Help me decide between Rs-1i or HD650!
Oct 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who here has actually heard the Beats? Our beloved HeadRoom gives them 4.5 stars -- same value rating as RS1i.

They also give the skullcandy titan a value rating of 5 stars, and the skullcandies they sell get an average value rating of 4 stars.
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #32 of 44
I've heard the beats... on the monster display and the default volume (which cant be tweaked is so loud that I've never listened to them more than 15 seconds. the demo songs are in da club by fitty, I wanna **** you by usher and snoop and something by maroon5...

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt go for HD650 unless you have some killer amp to drive them, like Zana Deux, otherwise RS1 would be a great choice, check FS forum for really good deals.

I agree!!

I have had the Grado RS-1/GS-1000 both single ended and ballanced with Black dragon cable and the HD 600 and HD-650. Also Ballanced and single ended.

I feel the differance between the Grado sound and the Senn. (Lower end to higher end, is large.) You need to try for yourself.

Here are a few thoughts, I have on the differances senn/Grado in general not high end lower end. ($ wise)

The grados hurt "my" ears, both the way they sit on "my" ears (with the flat pads) and my inner ear because of the way they present the highs.

There is also a large differance in sound stage, grado RS-1 is more intamate and the GS-1000 is alot more open/larger. The Senns present the sound stage in a more open larger way.

To me the Senns are more comfortable on my head and the sound is easer on my inner ear.

There are people here that can discribe the differances much better then I did here. Try the search option.

The other thing to consider is the RS-1/GS-1000 are pretty easy to drive and the Senns need a bit better amp to get the most out of them. Example:.. right out of an I pod the Grados sound pretty good, senns sound lifeless, but with a good source a great ballanced amp, Senns are a different animal (I would not discribe them as slow or laid back driven this way.) All this is my opinion. I hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree!!

I have had the Grado RS-1/GS-1000 both single ended and ballanced with Black dragon cable and the HD 600 and HD-650. Also Ballanced and single ended.

I feel the differance between the Grado sound and the Senn. (Lower end to higher end, is large.) You need to try for yourself.

Here are a few thoughts, I have on the differances senn/Grado in general not high end lower end. ($ wise)

The grados hurt "my" ears, both the way they sit on "my" ears (with the flat pads) and my inner ear because of the way they present the highs.

There is also a large differance in sound stage, grado RS-1 is more intamate and the GS-1000 is alot more open/larger. The Senns present the sound stage in a more open larger way.

To me the Senns are more comfortable on my head and the sound is easer on my inner ear.

There are people here that can discribe the differances much better then I did here. Try the search option.

The other thing to consider is the RS-1/GS-1000 are pretty easy to drive and the Senns need a bit better amp to get the most out of them. Example:.. right out of an I pod the Grados sound pretty good, senns sound lifeless, but with a good source a great ballanced amp, Senns are a different animal (I would not discribe them as slow or laid back driven this way.) All this is my opinion. I hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

For me my RS1s are very comfortable (second only to my K701s). My HD650 clamps need to be removed every 20-30 minutes.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that. For me clamping force is much more of a problem than the roughness of Grado pads. Grados also keep my ears much cooler, which is a big plus in my books.

The grado's are feather weight and don,t clamp as hard for sure "my problem" is more with the flat pads actually tuching my ears ie. actualy lay on my ears. That causes the discomfort.

I guess cooler is also a concern, I personaly have had issue with warm ears in the Senns too. But not enough to bother to take them off.

Good thoughts for consideration though.

Oct 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #37 of 44
Hi all, I'm a new user and have similar concerns to NormaJean. I like Prog Rock, acousitc folk and female jazz vocals. I own a pair of HD650s and have an M^3 being built as we speak!

I haven't auditioned the grado sound yet, but I am intrigued-especially for giving me a more lively sound. The RS1i is a bit steep to dive-in at this point considering talk of diminished returns and value. Maybe the SR225 or 335?

Id like to know your thoughts!

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that. For me clamping force is much more of a problem than the roughness of Grado pads. Grados also keep my ears much cooler, which is a big plus in my books.

You are correct in mentioning that the Grados are indeed the coolest headphones out there (temperature wise), all other cans do tend to heat up your ears.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibsonorbust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I'm a new user and have similar concerns to NormaJean. I like Prog Rock, acousitc folk and female jazz vocals. I own a pair of HD650s and have an M^3 being built as we speak!

I haven't auditioned the grado sound yet, but I am intrigued-especially for giving me a more lively sound. The RS1i is a bit steep to dive-in at this point considering talk of diminished returns and value. Maybe the SR225 or 335?

Id like to know your thoughts!

If I had to choose a Prestige Series Grado headphone, I would really go with the SR225i. I owned both (SR225i and SR325is) before moving up to the RS1 and must say that I preferred the SR225i. The high end shrill of the SR325is was really fatiguing. Not to mention, they are quite heavier and as a result not as comfortable.

My two cents away...

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #41 of 44
The speed will be there, but the 701's are VERY light on bass quantity. No, they do not have comparable bass performance and are far from "full" and impactful, compared to the Grado line. This is one of the major gripes people have about the AKG 701/702, even after one finds a proper high-powered amp for their AKG's, which is a definite requirement as well.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 44
Thanks Sampson, thats been my understanding of the AKGs.

I guess the question Ive been shying away from is: Considering the relative quality of sound I know form my HD650s (+amp), would I be "disappointed" with anything less that Grado's Reference line, considering I am looking for a top performance for rock?

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #43 of 44
No, I think that if this is your first foray into the Grado line you could just as easily be happy with any of the three headphones below, listed in increasing price:

Alessandro MS-1(i) (also made by Grado, $99-109 shipped)
SR-225(i) ($199)
SR-325i(s) ($299)

Honestly, I've heard a few very good, expensive headphones and the MS-1i's should not be underestimated. They are amazing for the price. The other two Grados have been compared and contrasted endlessly and, depending on one's listening tastes, represent another sweet spot in the Grado line. Just do a "vs." search to see how the two stand up, head-to-head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibsonorbust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, great. I could also pickup a used K701 for the same price as a new 225i. Would the 701 have comparable bass performance to the 225i? Speed and fullness?

To K701s are much better than the SR225i IF properly amped. With my Mapletree Ear+HD amp the bass on the K701s is NOT lacking in any way and actually is better controlled and deeper than my HD650s.

If you aren't planning on getting a really good amp, then the SR225i sound great unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back