Help me decide between Rs-1i or HD650!
Oct 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

NormaJean

Head-Fier
I just bought some sr-225i and I really love the sound they produce... since I got them I'm considering buying some rs-1i but I'm a little scared the sound is going to be way too close to the sound of the cans I have right now.

Can you guys help me make a choice?

My computer is my source, playing trought a little dot mkiii, I have a set of sr-225i and a pair of hd590.

I listen to a lot of progressive metal, death metal, hardcore, noisecore, whatevercore some acoustic music.

I've heard the 650 are "slow" headphones would they hold up with fast metal?

Thanks for the input
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #2 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by NormaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought some sr-225i and I really love the sound they produce... since I got them I'm considering buying some rs-1i but I'm a little scared the sound is going to be way too close to the sound of the cans I have right now.

Can you guys help me make a choice?

My computer is my source, playing trought a little dot mkiii, I have a set of sr-225i and a pair of hd590.

I listen to a lot of progressive metal, death metal, hardcore, noisecore, whatevercore some acoustic music.

I've heard the 650 are "slow" headphones would they hold up with fast metal?

Thanks for the input
biggrin.gif

I own both headphones, but if you are really looking for rock/metal, the RS1s are about as good as it gets.

While they do share similarities with the SR225s (the Grado sound), the RS1s are in an entirely different league and my personal favourites.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 44
Hmm. I'm a bit wary of the RS-series and higher- some love them to death, others (like me) feel that diminishing returns hits Grados hard once you get past the SR-325i(s).

Money-performance ratio... the 650s, especially how cheap they are now (I bought mine for pretty much the price I paid for my 325is), are a real deal. They stand up well to complicated and orchestrally-backed metal, but some of the more "raw" sounding recordings (Slayer is a prime example) seem to prefer Grados. Having 650s and 225s to switch between could be fun for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing to get used to is that the 650s like (if I'm allowed to anthropomorphise a pair of phones) being played louder than Grados and sound better like that then when you play them at low volume.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 44
If I understand correctly, I will not get the full potential of my setup with hd650s if I don't listen to music at medium/high volume?

Also I'm wondering, when we talk about the sennheiser sound being laid back... does that mean I will lose the "grain" of the electric guitars or would you say they maintain their crunchiness?

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 44
This is all FWIR, but the 650 is a prime example of the slower, laid-back Sennheiser sound. If you want something more well-rounded, I'd go for the 600, which is not inferior to the 650 in any way (and many people actually prefer the 600 to the 650).

In addition, save your money and stick with the 225. From my experiences, moving up in the Grado line won't necessarily give you "better", but will likely just give you "different". Since you like the sound of the 225, stay with it. The 600 would be a great complement to the Grado sound.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I'm a bit wary of the RS-series and higher- some love them to death, others (like me) feel that diminishing returns hits Grados hard once you get past the SR-325i(s).

Money-performance ratio... the 650s, especially how cheap they are now (I bought mine for pretty much the price I paid for my 325is), are a real deal.

After the 325, that only leaves the RS2 and 1, before you get into silly money. Both are significantly better, and different than the 325, which I found to be the screechiest model in the range. 650s look like a bargain, until you budget for a decent amp to run them; Grado's will run off an entry level desktop.

Quote:

If I understand correctly, I will not get the full potential of my setup with hd650s if I don't listen to music at medium/high volume?

Also I'm wondering, when we talk about the sennheiser sound being laid back

Senns sound presentation is totally different to Grado's, which are punchy and bright. Nothing to do with volume - you can't make a Senn sound like a Grado by turning up the volume.

The more in your face sound of Grado's work very well for rock, as it gives guitars some real edge and feel to them.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 44
I wouldnt go for HD650 unless you have some killer amp to drive them, like Zana Deux, otherwise RS1 would be a great choice, check FS forum for really good deals.

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 44
RS1i will be better than your current Grado but not much different, HD650 will not necessarily be better but will be very different. With the money you save you can get a decent amp if your Little Dot is not up to it.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Also I'm wondering, when we talk about the sennheiser sound being laid back... does that mean I will lose the "grain" of the electric guitars or would you say they maintain their crunchiness?

Many have said (and I in my experience agree) that sound signatures change with volume as your ears hear different ranges differently at different volumes. The 650s simply sound a tad distant at low volume- a problem Grados do not have. Many have the opposite problem and find Grados screechy or harsh at high volume.

They are certainly detailed though, just not in the same way as Grados.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 44
I think I'll be getting the rs-1i, I love the sound of grados so much and I'm not totally convinced I'll dig the 650s. I fear that if I get the senns I'll end up wondering what could have been, still want the rs1i's and get them anyway.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 44
that's certainly the danger of not getting the RS1i's, I know I fell for it
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 44
Well, congrats on making your decision. Even I get the urge to re-audition the RS-1 once in a while.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #13 of 44
I went the same route trading up to RS1's from 225's. If you love the Grado sound the RS1 does everything the 225 does, but just that bit better. Sounds best to me with tape modded bowls - listening to Rammstein right now - just awesome. RS1's do acoustic/electric guitar beautifully.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Many have said (and I in my experience agree) that sound signatures change with volume as your ears hear different ranges differently at different volumes. The 650s simply sound a tad distant at low volume- a problem Grados do not have. Many have the opposite problem and find Grados screechy or harsh at high volume.

They are certainly detailed though, just not in the same way as Grados.

I completely agree with this, moogoob! This is my minor problem with my Shure 840's. They sound a bit too distant for serious listening at low volume, too forward/high pitched for comfort at high volume, but just right for long-listening sessions in the middle. Weird. Luckily, when I have them at low volume I want them to be a bit less engaging, anyway, as I usually have something else to do. Perhaps this will vary depending also on what type of amp you are using? Hmmm...

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Well, congrats on making your decision. Even I get the urge to re-audition the RS-1 once in a while.

Thank you for helping make my mind up
biggrin.gif

I don't know I just felt like the rs1 feels more like a headphone I want to grow old with :p.

Thanks everyone I'll report back on my purchase when my girlfriend's not looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back