help me decide
Jan 20, 2010 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jarthel

500+ Head-Fier
I've looked around and it seems these choices are within my budget. I could get most from Amazon and have it sent to my cousin living in Ohio. Snd in the case of the A-T W1000 have it sent to me directly.

I've listed the cheapest price I've found as well. I've had the DT880 250ohm but due to unfortunate circumstance, they disappeared last week.

here's a sampling of artists I listened to:
1. metallica
2. u2
3. bach
4. vivaldi
5. diana krall
6. james ingram
7. michael jackson
8. boston
9. madonna
10. taylor rain
11. leann rimes
12. the corrs
13. the cranberries
14. bee gees
15. beatles
16. chicago
17. michael buble
18. new order
19. depeche mode

and many more!

thank you very much.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 15
What amp do you have to drive them?

Personally, my current headphone i'm eyeballing is the HD600 (over the HD650 ~ independant to price). Theres a bit of contraversy between the HD600 and the HD650, you may want to read some "vs" threads to make a vague judgement on your own.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked around and it seems these choices are within my budget. I could get most from Amazon and have it sent to my cousin living in Ohio. and it the case of the A-T W1000 have it sent to me directly.

I've listed the cheapest price I've found as well. I've had the DT880 250ohm but due to unfortunate circumstance, they disappeared last week.

thank you very much.

Hi, what's your source and other associated gear? Music, encoding... Come on, you know the drill by now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 15
I wouldn't rule out a nice pair of Sennheiser HD600's or a nice used pair of Sennheiser HD580's with grill mod. Both are very nice and awesome sounding headphones for the price. The AKGs are nice but those headphones [K701/K702] are focused on the highs way to much [I like headphones that neither focus or overfocus on the highs or the lows, something that is more mid range focus like the K240M's or K601's].

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 15
I've owned three of these cans and would rank the ones I've owned as:

K701/2 > HD650 > DT800

But all three really need a great amp to fully shine. I preferred the K701/2 with SS amps and the other two with tubes.

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned three of these cans and would rank the ones I've owned as:

K701/2 > HD650 > DT800

But all three really need a great amp to fully shine. I preferred the K701/2 with SS amps and the other two with tubes.

Was the DT880 you owned 600 ohm?

As it is usually mentioned in the forums as well, the 600 ohm DT880s are terrific phones and are clearly better than the 880/250. As for the poll, it is not true, in my opinion, to try to find a sole winner between those headphones as they all have their own advantages. I could not listen to the W1000s, but I would buy a K701 if I looked for the clarity with relatively coloured mids, DT880 600ohm for excellent transparency and pace, and HD650 for the absence of a peak on the upper mids, and stronger bass.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 15
my amp is DIY. Do I need to mentioned what resistors/capacitors I've used as well? how about the chassis cables I've used? :p

I suppose in regards to your own experience and equipment, what do you feel is the best choice?

I do not think you can give me an answer appropriate to my equipment because of the countless variations possible.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 15
It's really hard to give you a recommendation without knowing what sort of music you like. If it's acoustic stuff, classical, jazz then I'd go with the K701/2. For rock or pop, probably the Senns. For electronica, probably none of the above.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really hard to give you a recommendation without knowing what sort of music you like. If it's acoustic stuff, classical, jazz then I'd go with the K701/2. For rock or pop, probably the Senns. For electronica, probably none of the above.

It seems this is the better question to ask instead of asking what equipment is used
smily_headphones1.gif

here's a sampling of artists I listened to:
1. metallica
2. u2
3. bach
4. vivaldi
5. diana krall
6. james ingram
7. michael jackson
8. boston
9. madonna
10. taylor rain
11. leann rimes
12. the corrs
13. the cranberries
14. bee gees
15. beatles
16. chicago
17. michael buble
18. new order
19. depeche mode

and many more!

thanks again

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, my current headphone i'm eyeballing is the HD600 (over the HD650 ~ independant to price). Theres a bit of contraversy between the HD600 and the HD650, you may want to read some "vs" threads to make a vague judgement on your own.

I have seen those threads and I believe I would get a pair of hd650 if I have to choose between an hd600 vs hd650

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #13 of 15
I know I am biased, but I really enojoy the DT880's. I don't know how long you had them before, but if you liked them I would give them a chance again.

As reference I can tell you I also listen to New Order and my favorite band is Depeche Mode, I love them with my DT880s.

And with all these headphones amping really makes a difference. I know you have a DIY amp, can you give us anymore information on it?

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my amp is DIY. Do I need to mentioned what resistors/capacitors I've used as well? how about the chassis cables I've used? :p

I suppose in regards to your own experience and equipment, what do you feel is the best choice?

I do not think you can give me an answer appropriate to my equipment because of the countless variations possible.

Touche! LoL

I'm a big fan of the 701. The clarity and detailed presentation are very addicting. I think the 701 reveals more of your equipment setup than any of the headphones I've tried. In contrast I think the 650 is the more forgiving of equipment WHEN they're properly amped.

I've had some time to compare the 701 and 650 and it's my belief that what others have said to be a thinness of the 701 sound, when compare to say the 650 richness, is clarity. I think the 701 is so clear that all you're getting is the music. Some of what's been described as brightness is the 701 revealing what the recording is giving it to tell you I think.

There is a large gap in philosophy between the AKG and the Senn. It's difficult to be in both camps without having at least some preference to one or the other. I choose the 701 even though it's obvious the 650 is an excellent headphone.

I hope that was an answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back