Help me chose portable headphones!!!!!!
Jun 5, 2008 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

crimzin

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum
biggrin.gif

My Koss KSC-75 has had this slight rattling with bass intense music in one of the ears for the past 6 months or so - i always put off getting new ones cause i figured its not too bad, i can live with it. Anyway, recently, the cabling seems to have stuffed up as well. I have to move the cable around near the plug to get sound coming from both sides and the slightest movement there will make the sound come from the one ear again. I called up Koss and they can replace/repair it for me for $15 shipping. Now I can simply go to ebay and buy the same pair for $25 or so. So I don't really want to send them in... I was thinking of either just getting the same pair from ebay OR something new for a change. (i've had the koss for over a year)

Some people recommend the PX100 and others recommend the koss porta pros or sporta pro. I'm leaning towards the porta pros right now but I'm not sure if it's worth the $50 while I can get the KSC75 for just 25.

Are there any other nice small portable headphones that you guys recommend? I'm sure theres something other than px100, KSC67, porta or sporta pro, but they seem to be my only choices.

Oh and as a side note, I also own a pair of PXC 250 from Sennheiser. I think they're very nice as they make you feel as though you're in a world of your own. Even on the train, it's seems so quiet. The sound quality isn't all that fantastic, I find the KSC75s a bit better or equal for some reason even though they're so much cheaper. haha is that normal?
biggrin.gif
Oh and I cant use my PXC250 as freely anymore because I ripped the headphone jack and my attempt at recabling it sucks and it looks so ugly, also when i accidentally touch the cable near jack, the sound comes from only one ear! Do you know how much it costs to get it properly done, or is that even possible?

Thanks guys! Sorry for the long post!

In summary what i need is recommendation for new portable headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 16
See tangentsoft website for vids on soldering - should be helpful.

I too, found that with the ksc-75 sibilance gets on my nerves.

Try the iGrado. Built well and you might REALLY like them if you liked the ksc-75's.

The PX100's are a good choice - but there are a lot of fakes out there.

I would look into IEM's from Denon or Atrio for your purposes - no amp required. Those c700s are built like a tank and sound good to boot. They are ~100, but you will never need to replace them. If you fancy highs, I would look into the Jays.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See tangentsoft website for vids on soldering - should be helpful.

I too, found that with the ksc-75 sibilance gets on my nerves.

Try the iGrado. Built well and you might REALLY like them if you liked the ksc-75's.

The PX100's are a good choice - but there are a lot of fakes out there.

I would look into IEM's from Denon or Atrio for your purposes - no amp required. Those c700s are built like a tank and sound good to boot. They are ~100, but you will never need to replace them. If you fancy highs, I would look into the Jays.

Sweet thanks!
I'm looking into the Igrado.. it's a bit hard to find them on ebay though.. are they the same price as the porta pros?

I'm not sure I'm up for in ear headphones.. i had a pair of sonys that came with my walkman phone, it was so annoying to shove them in your ears lol.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 16
Koss would probably send you a new pair to replace the ones you have. I think that is their protocol and the way they save money on workers to repair.

The portapro uses the same drivers as the ksc35 last time I checked, which some perfer over the ksc75. Personally, having owned all of these headphones, I would go for the px100 due to simplicity, style and portability.

If you want something closed I would say either denon d1000 or the ath-es7 (i think that is the model name). These are popular portable closed cans for noisy buses (although not that noise canceling) and quiet offices.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Radio Shack has (had?) the KSC75 on sale a week or so back for $20. Their (Ratshack's) original price is $27 or $28.

I know for sure that they have the KOSS UR40 and PRO35A on sale now:

UR40
orig: $50
sale: $30

PRO35A
orig: $40
sale: $25

Just as a side note on some "similar" sounding phones to the KSC75.

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 16
The closed headphones are way too expensive and I don't really like the Grado.

I'm kinda leaning to the portapro. I can get them cheaper from ebay than the px100 and i'm assuming there's less fakes.

Are there any phones like the px200 that are closed but sound better than the px200 for the same price?

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimzin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any phones like the px200 that are closed but sound better than the px200 for the same price?

Not as portable (not collapsing like the px200), but maybe you'd like these Beyers (DT231 or DT235):

beyerdynamic DT 231 Galactic @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
beyerdynamic DT 235 Black @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Compare them to the PX200's here:
Sennheiser PX 200 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I would like to try these myself, but I kinda like checking things out "locally"...not a big fan of "sending" (mailing) things back. Just me.
rolleyes.gif

The Beyers look comfy as can be, with those soft pads and the extra headband thing (I love that feature - the Koss PRO35A has the coolest rubber stretch band in it's headband...great for us follically-challenged folks...hehe).
RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Headphones: Koss Titanium Portable Headphone
The link shows them listed at the PRO35T, but when you get to the store, they're the PRO35A (regarded by many as the better sounding version...relating to the pads used on them). I really like the comfort on them, personally (PRO35A) and the sound is very, very close tot he KSC75's, but then again...those are still "open"....sorry, just babbling.

Anyway, a little bit bigger, but still not bad, and very affordable are the Senn HD201. I really like those and they only ran me $24, IIRC.

I'd like to hear the PX200's myself, too...but again...nobody seems to sell them locally, for me to "audition."
wink.gif

I like the PX100's, but of course they are not "closed." I've heard people having issues getting a good seal on the PX200's...the Beyer DT231's seem to get alot of praise in this category. Might be good for you.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyorobbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not as portable (not collapsing like the px200), but maybe you'd like these Beyers (DT231 or DT235):

beyerdynamic DT 231 Galactic @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
beyerdynamic DT 235 Black @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Compare them to the PX200's here:
Sennheiser PX 200 @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I would like to try these myself, but I kinda like checking things out "locally"...not a big fan of "sending" (mailing) things back. Just me.
rolleyes.gif

The Beyers look comfy as can be, with those soft pads and the extra headband thing (I love that feature - the Koss PRO35A has the coolest rubber stretch band in it's headband...great for us follically-challenged folks...hehe).
RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Headphones: Koss Titanium Portable Headphone
The link shows them listed at the PRO35T, but when you get to the store, they're the PRO35A (regarded by many as the better sounding version...relating to the pads used on them). I really like the comfort on them, personally (PRO35A) and the sound is very, very close tot he KSC75's, but then again...those are still "open"....sorry, just babbling.

Anyway, a little bit bigger, but still not bad, and very affordable are the Senn HD201. I really like those and they only ran me $24, IIRC.

I'd like to hear the PX200's myself, too...but again...nobody seems to sell them locally, for me to "audition."
wink.gif

I like the PX100's, but of course they are not "closed." I've heard people having issues getting a good seal on the PX200's...the Beyer DT231's seem to get alot of praise in this category. Might be good for you.

I'll try to check out the Beyers headphones, maybe I can try them out at some place.
biggrin.gif
I wounder if they sound like the px200 or more like the pxc250 with sound canceling enabled. But i dont know if i'd go for them as they are pretty bulky and wont be so convenient to carry around. (thats the reason i dont use my pxc250 anymore)

I have the pxc250 and apparently they sound the same as px200 if noise canceling is turned off. Well, it's an okay sound I guess, but it's just not alive.. if that makes sense. They sound pretty boring with noise canceling turned off and lacking in base and soundstage.

thanks mate
smily_headphones1.gif

haha, I have no idea if its worth getting the porta pros!!! i hate decisions!!! Anyone else? right now im thinking either ksc75 or porta pro.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 16
i'm very happy with my px100. i haven't heard the porta pros but i do have the pro35a and would listen to the px100 over them anytime. the sennheisers sound richer and not nearly as muddy as the other pair...at least to my ears. hope this helps a bit. good luck with your choice.

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 16
love my porta pros. would choose them over px100s anyday. and sorry to dissent Shakey27, but they aint muddy even with that bass - the clarity is just superb on that pair.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Hmm...

Isn't this in the wrong forum? It should be in the portable forum should it not?

Have you considered IEM's? They're really good for portable use since they isolate very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back