Help Me Decide: Flash Player
Jun 9, 2005 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jack963

100+ Head-Fier
Which should I go with?

The only differences I see between the 4 are battery life, the type of battery, and the color screen on the Samsung. Price is not an issue since I get a discount on the Samsung at Best Buy; whichever unit I get, I'll end up paying right around $160. I'm having a real hard time deciding, so whatever help is offered is greatly appreciated.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 20
Forget about it. I went up to best Buy and picked up the YP-MT6. Not only do I get it for $25 cheaper than the T7, but it also gets 42 hrs on a single AA battery (a lot better than 10 hrs on a rechargable, which is what the T7 gets). Thanks for the (solitary) responses.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Forget about it. I went up to best Buy and picked up the YP-MT6. Not only do I get it for $25 cheaper than the T7, but it also gets 42 hrs on a single AA battery (a lot better than 10 hrs on a rechargable, which is what the T7 gets). Thanks for the (solitary) responses.

I second this.

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 20
Yes.

The fact that it uses widely available AA batteries is a major plus. You run out of batteries, just go to the next convenience store and get a pack. Plus, you can pick up a charger and rechargables for cheap, at least here in toronto, canada.

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 20
It's that the small samsung with the color screen, or the rectangular one? If it is the one with the color screen I say go with the samsung. I have never tried it, but based on what I saw at best buy, that player looks really cool.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 20
Yeah, the T7 is the one w/ the color screen; it's a sweet player. But to be honest, for what I'm going to be using it for (gym, running, etc), the MT6 is a better choice. I don't need a fancy color screen (other than to impress some friends), and the MT6 uses a AA instead of a rechargable. Overall, it's just a better choice for my needs.

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 20
jack963 and/or azncookiecutter,

I'm interested in the MT6(Z) too but stumbled across the following sentence in the fine print of the manual:
Quote:

When playing a VBR file, you cannot move to and play the previous track even if you push the joystick to the |<< position within 5 seconds after playback starts.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong (English is not a native language for me), but it seems to suggest that the player doesn't support skipping back to previous tracks with VBR files (e.g. LAME aps) - which I would consider unacceptable (resp. bizarre, considering it's 2005).
I'm wondering if this was just a translation mishap, a CYA clause for wonkily encoded files or if it really doesn't work.
Unfortunately the MT6 isn't available in local stores here, therefore I'd be grateful if you could test this specific issue before I order one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 20
Funny but I was all hyped about getting a flash player for workouts but oddly enough my son(college student) didn't use the Olympus DM-1 I gave him to record classes so he returned it to me. I figured that I'd just save a few bucks and use it during workouts instead of the Karma. While it can't put out anything close to the power of the Karma and it doesn't have such a great EQ, it actually sounds quite good all things considered! I'd used it previously to dictate treatment notes and really hadn't gotten around to using its mp3 function. Quite pleasantly surprised. Bottom line is that if you're a student and the recording function is important to you, why not consider a dual function player like this? I don't think they make the DM-1 anymore but I know it does have a successor but haven't priced them lately. I kind of like a "jack of all trades" type player like this. Just a thought.

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Thanks for the input, Ken. But it's a bit too late! It doesn't matter though; I'm throroughly satsified w/ my Samsung. Thanks though.

And KGM, unless Samsung translated incorrectly in their English user manual, what you read is true. I stumbled across this bit of information on the internet, but I just figured the person did not know what they were doing. But then I actually read it in the user manual, and I was convinced. If this isn't enough evidence for you, I'll try it out for ya. Just lemme know.

Jun 13, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 20
If you could try it and post I'd really appreciate, trying to decide between an iriver and the Samsung, the vbr thing would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks muchly!

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 20
lame vbr files work exactly the same as all the other files on my player.
meaning: you can go back a previous track within five seconds of the next song and file operate exactly the same as ogg and lame cbr files.
i'm using the the new 1.2 firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back