Help me come up with potential mods for my DAC
Jun 21, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my suggestions:

Build a STEPS for 5 volt operation. Disconnect the power bus from the input, and run the entire DAC board from your new PSU.

Optionally build a thread for variable operation (say 5 or 12 volt, or even up to 24), and dissconnect the opamp power pins from the board, then use the new PSU to power your opamps. Now you have more versatility in the opamps you choose.

Depending on the circuit topology: OPA627 in sockets at 24 volts.

Replace all the electrolytics with better quality. (blackgate in signal path, etc.)

Replace all resistors after the gain stage (or if you feel happy, replace all resistors in the signal path) with kiwames.

Here are the over the top suggestions:
In addition to the above mentioned:
Disconenct the line out. Take the output from the DAC, and run it to your new 5687 tube buffer stage. Output from the buffer stage goes to your line out. It would be best to remove the DAC board from teh chasis and rebuild inside your own.

Hey you didn't specify a budget, so I just kept going.

I would agree with the new PSU and a new output stage (although not valve based as it would cost far too much on this DAC to be worth it).

The capacitors and especially the resistor replacing I would not do however as it already uses metal film resistors and the so called "audiophile" capacitors are mostly fancy packaging and pseudo science and should be avoided like the plague. I mean this site plain lies in many places:
http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/blackgate/bgmain.htm
Also how do you measure "transparency"? and as far as I know presence is a type of treble boosting filter... which black gates are not.

some of the other comments.. fancy paper and plugs?!?!? seriously what planet are you on.. the case of this thing is thick aluminium which blocks RFI far better than that fancy paper. As for the plugs the current ones make perfectly good contact, what is there to be improved there?
It annoys me when people peddle expensive crap like that; these companies are out there to rip you off, don't you see that?

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree with the new PSU and a new output stage (although not valve based as it would cost far too much on this DAC to be worth it).

The OP did not mention anyhting about cost. A different output stage would very likely sound al ot better than the one on board.

Quote:

The capacitors and especially the resistor replacing I would not do however as it already uses metal film resistors and the so called "audiophile" capacitors are mostly fancy packaging and pseudo science and should be avoided like the plague.

That is your OPINION. It is a fairly well known fact that electrolytics are evil, and if they must be used, to use a good quality one. They are nto all just 'fancy packaging'
rolleyes.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is your OPINION. It is a fairly well known fact that electrolytics are evil, and if they must be used, to use a good quality one. They are nto all just 'fancy packaging'
rolleyes.gif

so you have measurements to back up the electrolitics are evil thing (in low voltage environments)? as I have never seen any it seems to more like a mantra repeated on and on until it must be true.

As for good quality I don't actually see any measurements comparing black gates etc. to normal electrolitics like rubycon? (as far as I know they all measure identicaly)

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

so you have measurements to back up the electrolitics are evil thing (in low voltage environments)? as I have never seen any it seems to more like a mantra repeated on and on until it must be true.

As for good quality I don't actually see any measurements comparing black gates etc. to normal electrolitics like rubycon? (as far as I know they all measure identicaly)

Actually, Rubycon makes BlackGate capacitors, but that's another story.

One sentence you're asking how to measure sound, the next you're asking for measurements comparing capacitors in terms of sound... hmm.. sounds pretty flaky.

Personal experience is what I always suggest to be used, and although I haven't tried everything myself, when something is commonly described a certain way, until proven wrong by myself, I can assume it's true.

I have placed a few different electrolytic caps in the signal path of my amps and AlienDACs and I can tell you right off the bat, BlackGate NX series sound MUCH better than Panasonic FM/FC or Nichicon PW which I use all over the power supply. Elna RFS (Silmic II) are a bit brighter but still very pleasant, even a little more detailed without the serious bass.

After hearing the differences for myself, I knew which ones I like to use personally and feel fine about recommending something or agreeing with jbloudg20 recommendation about the caps here.

I also can definitely agree that electrolytic capacitors don't sound as good as most film types. After I switched out the electrolytic caps out of my AlienDAC and replaced them with Audience AuriCap, Mundorf MCap ZN and a few of the other cheap film types, they all pretty beat the electrolytic. The 2 named were a CLEAR winner in almost every regard, while the cheaper film types just sounded nicer, but when comparing back and forth, I can only describe it as a cleaner, less congested sound rather than an astounding change not even worth comparing in detail.

Which electrolytic capacitors have you heard on the output of a DAC that you say they sound the same? Did you compare a BlackGate NX to another capacitor and find it was lacking in something or are you just an ignorant person and simply as you say "more like a mantra repeated on and on until it must be true"?

Jun 21, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 21
my mind tricks me if I try and measure how something sounds by changing tiny things like components. Because I paid more for something it automaticly sounds better or because I came up with a theoretically better design it always sounds better. I have capacitors from very cheap power supply's that are of so questionable quality that they have blown up on me under normal operating conditions. Under all listening I have done they sound the same as more expensive branded capacitors I have Elna long life and Rubycon (yes I know blackgates are made by rubycon). Then again I don't trust myself because I want them to sound the same as they have identical frequency response and phase distortion. Just as I don't trust my ears I don't trust anyone elses, which leaves the pridiciment of how to "prove" or disprove one capacitor or another sound bettter or worse than another. The only way I can think of is to mesure every undesirable charactaristic of a capacitor. mainly inductance and ESR, in this respect most capacitors mesure close to equaly. Thus my claim that black gates etc are a waste of money.

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #21 of 21
That makes complete sense and I would have to agree to some extent. It unfortunately doesn't change the fact that I can tell the difference between how 3 AlienDACs, all identical and in identical cases but with 3 different capacitors sound quite different to me. I totally forgot which is which by now, and needed to open them up when I had to sell one. Still, one I like the most, the other, not as much.

For lack of technical knowledge, I unfortunately can't compare specs on capacitors well enough to really find what is desirable. I know it's bad, but I do depend on others to suggest what is good or not, then I have the much simpler job of deciding which sounds the best to me out of the suggested ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back