginative music.

This is the sound I've been looking for! Thanks. Any other recommendations that sound similar?

Cheers.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #40 of 49
4 pages of recommendations and not one mention of juno reactor what is the world coming to!
frown.gif
If you prefer a more organic sound with other natural elements integrated I would recommend you give juno a listen. His sound has changed alot since his first work though. For a HAL from space oddyssey sound I recommend his first album transmissions, its really underrated imo, but a much different sound then his other works

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #42 of 49
A lot of what I would suggest has already had a mention but in no particular order:
Susumu Yokota - Really great chilled ambient with a nice Japanese feel. Sakura is probably his most accessible, but Grinning Cat and The Boy and the Tree are great too
Murcof - again quite minimal electronica. I'd recommend Martes - quite dark at times, but hauntingly beautiful with it
Efterklang - Just get a copy of Tripper as soon as you can - staggeringly beautiful glitchy electronica with real instruments and vocals. Possibly my favourite electronic album ever
Boards of Canada - almost entirely instrumental and very rhythm based group (from Scotland AFAIK despite the name) - personally I like Geogaddi, but Music has the Right to Children is great too
Cinematic Orchestra - dunno if you can really class them as electronica, but they are on Ninja Tune records so they prolly have a place here
DJ Krush - often dark and at times quite demanding electronica. His albums vary a lot in terms of their accessibility, with Jaku and Zen being the most instantly likeable IMO
Burial - prolly a love or hate thing, but to me Untrue is a seriously compelling album - dark, yet uplifting

Hope some of that helps,

Shambla

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #43 of 49
Kashiwa Daisuke - Progarm Music I and April .#2 (glitch mixed with something quite amazing)
Motoro Faam - ...and water cycles
Boulderdash - we never went to koxut island
boards of canada - a few old tunes vol 2 and in a beautiful place in the country
harold budd & eraldo bernocchi - music for fragments from the inside
telefon tel aviv - fahrenheit fair enough (What no ones mentioned?!)
aloof proof - expo two (piano text) [what ambient should be]
dopplereffekt - gesamtkunstwerk
kraftwerk - computer world (spefically numbers->computer world pt2)
mungolian jet set - beauty came to us in stone
kettel - whisper me wishes

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 49
I'm really late to this post, but I thought I just might recommend Breakbot.

Fairly simple beat to dance to, but it's pretty slow and mellow to dance to without feeling awkward, but it's catchy and makes me bop my head or tap my foot in a mellow sort of way. His arrangements are interesting, quite a lot of it sounds borderline sountrack at points... well to me anyway. He only has a few tracks, check out:

Stereo Provolone
Please Don't
Pacific - Runway to Elsewhere (Breakbot Remix)
PNAU - Baby (Breakbot Rework)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back