Help me choose the right headphone!
Apr 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Valhallatier

Head-Fier
Hello, im a new guy here!
i'm looking for headphone mainly for gaming and some music

So currently i have an ATH M50, they are very good sounding but that soundstage.... ehm not the best, i mainly play BF4, its REALLY hard to spot enemy footsteps.
now im searching what's the best headphone for me.

what i want/need :
- Budget 200$, can be raised if needed...
- GOOD/EXCELLENT soundstage but still closed back
- good overall sound for music, i kinda want it to be like my M50, no overpowered anything but can still identify each instrument when it plays.
- Closed back, open is not an option.
- Circumaural. if not then a supra aural is ok as long the ear pads are comfy and NOT like my M50's where it just squish my ears.
- lightweight

I'm currently looking at the Sennheiser HD 449, are these any good? some said they don't have any 'wow' factor.
How about the Sennheiser HD 380 pro? how's the soundstage compared to HD449?
just for comparison, the HD380 pro is about 100$ more compared to the HD449 so i don't
know which worth more.
also looked at Beyers DT770 but not really available in my country.

so yeah help and suggestions please!

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 41
Hate to say it, but excellent soundstage pretty much requires open back. You can probably find some closed headphones with a better soundstage than what you have now, but closed and soundstage are major tradeoffs. 

Here's a thread that might be of interest:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/610459/biggest-soundstage-in-a-closed-headphone-under-300

Also:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-3-29-2014-ultrasone-hs-15-added-edits

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 41
i'm sorry if this is kinda out of topic but
sennheiser HD449 or HD380 pro in terms of soundstage?

i know closed and soundstage doesn't go well together, thats why i ask this question on this forum.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 41
As Manbear said... you've pretty much limited to yourself to the K550.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 41
Agreed. AKG K550 have the biggest soundstage of any closed headphone I have heard. Much bigger than M50. They won't have the bass emphasis of the M50s, but they do have good bass extension.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 41

please for the love of whoever make us, read the original post
TL;DR max 200$...
also most headphones here are sennheiser's.

Well sennheiser doesn't make much in terms of closed back in your price range.

As far as soundstage go for closed back, the k550 is a good option and CAN be had within your price range if you're patient, or you want to get a refurbished pair, which can be had for under 200. AKG has them up on their website refurbished for 130 sometimes. 

Other options that are closed back that are known to have a wide soundstage are the ATH A900x, which is mentioned in http://www.head-fi.org/t/610459/biggest-soundstage-in-a-closed-headphone-under-300 above, which brand new at current prices are about 180-200, but in the last two weeks have been seen for much lower. (several pairs on amazon right now in the 150 range.)

The A900x are generally very well liked in terms of sound, and are lighter than the M50, however they use a wing type system instead of a headband, which some people find very comfortable, and others don't. I personally like the wing system, easy to wear for hours. 

I've never heard them, but I've read that the soundmagic hp100 has a very good soundstage for a closed back headphone, which can be had for a bit under 200 dollars. I don't know where you are located, so I can't really factor in shipping costs. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 41
please for the love of whoever make us, read the original post
TL;DR max 200$...

also most headphones here are sennheiser's.

I'm sorry I missed that. No reason to be rude. :rolleyes:

Now in many countries the K550s are in your price range. You should look around.

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 41
The internet is not strong with this one :D

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 41
  why K550? it looks bulky and not lightweight.

It only looks that way. It actually feels light on the head, and they aren't that bulky considering the earcups are flatter than a lot of other closed headphones with round, bulky cups, and better yet they fold flat. Hangs on your neck easier, plus if you have a large laptop anyway (14in to 17.3in) and your bag can fit it folded along with some kind of padded insert, they'll still be easier to transport than a lot of other circumaural headphones. If anything the cables are a bit long (especially compared to the K551, which also has a remote) but they're thin enough, any good quality cable management clip (like those shaped like a dog bone or fish skeleton) can work.

and the price is obviously out of my range.

- Budget 200$, can be raised if needed...

Is another $35 way above that budget? http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K550-Closed-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396924310&sr=8-1&keywords=K550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back