Help Me Decide Between A Zune and A Zen Vision:M
Dec 29, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 35
I love my ZVM. The only thing close to a complaint that I have about it is the lack of accessories. It's definitely getting better, but that's one thing that definitely spoils the iPod owners. Go to any big box store and there is a wall or an entire row of iPod accessories. You might find a case for a ZVM at a retailer.

By now I have everything I need though. I got an Invisible Skin online, a cable that goes straight from the connector to USB without having to use the adaptor (eBay), an audio/video cable that does the same (also eBay), and a lineout connector from Qables (Head-Fi sponsor). It takes a bit more effort and time to locate some of these accessories, but I have everything I need now and it all works great.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 35
Why would I buy an MP3 player? When I have Winamp and a 500GB USB external hard drive? What can beat Winamp? Non of those Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and Traditional Retailers MP3 players money makers would beat my winamp and 500GB combo. Especially for such a sharp and piercing ears sounding MP3s!
biggrin.gif

Do not ruin your precious ears!
You guys are going to loose your hearing before you know it.
Watch for trains, cars, horses, bicycles, etc. before crossing.

A guy got crushed by a big bus for listing to his portable mp3 player.
mad.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interface is about preferance. I find that the interface is to busy for my taste. But that's just me. What I mean about inferior is stuff that isn't about preferance. Like specs. Also the fact that the Zune software is known to be bad. It's not just a couple of complaints.... it's in every official review as well....

Zune vs. iPod vs. Zen Vision:M Comparison Chart from Dapreview.

Crippled wifi and a .5" bigger screen doesn't make this player appealing at all to me over the other options. Everyone else offers alot more for my money.

I though MS only released one new update for the Zune? I could be wrong...

I'm curious to know what makes the specs inferior?

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by marzxbarz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to know what makes the specs inferior?

No gapless/ Can't be used as an external HD/ No PIM functions/ No lossless support/ Poor video codec support (only supports 1 codec)/ No clock
confused.gif
(that one really gets me, everything comes with a clock!)

Every other major HD mp3 player on the market has these features (except gapless, that the iPod only). This is why the Zune is inferior specwise to most other player. MS basically took a Gigabeat... took away most of the features. Added crippled wifi and a .5" larger screen called it a Zune.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #22 of 35
i use my zune as an external harddrive

you can mod the zune so that it can do so. im sure its nicer to have it just stock rather than having to do a mod so it can be used such as.

drag and drop hooray! i must say the specs for the zen vision m are pretty nice. i think they are a tad bit better than the zune but i love my zune all the way. its not a bad buy and the software isnt troublesome since the patch came out. i think its more stylish than the ipod and zen. i personally didnt like the buttons for the zen and disliked the look of the ipod and i loved the interface of the zune as well as the controls but i wasnt so thrilled about the looks. i personally think the sandisk(along with iriver) is the best looking one but thats personal preference.

i recommend the zune but the zen is pretty nice just in words. i know a couple people who went from zen to zune and like it as well as they dont regret it. i considered the zen but in the end the minor but pointless things were some deciding factors . plus i am loving the big screen

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 35
Digitalbath3737 is an iPod fanboy and his opinions should be ignored.

With the execption of the RWA iMod all the iPods have inferior SQ to almost all DAP in exsistence. And without Rockbox they would suck even more. Take away the aftermarket mods like the iMod and Rockbox and the iPod would definately be the worst DAPs on the planet.

I'm not a fan of any DAP in particular and I have yet to find one that I'm completely satisfied with, but I'm sick of iPod fanboys bashing every other make of DAP just because it's not an iPod.

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 35
well the other factor is the fact that it just came out compared to what 5g ipod? and zen has been out long enough to mature while the zune is just a baby in the market.

in all honesty, the fact that such a fresh item can be at the level that its at just leaves open the possibility for far more promise in the future of the products existence even for the first gen

also if you want to make the zune 80 gig then just buy the hd for 240 dollars and you got yourself the 80 gig zune!

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #25 of 35
How about the headphone port strength on the Zen Vision M? I have a zen micro and had to re-solder the headphone port to make sure it worked after the warranty expired. That makes me a bit nervous with going with creative.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #26 of 35
I spent a whole lot of time over at the Anything But iPod forums before they became saturated with 12 year-olds asking the same 5 questions over and over again. There used to be quite a lot of good info there. The issue about the headphone jack strength on the older creative products came up more than a few times, but I never once saw the same complaint about a ZVM. Mine is sitting right in front of me and the jack seems very strong. I can't wiggle the plug in the jack even pushing fairly hard.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 35
Oh, very good. Besides the battery not being replaceable which I like to sometimes have 2 batteries for those situations you wont be able to charge; the headphone port was my other concern. I think you have helped push me in its direction. Thank you.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the other factor is the fact that it just came out compared to what 5g ipod? and zen has been out long enough to mature while the zune is just a baby in the market.

the zune is a toshiba gigabeat. the gigabeat line has been around for 3 years. it is not a baby in the market.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the zune is a toshiba gigabeat. the gigabeat line has been around for 3 years. it is not a baby in the market.

Hardware-wise, yes. Software-wise, no.
The problem lies within the software. The problems mentioned above, in my belief, can be fixed through updates.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syntax010011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, very good. Besides the battery not being replaceable which I like to sometimes have 2 batteries for those situations you wont be able to charge; the headphone port was my other concern. I think you have helped push me in its direction. Thank you.

Yeah, the battery isn't easily acessible for on-the-go changing. I've opened my ZVM up and it's very simple to replace the battery at home so if you ever have one die out you would just have to find one on the net. A child could do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back