Help me decide on a new set of cans (under 250)
Apr 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #16 of 41
Prices must have changed. Ultrasone has had a skyrocket in popularity this year. The HFi 580 used to sell for $118 with free shipping. Now it sells for at least $150 from one trusted retailer and $200 from the rest. The Beyers were $200+ when I checked. There was also a time when hfi 580 overtook price of hfi 780

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:
Prices must have changed. Ultrasone has had a skyrocket in popularity this year.

Yup, the DT 770's are about 200, the Ultrasone 780's are 259 at Guitar Center.  Now Guitar Center normally has coupons to drop the price down a bit, but the Ultrasones are still 50 more than the Beyers and 100 more than the M50's.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #18 of 41

Quote:
Macrocheesium
I see you have the 600 ohm DT990. Would you say that what you are hearing about the highs may actually be a problem like I described with the DT770 80 ohm? I have heard many say the high and low deficiency in 770/80 with the 250 and 600 ohm variants?
If you like comfort and lightweight... The Beyers are also great. I would have bought a pair but they no sonic traits I cared for that my Ultrasones couldnt do and the higher ohm models are more expensive last I checked.

Not sure what you're asking. The DT990 600 certainly isn't mellow; it has an extreme V-shaped sound sig and the bass and treble are both in your face.

Quote:

For the price I am getting it at assembled (used) its impossible to beat.  I found it for 80 bucks shipped in a custom case.  It doesnt have the power adaptor included, but thats super cheap and I already bought batteries for it as well.  I plan on either using it or the JDSLabs C421.  I dont do lots of headphone listening so this setup will probably be as high up the chain as I go.  This is going to be a dedicated work system mostly, and I might use the headphones at home occasionally.  I normally prefer listening to music through either my HT setup, or my dedicated 2 channel setup which have about 3-4k invested in them.  I have about 1.5k in my car in amps, dynamat, speakers and my headunit combined.

I know you can normally get a set of headphones and amp comprable to my 3-4k setup for under 400 total so I think this setup will be close to on par with my other gear.

Speakers generally have a better price/performance ratio than headphones once you hit about $600.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
I was referring to DT770
smily_headphones1.gif
I was kinda asking if you knew if the DT990 80 ohms had the same sonic problems the DT770 80 ohms did
Thr price online is a lot lower. Ultrasones again have had an extreme price hike recently.

Gotcha, good to know about the 990's.

I know prices online are much better, but if I buy online and dont like them, I have to pay for shipping back, wait to be refunded, then purchase another set and wait for them to get shipped, etc.

Whereas if I buy them in store and dont like them I can go exhange and have the new ones right away.  I realize I am paying a premium for that, but Guitar Center carries the Beyers, Ultrasones and Audio Technica models I am looking at, so that makes it easier for me.

I realize any set needs burn in so after purchasing thats the first thing I plan on doing, but the convienence of returning and having a different model same day is quite appealing this one time.  If I was 100 percent I wouldn't be returning the set I buy (because I heard them and knew I liked them), I would buy online.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
I was referring to DT770
smily_headphones1.gif
I was kinda asking if you knew if the DT990 80 ohms had the same sonic problems the DT770 80 ohms did
Thr price online is a lot lower. Ultrasones again have had an extreme price hike recently.

I don't believe Beyer makes an 80 ohm version of the DT990...

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
Gotcha, good to know about the 990's.

I know prices online are much better, but if I buy online and dont like them, I have to pay for shipping back, wait to be refunded, then purchase another set and wait for them to get shipped, etc.

Whereas if I buy them in store and dont like them I can go exhange and have the new ones right away.  I realize I am paying a premium for that, but Guitar Center carries the Beyers, Ultrasones and Audio Technica models I am looking at, so that makes it easier for me.

I realize any set needs burn in so after purchasing thats the first thing I plan on doing, but the convienence of returning and having a different model same day is quite appealing this one time.  If I was 100 percent I wouldn't be returning the set I buy (because I heard them and knew I liked them), I would buy online.

I know what you mean, they can match prices though so keep that in mind

Quote:

I don't believe Beyer makes an 80 ohm version of the DT990...

Sorry, I don't know much about Beyer model's. But the DT990 would not very well fit then. The lowest is 250 ohm's and those won't be driven by any old regular device.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 41

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know much about Beyer model's. But the DT990 would not very well fit then. The lowest is 250 ohm's and those won't be driven by any old regular device.

It's 32, actually. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could drive a 250 ohm DT990 from a good DAP; the 600 ohm version sounds decent out of an iTouch.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 41

Quote:
I know what you mean, they can match prices though so keep that in mind

Quote:
It's 32, actually. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could drive a 250 ohm DT990 from a good DAP; the 600 ohm version sounds decent out of an iTouch.

Yeah, those higher ohm models are an option since 90% of the time they will be use in conjunction with the Objective 2 headphone amp.  And honestly 90% is probably a bit low, so its probably closer to 99% of the time its going to be with the headhphone amp since none of these headphones are really super portable or for use when running/jogging, ect.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #26 of 41

Quote:
It seems you have a Guitar Center. I would say to go there and demo the can's to know what you want and what fits your style :)

I didnt see them hooked up anywhere or even a place to test them though, so they might carry them, but I dont know if you can try them in store.  I need to look into that futher.  I do plan on purchasing from them since assuming they have a 30 day return policy I can go from the Ultrasones (if I decide to get those) to the Beyers, and vice versa.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #29 of 41
[size=medium]So in looking over everything here is what has been suggested and by whom.  Feel free to change your recommendation based on the artists and music I listen to listed below.[/size]

[size=medium]1. Denon AHD2000 – MattTCG, thedefender[/size]
[size=medium]2. Ultrasone HFI-780 – bowei006 1[size=small]st[/size] choice[/size]
[size=medium]3. Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro-80 – bowei006 2[size=small]nd[/size] choice[/size]
[size=medium]4. Beyerdynamic DT-990 – macrocheesium [/size]
[size=medium]5. Audio Technica ESW9 – 0[/size]
[size=medium]6. Audio-Technica ATH-M50S - 0[/size]

[size=medium]To give you guys a better insight into both the sound I like and an idea of the type of music I will be listening to most I figured I would just list a bunch of artists I enjoy:[/size]

[size=medium]Nelly, Newsboys, Thousand Foot Krutch, DC Talk, Limp Biscuit, 50 cent, Chemical Brothers, Skrillex, Deadmau5, Crystal Method, DJ Tiesto, Skillet, Firefly, Ke$ha, Snoop Dog, TobyMac, O.C. Supertones, Jars of Clay, Bruno Mars, Adele, 3Oh3!, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Eminem, Dr. Dre....to name just a few.[/size]

[size=medium]I normally jam out the most in my car which has 1 set of Polk component 6.5 inch speakers, powered by a 125 x 2 amplifier.  In addition I have a 10” Treo TE sub in a ported box drawing 750 watts of power.  Normal volume level when I am really jamming is somewhere in the 110+ db range.  As you can tell given the sub I like bass, I like it to hit hard but not sound boomy.  I would rather give up some bass to get more attack and decay as its meant to be heard.  I want the kick drum to kick my in the face, but just as long as its supposed to.  I don’t want the note to hang where it shouldn’t if possible.  If I had to qualify how the speakers “sound” I would say they do sound a bit aggressive like your right in front of the artist when performing and you can feel their voice on your ears.[/size]

[size=medium]Given that information which of the above sets would you recommend?  As of right now it seems the Denon’s and Ultrasones are the top 2 with the Denon being most recomended.[/size]

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #30 of 41
The HFI580 may be better then. I have it EQd with E17 so it does rock just as well but i has quite the bass and the bass is good in rock as it gives it that background impact at times and is gone in songs you dont want it in.

I found the DT770 80 again to br comfortable and light and easier for newcommers or anyone that likes the mellow more passive sound AS OPPOSED to Ultrasones agressive metalic one. Of course the Ultrasones were just sonically superior in my opinion.

I dont and have never heard the D2000 but unlike all the other headphones listed are upper mid rang headphones as opposed to mid range level of the rest. DT990 600 ohm would be upper mid range but again I havent heard them and the 600 ohms to my knowledge due need a bit of power.

Buying a "suitable" upper mid range(general classification) might be better in the long run as you are already paying a couple hindred for these mid ranges and during some times you can find upper mid range like Pro 900, D2k, q701/k550, for cheaps. If youn are intent on this path as I have heard many say you can find them for $330 at times then just ask the good gentlemen of this thread. I can only provide answers to the close modeled Ultrasones I have and DT770/80 that I have heard but cant provide you with anything else. And dont take the models I listed above as anything, those were just popular upper examples i could think of off the top of my head and dont mean anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back