Help me choose sub $100
Feb 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Cazten

New Head-Fier
Hey guys first time on here. I've been wanting a pair of hi fidelity quality headphones for a bit now. I want to go IEM. I need some helping picking what choices I have available to fit my standards.

Starting my requirements. 
Im trying to stay sub $100
true to source hi fidelity. I'm not looking for interpretations or coloration. I know some sets can add a bit of their own signature, and it's ok within reason but I'm looking for some of the best I can get that will play the music as intended. Lowest distortion, best time domain, flattest frequency response.

I want to hear things a lesser stereo didn't even present. I want all the sparkle shimmer ect. Details, but without sound "metallic". It's possible to have high detail without fatigue.
i like my bass, but even more so I like my bass to be accurate. Sure I like to turn it up when I can at times, but most important is that it is fast and never muddy. When kicks drums are rolling and complicated baselines compete I want it to articulate. And I hopefully want it to be able to reach down deep to hit those lowest notes I can get.

From my little research it seems like a re 0 or hf5 is the sound I want, but I'm weary they won't have the guts down low. Perhaps optimally a dynamic dual driver that posses the supreme clarity and articulation those two items are known for?

Recomendations? If nothing's in my range what's the first steps up? 

Edit: to post my intended setup. 
ill be running this on an iPod nano. I eventually intend on a hi quality portable amp. Fiio11 maybe.

For music. I listen to everything from hip hop to rock so I want dynamic diversity.
but when I listen for the real sessions, where I want the hi fidelity to shine ill be listening mostly to instrumental music. Joe satriani, Steve vai, jazz ect, lots of guitar

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 28
I would agree with your choices of the RE0 and the HF5. The HF5 puts out more detail, and sounds better as a whole IMO but i think the RE0 has the better lows. So between those two it depends on where you're more willing to make the sacrifice. 

Also, I'm not a fan of accurate sound signatures so take this with a grain of salt lol. Hopefully someone with the same preferences as you will chime in.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 28
Based on your description of your preferences, it seems like the HF5s or RE0s will work, but I suspect you would be just as happy with the JVC FXT90, which is a dual dynamic with a more fun sound sig, but retains that clarity and depth. However, it does come out to around $135, so it might be out of your budget.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 28
RE0 over HF5

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 28

Quote:
RE0 over HF5

HF5 over RE0 IMO. Also the Phonak PFEs are superb and if you want to save money, just buy the Phonak Perfect Bass. Same sound, just one set of filers for the perfect bass. Also the Shure SE215s are highly recommended as well. Even the dual driver Brainwavs B2 are an absolute steal for 120ish Canadain Dollars. So many options ^^

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 28
I currently own the RE262s. They are an amazing phone and have something truly special about them.

However, they are heavily colored and given your preferences I'm not sure it would be what you're looking for.

If you're willing to stretch, the RE252 would be a good choice.

Quote:
HOw about the re262 if I wanted to stretch. I have amazon credit to help the offset if I want.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 28
You may want to consider the Atrio's as well.  If you look in the deals thread the 50% off coupon may still be valid at Atrio.me total cost shipped would be around 110.  Other then that my vote would be for the hf5, if you don't mind them in blue the last I knew amazon was selling them cheaper than the other colors.

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 28
Well I have a slight change of pLAN here. I actually have 125 dollars of amazon credit now. This puts me in a position of really only wanted to order anything off amazon.

Problem, the jvc, dba2, brainwavz b2 aren't on there. Dba2 and brainwavz were my running top choices after more research.

Im considering re0 with with a mobile amp to kick up the bass response? Worthwhile option or should I get better bass phones to start with. I'm worried about them beeping too light. I'm not a bass nazi, but I certainly enjoy hearing when a sweet low note hits.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Well I have a slight change of pLAN here. I actually have 125 dollars of amazon credit now. This puts me in a position of really only wanted to order anything off amazon.

Problem, the jvc, dba2, brainwavz b2 aren't on there. Dba2 and brainwavz were my running top choices after more research.

Im considering re0 with with a mobile amp to kick up the bass response? Worthwhile option or should I get better bass phones to start with. I'm worried about them beeping too light. I'm not a bass nazi, but I certainly enjoy hearing when a sweet low note hits.

FYI MP4nation gets a new stock of B2s in next month, and they should go back up on Amazon at that point, if you're willing to wait a bit. Rereading your first post, I'm convinced you'll like the GR07s, especially in terms of their handling of drums. Many people have noted that they seem to excel with drums, which always seem to sound a bit crisper and more lifelike than through other headphones. They're also fairly balanced throughout the spectrum and available on Amazon. I know I sound like I'm plugging and I probably am, but I really believe this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back