Help Me Choose Some Upgrades/Additions to My Vinyl Rig (multiple choice poll)
Aug 14, 2009 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
A year ago I bought this SOTA Star Sapphire Series II vacuum platter turnable with a SME 3009 Series II tonearm.

sota_001.jpg

I am using this deck with a $75 TC-760LC phono preamp.

Since then I have tried a few different cartridges and presently own a Denon DL-103, Benz Copper Reference Wood, Ortofon Kontrapunkt A, and Ortofon Jubilee. My favorite of the lot is the Jubilee and it is the best cartridge these ears have heard on this setup.

But I have been thinking about upgrades again. I am really happy with the deck. It is over 20 years old but looks and sounds great. I have spoken to SOTA about my deck. I gave them the serial number and they sent me all the manufacturing data and service history of it. I was thinking about sending the deck to them early next year to have it upgraded to Series III parts.

But for now I am thinking mostly about replacing the tonearm. I really like the SME 3009 SII, but at the same time I wonder what a more modern arm would sound like on this deck and have had a running fascination with the SME 309 and Series IV and V, and the Origin Live Encounter. If I went for the SME 309 I would not need a new armboard cut, but I would if I went with something else that did not use an SME mount.

I also, for a limited time, have a chance to buy a new ZYX R-1000 Airy3 X for a very good price. One might think that with the line-up of carts that I have that I need another MC cart like a hole in the head, but lately I have come to see some wisdom in having several high quality cartridges, assuming one can afford them.

Before you jump all over my TC-760LC as a weakness and decide it is something that should definitely go, you should know that this cheap phono pre unseated a Cambridge 640P and Dynavector P75 MKII as my preferred phono preamp. The only thing that could drive me to spend considerably more than $75 would be flexibility. After comparing a $75 phono pre to one costing $750 I just don't buy the ton of money gets you better sound argument. These are very basic circuits. The one phono pre that does interest me is the Musical Surroundings Nova Phenomena. It is a battery powered dual mono design and has a large number of gain and loading options so it will work well with pretty much any cartridge made. Still, it's $1,000 and that is far more than I ever expected to spend on a phono preamp.

And of course, I could just by a truckload of new audiophile vinyl and be satisfied with what I have for gear. And that certainly is an option that I am considering.

Vote for what you think I should do. Comments are welcome.

--Jerome

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 108
Before you upgrade a tonearm I would strongly suggest looking at your phono stage. You've spent some good money on the deck and cartridge and you need something that will get the most out of them. I had a Hagerman Coronet II which is judged by many to be the best bang for the buck under $1000. And it was a great pre, but then I heard a Hagerman Trumpet in my system and was floored by the difference. I got one used for a great price and never looked back. The phono pre is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of the analogue chain IMO.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 108
Yes, I have heard that sentiment before. I just don't agree with it. To me the order of importance in the analog chain is Turntable --> Tonearm --> Cartridge --> Phono Preamp. Someone else might have different priorities to be sure. If I can find a $75 phono preamp just as muscially satisfying as one that costs $750, then it is going to be very difficult to persuade me to buy another expensive phono pre. I notice differences in cartridges much more readily than I do the sound signatures of the three phono preamps I have tried. I could not tell the difference between the Dynavector and the TC-760LC.

But as I said, I am intrigued by the Nova Phenomena design and like its flexibility. That said, I could never be persuaded to buy another phono preamp on the promise of better sound alone. The stuff I buy has to bring more to the table than that because everyone claims great sound.

--Jerome

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turntable --> Tonearm --> Cartridge --> Phono Preamp

I think this may be the answer to your question here...with the $ that you have could you tackle the SOTA upgrades and have some left for an arm? or wait just a bit longer and knock them out together? you seem to have the cartridge aspect taken care of currently. the preamp sounds cost effective in your mind and may not show weakness in the link until other upgrades are done first...

of course I personally love the idea of spending $1000 on vinyl, but then again most folks with vinyl rigs would too.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by blmelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this may be the answer to your question here...with the $ that you have could you tackle the SOTA upgrades and have some left for an arm? or wait just a bit longer and knock them out together? you seem to have the cartridge aspect taken care of currently. the preamp sounds cost effective in your mind and may not show weakness in the link until other upgrades are done first...

of course I personally love the idea of spending $1000 on vinyl, but then again most folks with vinyl rigs would too.

Buying vinyl is a perpetual thing with me and is always easily justified. Why just this morning I bought the Jimi Hendrix Live at the Fillmore East on 3 180g LPs from Authentic Hendrix and didn't even give it a second thought.

The SOTA turntable is going to go in for upgrades. What I was mulling over was whether or not I should do it now or send it in next year. There is nothing wrong with the deck as it is but a parts upgrade does sound appealing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What gets upgraded to make it a Series III?

Motor assembly, vacuum pump/power supply, subchassis springs, and platter. You can also pick and choose. What SOTA usually does is get your deck in and then inspect it for a $75 fee (which can be put towards the cost of any repairs or upgrades). They will then give you a report and make suggestions for uprades. I have spoken with them on the phone and they were great to chat with. Their enthusiam for their products sort of rubs off on you.

--Jerome

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 108
OK if the table is eventually going into SOTA, then what is the cost difference btwn that and the new tonearm? I would knock out whichever you think fits your budget better now. The TT is still #1 in your order, so that might be the way to go first then do the arm.

You have the buying vinyl covered my man...

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 108
Quote:

To me the order of importance in the analog chain is Turntable --> Tonearm --> Cartridge --> Phono Preamp.

--Jerome

I agree with this also. Therefore it would seem logical to upgrade the table. I would be torn though, as your table is very good as it stands. I think you might hear a more dramatic improvement with the tonearm upgrade. I prefer the SME to the Origin.

I didn't even consider the vinyl part since I think you would just buy whatever vinyl you're interested in regardless of what else you do
icon10.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 108
The vinyl part was me expressing the notion of saying to hell with upgrades and just spend whatever I was going to budget for that on vinyl.
smile.gif
It is a thought that had crossed by mind more than once.

The SOTA turntable is definitely here to stay. The only thing I am considering is a series III parts upgrade, and all I am deciding is whether to do it now or later. I have no idea what a parts upgrade from SOTA will cost, and they won't go into that until they inspect your deck and can tell you what is appropriate. But I was figuring on budgeting about $1,500 to $2,000 for a parts upgrade. I would be surprised if it came to less than that.

In my own deliberations I have been leaning towards the tonearm as a first choice and trying to decide between the phono stage and ZYX cart as a second item. I know I don't really need the cart but the price is very attractive and it won't last, since ZYX has changed the retail channel in the US and jacked up their prices by nearly 100%. I think the move is going to kill off their brand, but I could be wrong and audiophiles will line up droves to buy a cartridge today for twice as much as they would have paid just six months ago.

--Jerome

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 108
One decision has already been made. I just purchased a brand new SME 309 tonearm. I intend to keep the SME 3009 SII and will probably send it off to get it rewired and to convert that bizarre SME connector to RCA phono jacks.

--Jerome

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 108
I was coming back to say I would go with the tonearm first...glad to see you pulled the trigger. the table will be send in eventually by your admission, so this makes sense.

from your other posts, the cartridge would be a good move too. you like having multiples and the price is getting ready to double. you will save money in the long run and could sell the cartridge shortly for what you have in it after the price increase if you need to get $ back out for any reason...this is more of an investment outlook than a want/need.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 108
Quote:

One decision has already been made. I just purchased a brand new SME 309 tonearm. I intend to keep the SME 3009 SII and will probably send it off to get it rewired and to convert that bizarre SME connector to RCA phono jacks.

Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

I don't think I'll prejudice your opinion if I say you'll be very pleased with the 309.

I often wish I'd kept my 3009. Even though I wasn't all that enamored with the sound, it was just so aesthetically pleasing and a piece of audio history.

Hehe. There's a reason why SME could never keep these in stock.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/u...terson/SME.jpg

Quote:

The vinyl part was me expressing the notion of saying to hell with upgrades and just spend whatever I was going to budget for that on vinyl.
smile.gif
It is a thought that had crossed by mind more than once.

I think that's a point I reached when I found myself just listening to the music and not feeling that I was missing something. I also realized that my listening room was more of a limiting factor than my front end. I get my fixes now by setting up and repairing other people's tables and listening to my friends' systems (and their kids' systems) and their new toys.

I also never doubted for a second that you would keep the SOTA. Your previous posts have expressed a real attachment to that very fine table.
I get the feeling that you may pick up the ZYX anyway, budget permitting. Cartridge acquisition is something few vinyl addicts can resist. I still pick one up occasionally (although not the quality of yours) even though I have a drawer full already.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

I don't think I'll prejudice your opinion if I say you'll be very pleased with the 309.

I have always been fond of SME's designs and for me the 309 was the best choice because I really prefer to have a detachable headshell. I have heard a SME V before but not on a SOTA deck. I was very much struck by the quality engineering that obviously went into creating it.

Quote:

I often wish I'd kept my 3009. Even though I wasn't all that enamored with the sound, it was just so aesthetically pleasing and a piece of audio history.

I do like the sound of my 3009, but only with certain carts. I did not care for the Denon DL-103 with it. But the three different Benz carts (Glider, Wood, and Copper Reference) were wonderful with it, as are the two Ortofons I have (especially the Jubilee).

Quote:

I get the feeling that you may pick up the ZYX anyway, budget permitting. Cartridge acquisition is something few vinyl addicts can resist. I still pick one up occasionally (although not the quality of yours) even though I have a drawer full already.

The ZYX is still on the table, but so is the Musical Surroundings phono preamp.

I also put in an order for some audiophile vinyl with Acoustic Sounds. After all, what good is a new tonearm if you don't have something new and exciting to listen to on it?
wink.gif
Seriously, it is not as though I am starved for gear and content. Last week I took delivery of a Melody I2A3 integrated tube amp that I am using as part of dedicated headphone listening rig for my AKG K1000s. But once these upgrades are done...NO MORE GEAR!! (Yeah, I know. Fat chance of that happening.
biggrin.gif
)

--Jerome

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 108
I decided not to buy the ZYX Airy. It would have been shipped in from Asia and I had some lingering concerns about whether or not it was in fact a new cartridge. So instead I called SORAsound just a few minutes ago and spoke to Mehran. I am buying a ZYX R100 Fuji Silver Base cartridge from him instead.

--Jerome

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 108
I knew it wouldn't take long
wink.gif
. It's going to feel like Christmas at your house.

It's too late now, but if the seller in Asia was 2juki he's a very reputable seller. I and several of my friends have bought from him over the years. He's responsive if there are any problems (although sometimes slow) and corrects them. If he says it's new, it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back