Help Me Decide Between A Zune and A Zen Vision:M
Dec 29, 2006 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

aaroncort

Banned
My 4G Ipod crapped out on me and I can't decide between the zune and the vision:m. For the record I really didn't like the sound of the ipod. I found it to be flat and a little lifeless compaired to my only other MP3 player the Nomad Jukebox 3 which rocked the house. I'd get another one if it weren't so bulky and having a faulty screen and headphone jack.

It seems to me that the Zune and the the V:M have a nice sound sig but has anybody compared the two? I'm not too worried about the Zunes crappy software. even though it will most likely fail as a product, microsoft will still keep the updates coming for the products life span. Also there is a chance that the DRM could be cracked one day so that you could share songs with others with out the 3 day 3play limitation. The V:M although also has poor software at least it works.

Also I have a music library much larger than 30GB. Does anybody know which software is easier to choose which albums are to be synced and not? I don't need a larger player for on the go but with itunes having to "check" what is to be synced and what isn't was a huge flaw for me. I miss just being able to click an album and pressing sync rather than having to monkey with my library. I don't need the software to orginize my music just put it on my device.

Alright its getting late and this is starting to turn into a rant and has rambled on long enough. Sorry for that, but your recomendations are appreciated.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 35
My sister got a ZVM for xmas, I had to load it with all her music of course. Ripped with EAC, converted from flac to mp3. And Used Auto gordian to convert a dvd to xvid. The screen is great, sq, doesn't touch my xtra, but, overall, better than my friend's ipods. I haven't used the Zune, but, 60gig, and a nice product by creative gets my vote. I'd wait on a second version of the zune to come out before I picked it up, let them get the bugs out, and let the first one get rock boxed(because who wouldn't want that thing rockboxed!).

Edit: I forgot to mention, the creative software is simple, and pretty straight forward. It is easy to use and figure out. Or, you could always just use winamp...

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 35
A couple of my friends have a zvm and they love it. I havent read to many good reviews about the zune, but my vote goes to the zvm.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't need a larger player for on the go but with itunes having to "check" what is to be synced and what isn't was a huge flaw for me. I miss just being able to click an album and pressing sync rather than having to monkey with my library.

you didn't need to do it like that. you could manually update your ipod and just drag over the arists, albums, or songs you wanted.

you can use wmp11 and the zune software before you buy to see what you like.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 35
I have a Zune and I love it. I think the reason it didn't get good reviews is because the marketers for the Ipod have the reporters so tight in there fist it's hard to get them out. And just I guess you either love the Ipod or hate it.

I recomend the Zune.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 35
most of the negative reviews against the zune is niot because of design o quality but for it's troublesome software.........go to amazon.con and you will see the mix review for the zune

according to my hours of research ipod woul be cool for listening your songs as loong as song are minimized in 128 kbs or ask some of thheese veteran headfiers about the mini disc and the lossless format

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 35
If it helps the Zune software no longer crashes with v1.2 (least not for me).

Microsoft also seems to be very interested in having at least some success, so they'll probably keep things moving rather quickly.

The Zune software actually isn't that bad once you turn off auto sync and play with it for a bit. I actually prefer it to itunes... mostly because it is nowhere near as much of a resource hog (though nowhere near as pretty either).

No real lasting experience with the ZV:M here, but by now it's a mature product with few if any bugs in it. You could use Mediamonkey or WMP with your ZV:M if you don't like their software. Only problem is that Creative may be coming out with a replacement for the ZV:M sometime soon.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 35
I don't know why everyone has so much trouble with ZVM software? For me it's pretty much drag and drop through creative media explorer. Media explorer opens up a window that looks like the ZVM is a flash drive/memory card. I pick folders I want, or files, and drop onto it. Can't get any harder than that?

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 35
Definitely Creative.

It's too bad that the mp3 world seems to be narrowing down to the ipod and the zune when there are so many players out there that are better than either.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Also I have a music library much larger than 30GB.

The Vision M has a 60gb version.

Quote:

I don't need a larger player for on the go but with itunes having to "check" what is to be synced and what isn't was a huge flaw for me.

If you had read the manual, messed around with settings, or even asked in an iPod forum you would have found out in a few minutes that you didn't need to do that. Just put the iPod on manual. Drag and drop what you want into the iPod... You could just have higlighted a whole album and synced it right into your iPod. Just like you wanted to do.

Quote:

I don't need the software to orginize my music just put it on my device.

That's another thing that if you had read the manual, messed around with settings, or even asked in an iPod forum you would have found out in a few minutes that you didn't need to do that. Just go Edited > Preferances > Advanced and you have the Keep iTunes music folder organized (check or uncheck it) and the Copy Files To Itunes Music Folder When Addding To Library (check or uncheck it)

To many people say that iTunes "controls there music" and it's obvious that they just left everything on the default setting and didn't bother to changes settings to thier preferance. Those two options I post above would solve 95% of those gripes that "iTunes is to controlling". Sorry for the mini rant. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people say things like that... and the solution is so simple. Just read the manual... or go into preferances and figure it out yourself.... that's what I did!

Quote:

It's too bad that the mp3 world seems to be narrowing down to the ipod and the zune when there are so many players out there that are better than either.

I feel the same. The Zune is inferior (specwise and softwarewise) to most other non iPod players. But people buy it because it's produced by microsoft. If this player where made by a no name comapany nobody would even consider it. Kinda pisses me off the MS is getting away with selling this, there are much better player out there. The Vision M is defaintly one of them. Even the Gigabeat S is better than the Zune... which the Zune is based on!

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the same. The Zune is inferior (specwise and softwarewise) to most other non iPod players. But people buy it because it's produced by microsoft. If this player where made by a no name comapany nobody would even consider it. Kinda pisses me off the MS is getting away with selling this, there are much better player out there. The Vision M is defaintly one of them. Even the Gigabeat S is better than the Zune... which the Zune is based on!

I don't think so. The interface on the Zune is unmatched anywhere in the mp3 player world. IT has, by far, the best interface around. Additionaly, MS seems pretty keen to keep updates rolling out and I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant features added in the coming months. It has its limitations, but I don't regret my decision to get one at all.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 35
thanks for all of your opinions. I think I have to go with the Zen Vision:M. It's seem to be the wisest choice out of the two. It's also $50 cheaper at best buy right now so I can buy the over priced ac adapter and be at $250 on the nose after tax...

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. The interface on the Zune is unmatched anywhere in the mp3 player world. IT has, by far, the best interface around. Additionaly, MS seems pretty keen to keep updates rolling out and I wouldn't be surprised to see some significant features added in the coming months. It has its limitations, but I don't regret my decision to get one at all.

Interface is about preferance. I find that the interface is to busy for my taste. But that's just me. What I mean about inferior is stuff that isn't about preferance. Like specs. Also the fact that the Zune software is known to be bad. It's not just a couple of complaints.... it's in every official review as well....

Zune vs. iPod vs. Zen Vision:M Comparison Chart from Dapreview.

Crippled wifi and a .5" bigger screen doesn't make this player appealing at all to me over the other options. Everyone else offers alot more for my money.

I though MS only released one new update for the Zune? I could be wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back