Help me convert my roommate from Ibuds... recommendations needed! ($30-40)
Feb 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iareconfuse, how do these compare with other IEMS you'vre tried?
and what kind of music do they sound good with?

Are they pretty unbiased in their sound? (neutral? any sound signatures?)

I'm not an IEM guy, so these were my only pair. All I can say about them is that the mids are too muddy at first before burn in. Highs are fine, bass is immensely weak without some decent amping, although amping with too much gain will cause massive distortion easily. The stock tips are pretty junk, they're just too thin, and I've emailed Jlab about this and they said they'll see to getting different tips made. I bought some double flange ear tips from these guys: Steote.net. Best in earphones accessories. and it helped a little bit.

If you want to bring the bass out on these, try making your own tips using ear plugs, you can find how to do this in another thread somewhere in the IEM forum.

The earphones' mids open up a little bit after burn in, but not enough for me to prefer these IEM's over any other portable headphone. I just think they're decent for their price range, especially when I got them for the BOGO offer.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

mm...
how do the Nuforce NE-7m's compare to the RE2's??

The NE-7M are more balanced as in the NE-7M has significantly more bass.
Both have around the same soundstage and the RE2 may seem to have a very slight edge on treble detail. The RE2's with the default large biflange tips are more comfortable but this sacrifices isolation.
That said, the NE-7M is a better all round buy.

My little bro tested both the NE-7M and the RE2 with Fiio E5 amp on bass mode and he preferred the NE-7M's.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both have around the same soundstage and the RE2 may seem to have a very slight edge on treble detail. The RE2's with the default large biflange tips are more comfortable but this sacrifices isolation.
That said, the NE-7M is a better all round buy.

My little bro tested both the NE-7M and the RE2 with Fiio E5 amp on bass mode and he preferred the NE-7M's.

If the NE-7M has a lot more bass than the RE2 then it isn't exactly balanced.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto. Can you clarify this? I think im leaning towards getting my roomate the NE-7MS.. sounds about right (and am also curious as to all the hype here about the Nuforce buds...)

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the NE-7M has a lot more bass than the RE2 then it isn't exactly balanced.

Uh, yes it is as in the bass, mids and treble are all near equal in quantity (slight leaning towards bass but not significant).
That's what I mean by balanced.

The RE2's are heavily bias (thus 'un-balanced') towards the treble thus are 'bright'.
Most, if not all, sub US$150 earphones are bias towards one end of the spectrum. Cheapos are usually bass-heavy.
The NE-7M have a more balanced sound than the RE2's and that's what I prefer as I listen to range of music.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Ditto. Can you clarify this? I think im leaning towards getting my roomate the NE-7MS.. sounds about right (and am also curious as to all the hype here about the Nuforce buds...)

the NE-7M actually has some bass, quantity wise, versus the RE2.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 28
sennheiser PX-100s or for a bit more the 200s. They can be found on line cheap, sound great, are very portable and do eliminate a good bit of abmient noise. I've bought several pairs for people over the years to get them away from the iBuds.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 28
sadly, i cannot agree with the need to make anyone buy something they don't need. if that was necessary, whatever hobby your roomie was into would have to be reciprocated. i just hope it is not into collecting porshe cars -- then his mates would have to help him ask you to sell your toyota to get a porshe - i don't get the logic: let those whose hobby ain't headphones alone.

if they approach you about headphones, i get it, but not otherwise.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 28
In the past, I used the KSC/35 to get people away from the iBuds, they were cheap enough and the sound difference was amazing. Nowadays it's the PK3, which has the advantage of being a simple bud.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadly, i cannot agree with the need to make anyone buy something they don't need. if that was necessary, whatever hobby your roomie was into would have to be reciprocated. i just hope it is not into collecting porshe cars -- then his mates would have to help him ask you to sell your toyota to get a porshe - i don't get the logic: let those whose hobby ain't headphones alone.

if they approach you about headphones, i get it, but not otherwise.

Maybe you got the idea of this thread wrong, I'm not trying to make my roomate spend any money; I'm trying to buy him a pair because his old buds are worn out and its his birthday gift.

Please read through at least the start of the thread before assuming anything about the thread, think it'll cause less misconceptions
tongue_smile.gif

now with that out of the way, i think ill get him the Nuforce NE-7MS... just worried about the cord length.. 1.2m... i think most of my chords are over 50''.. anyone have an issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back