Help me describe bass impact/slam
Mar 7, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #16 of 26
I would say the Denon d7200 has the most impact / slam / punch that I"ve heard in a headphone. The Fostex th900 comes in a very close second to my ears.

The focal clear with sheepskin pads also have alot as well, but its a bit different. The focal clear hits with weight behind it, making it feel like a visceral thud. Where as the d7200s hits with speed and agility, if that makes sense. Kind of like the difference between a Mike Tyson vs George Foreman punch. The clear would be foreman.

The sony z7m2 also has decent impact but nowhere near the other two. It has more bass volume and I would describe it as heavy and enveloping but the impact is softer.

I dont know if its the correct terminology but I categorize rumble to be all sub bass. In order of most to least, I'd say it goes TH900, z7m2, d7200, clears dont extend well into the lower frequencies, it has very little sub bass.

With iems, i'd say the TRN st5 has really good impact.
The D7200 is indeed punchy, and the bass is actually more full than the TH900. But with EQ, the 900 slams harder imo.

That setup at CanJam didn't show what they were capable of.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #17 of 26
I really like the puch that the Focals have, more than the Fostex, but different EQ or ear pads on them change the punch pretty drastically.

Before spending money you could try playing with EQ on the Eligia and see if you like it more. The Dakoni stellia pads are really great on them also, or the ZMF pads!

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #18 of 26
By the way, I don’t know if we like the same quality, but whatever it is that I enjoy about bass is normally independent of the bass level, bass heavy headphones or EQ doesn’t normally give me the quality I want.

The Utopia is the absolute best for me but all other Focal headphones I tried can also have the quality it if you use EQ or pad swap, don’t know why they are the exception for me….

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #19 of 26
I just played my TH-X00 Mahogany against my DCA Aeon Noir 2 and what I am missing with the DCA (minus eq) is that forceful attack/slam on each kick drum.
The sub bass is great on the TH-X00 and also the DCA, but I really am seeking the best punch in the ear I can find.
* if I keep making annoying posts online I might find a different type of punch in the ear.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #20 of 26
The interactive frequency chart that mega posted is great, the end of this article may also help:
https://drumhelper.com/audio/kick-drum-eq/

It's easy to think of low end as just low end which is especially true for sub-bass, but typically when you want mid-bass you also want to take a look at the higher frequencies to either reduce or boost. Haven't heard either of your headphones so I can't say what your results would be but it's worth playing around a bit.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #21 of 26
The interactive frequency chart that mega posted is great, the end of this article may also help:

It's easy to think of low end as just low end which is especially true for sub-bass, but typically when you want mid-bass you also want to take a look at the higher frequencies to either reduce or boost. Haven't heard either of your headphones so I can't say what your results would be but it's worth playing around a bit.
This is very cool, it would explain why “rumble” does not mean there is good kick

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 26

That’s splendid advice, thanks!

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #23 of 26
Mar 8, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #24 of 26
So, I bought a cheap pair of Grado SR80e from the classifieds and would you believe, they have that punchy quality I have been seeking. They are a little bright but I love them so far. I’m already planning to upgrade them.

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #25 of 26
So, I bought a cheap pair of Grado SR80e from the classifieds and would you believe, they have that punchy quality I have been seeking. They are a little bright but I love them so far. I’m already planning to upgrade them.
I forgot about grados, I used to have a pair and loved them. I think I might try them again because of your comment

Mar 8, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #26 of 26
I forgot about grados, I used to have a pair and loved them. I think I might try them again because of your comment
Haha good for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back