Help Me Decide Beyerdynamic DT 880 - Philips SHP9500 - Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
May 17, 2022 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DJtheAudiophile

100+ Head-Fier
Help Me Decide on a new headphone.

Beyerdynamic DT 880
Philips SHP9500
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

I will be upgrading from Koss KSC75. I love this little headphone and it’s detail and soundstage. I’m hoping to upgrade to a larger headphone with same qualities that are greater.

I use a iPod, Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo, and ALO Audio Rx MK III.

Thank you!

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 18
May 18, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 18
What’s the sound profile like?
I own both the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 and ATH-A900X.
The A900X was my preferred headphone, for all use with my computer, for a year or two.
I believe it had good vocals (but I used it years ago).
The AD900X is easy to drive, so good match for a portable audio device (smartphone, DAP, etc).
I think the only real negative, going to be with the AD900X, is a lighter bass

I also own the DT880 and SHP9500, never use them.

May 18, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 18
If your willing to budget for $230-$250.
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

May 18, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 18
I've had all three recently. If using an amp the DT880 black edition (has more bass than stock). The stock 250 ohm is nice with tighter/less bass, but sub bass isn't there on either one.

The SHP9500 doesn't need much power and really great value for the money if you get them on sale.Well rounded and light to wear.

I don't like the ad700x, treble isn't that accurate and the SHP9500 is just so much better in the price range. If you heard the adh1000x, I think most people would agree it's the only one worth having. It's a lot more expensive, but has the best female vocals I've heard. It's also kingpin for gaming, so easy to pinpoint things and hear behind you. On a Sound blaster AE-7 you could play games for prize money.

May 21, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 18
I own dt880 and 9500,although 880 lacks of sub-bass,I prefer 880.9500 is quite light and comfortable,is also a good buying choice.
Are the dt880 closer to Koss KSC75 in sound?

May 21, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 18
I've had all three recently. If using an amp the DT880 black edition (has more bass than stock). The stock 250 ohm is nice with tighter/less bass, but sub bass isn't there on either one.

The SHP9500 doesn't need much power and really great value for the money if you get them on sale.Well rounded and light to wear.

I don't like the ad700x, treble isn't that accurate and the SHP9500 is just so much better in the price range. If you heard the adh1000x, I think most people would agree it's the only one worth having. It's a lot more expensive, but has the best female vocals I've heard. It's also kingpin for gaming, so easy to pinpoint things and hear behind you. On a Sound blaster AE-7 you could play games for prize money.
What’s the difference between 600 ohm version of the dt880?

Does it sound similar to the Koss KSC75?

May 23, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 18
What’s the difference between 600 ohm version of the dt880?

Does it sound similar to the Koss KSC75?

The grey DT880 is a little similar to the KSC75 now that you mention it, similar detail emphasis and great timbre but much much better imaging on the 880s. With black pads they have more upper bass / lower mids (more porta pro than KSC75 lol).

Higher impedance mainly gives you more flexibility with your source output impedance. The 600 ohm Beyers are all favorites of Tube enthusiasts for this reason. Beyer themselves have noted for these particular models the tinier coil wire and corresponding higher number of loops in the voice coil gives slightly better flux efficiency, but any real world performance differences would likely be less important than matching impedance to the source power rating. TLDR, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, get the DT880!

May 25, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 18
The grey DT880 is a little similar to the KSC75 now that you mention it, similar detail emphasis and great timbre but much much better imaging on the 880s. With black pads they have more upper bass / lower mids (more porta pro than KSC75 lol).

Higher impedance mainly gives you more flexibility with your source output impedance. The 600 ohm Beyers are all favorites of Tube enthusiasts for this reason. Beyer themselves have noted for these particular models the tinier coil wire and corresponding higher number of loops in the voice coil gives slightly better flux efficiency, but any real world performance differences would likely be less important than matching impedance to the source power rating. TLDR, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, get the DT880!
Would a ALO Audio Rx MK III-B be able to drive 600 ohm DT880?

May 25, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 18
600-Ohm headphones are not practical in a world were most headphones are plugged into battery driven smartphones.
Lots of headphone that can match the 600-Ohm DT880, but have a much low Ohm.

May 26, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 18
Would a ALO Audio Rx MK III-B be able to drive 600 ohm DT880?
That's a tough one to answer, since people tend to like to listen at different levels, and different music is mastered for different dynamic range.

I am not familiar with the ALO RX, but you'll want to keep in mind the DT880 stock is single ended, so you won't be able to use the higher power of the amp's balanced output. That said, I regularly listen to my 880's on a desktop amp that has similar power rating to the SE out on the ALO, and it is more than enough for me. Then again, I tend to listen a lot quieter than some folks in this hobby so remember your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back