Help me decide !!!
Jun 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vinay

Head-Fier
I had bought the Pl-50 few months back. I like it but 2 things stand out abt it... Not enough isolation and not very comfortable(I give it a lot of importance) for me.
But now i am leaning towards custom remolds.Since i cant afford, also not very sure about SQ, buying Custom IEM from likes of livewire,etc , was thinking to buy a IEMs like Triple Fi 10/SE530(used once) and getting it remolded by InEarz(Fisher Hearing) or Unique Melody. Also i am not sure if UE10/Se530 is somehing i need but looks like only these two are the only ones that is molded by the mentioned companies.

So in short should i consider Custom remolds or find IEM which gives better comfort and similar/better SQ of PL-50?

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Hard to say which you should do.  I bought a pair of Livewires Trips on the FS forums here for what ended up to be about $150 CAD.  The impressions cost $50 CAD and the final total from Fisher was $120 CAD.  So all in, my customs cost me just a little over $300.  They sound great, better than any universal I've heard, and I can have them in all day and they are still comfortable.

The Livewires, SE530's and the TF10's are all balanced armature designs so I see no reason why Fisher or UE couldn't re-mold any BA IEM.  Keep in mind though that this might not actually be your cheapest option if you're willing to go used.

If you simply want a universal IEM I can say that the SE530s are very comfortable (though not as comfortable as my customs) and isolate very well.  Particularly if you are using the Shure Olive tips.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 7
I would have to agree with wantmyf1. A couple of questions though: how much are you willing to spend? What kind of sound signature do you want? (Emphasis in bass/treble? Neutral?) 

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Thank you for replying guys..

I did look into Westone,but again not sure if it it will be comfortable as it will be already molded into a particular shape.dont want make the same mistake like Pl-50..

I like the Pl-50's SQ...  More on the Natural kind of music.. basically would prefer better treble and mids  than the bass...

Price is something i have not deicided(Not in a hurry to replace the PL-50 ).I know Custom's may not be cheap ,but ready to invest in it,if its really worth it.. [NOT more than $300-$350,or cheaper if possible..]

Could some list down a exact break down of the cost for a remolding an IEM,so that i get an idea..

EDIT: Are remolded IEM's heavier or lighter than the stock?

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 7
If you are spending around 350 then you would probably get better sound quality out of a high end universal. With customs, you have to get impressions done which can vary greatly depending on who you go to. You run the risk of having to do them again if you don't get them done right the first time but that doesn't happen often. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back