Help me choose (SE530, UM2 or Klipsch Image)
Feb 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

GregBe

100+ Head-Fier
I have decided to go to a more portable setup. For now, I don't plan on using an amp (that may change down the road). I will be using a Zune 80.

Here is what I am looking for. Warm sound signature. Strong tight bass, but not overwhelming. I like a very present midrange. I like my vocals close and intimate. I don't mind having the highs rolled off a bit, as I hate brightness. Comfort and easy of putting them in and out quickly is very important. Also, they must do well unamped.

Thanks for any help
Greg

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Here is what I am looking for. Warm sound signature. Strong tight bass, but not overwhelming. I like a very present midrange. I like my vocals close and intimate. I don't mind having the highs rolled off a bit, as I hate brightness. Comfort and easy of putting them in and out quickly is very important. Also, they must do well unamped.

You just described the SE530 to a T.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 20
You described all three, actually.
I'd say the Image have more forward vocals than Shure E500, from what I gathered. I heard the E500 and I wouldn't say vocals are really forward, nor intimate.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 20
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest the Sleek Audio SA6's. A really fun IEM that leans a bit to the warm side, very nice tonality and has deep, fast, detailed bass. The overall sonic signature can be tuned to personal preference as well. The detachable cord works on a 360 degree swivel so can be worn over the ear or straight. Incredibly comfortable for me.

Feb 19, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 20
Shure SE530 has higher overall sound quality than Westone UM2 with tighter, more controlled bass, and more present high frequencies. However, the UM2 are more fun and intimate to some people, because of their more apparent midrange, whereas the Shures sound more distant, but more detailed and accurate. If i were you though, I would try some Denon AH-C700 - they can be found for around $130 on the net, maybe even less if you're lucky and offer a more fun sound signature IMO than both Shure E500 and Westone UM2, with those forward mids that you crave. While I don't know much about Klipsch image, I suspect that they are too overpriced for their sound.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the input guys. For some reason, I am drawn to the Klipsch, because I keep reading about how comfortable they are, and how easy it is to get a quick fit. This is attractive to me, but unfortunately, my experience with Klipsch speakers is that they are bright. Do the images follow their speaker brothers, or are they as smooth as the UM2 or SE530?

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 20
The IMAGE does pretty much fit your criteria. I would call them neutral rather than warm. Some of us quibble about the treble but they do deliver high end audio as they should at that price. You'll likely love their ease of use, small size and comfort and at least like their sound.

The bigger over ear IEMs usually take more fuss to fit although SE530 is probably one of the better ones for fit. I don't know anything about the UM2 other than what I've read here.

Hehe same time post. I do not think the IMAGEs are bright. Again they are pretty neutral top to bottom and not overly bright like their speakers can be at all.

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 20
The timing of this post is perfect. I was just about to ask almost the same question. I wonder if somebody who has heard the Image and the SE 530 (and maybe the Sleek product) can comment on level of detail. Not in the sense of a forward midrange, etc., but how much detail can be heard in each frequency area. Also, and this is more difficult to describe, can somebody describes how the music flows? I am looking for a holistic musical experience rather than deciding if I like the bass, treble or mids. Mostly, I listen to classical and jazz, with a healthy minority of classic rock.

Thanks all.

Barry

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can somebody describes how the music flows?

I don't know if this will describe what you mean, but here goes. I found the main difference between the Image and E500 was that the E500 seemed to present all the frequencies very separately and distinctly, while the Image present them in a more 'united' way.

With the E500, I would be quite distracted by being able to focus just on the bass, or the midrange, or the treble. I know a lot of people like that quality in the E500s, and it's really a matter of personal preference - but I find the Image sound much more welcoming and 'together'. I didn't feel any 'flow' with the E500, and I do with the Image. Maybe it's to do with single driver vs multi driver. I don't know for sure. But I do know that so far, I haven't preferred multi drivers to single drivers, so I guess that's a listening preference as well.

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The timing of this post is perfect. I was just about to ask almost the same question. I wonder if somebody who has heard the Image and the SE 530 (and maybe the Sleek product) can comment on level of detail. Not in the sense of a forward midrange, etc., but how much detail can be heard in each frequency area. Also, and this is more difficult to describe, can somebody describes how the music flows? I am looking for a holistic musical experience rather than deciding if I like the bass, treble or mids. Mostly, I listen to classical and jazz, with a healthy minority of classic rock.

Thanks all.

Barry

I can only comment on the Sleek SA6's and E500's. I've been living with the E500's now for about a year and half and they've been my sole headphone for a good portion of that. When I had to consolidate my collection to a single phone the reason I went with the E500's over the others was predominately the fact that the overall balance suited my preference and I found myself listening to the music not the equipment if you know what I mean. The SA6's have this same quality but differ in their presentation.

The E500's lean to the warm side as does the SA6's but the SA6 I would say less so. Probably the biggest differences I've found in them is how they deal with soundstage, transients and decay. The E500's have a broader and deeper stage presentation that is a little more out of the head than the SA6's. The SA6's have very focused image placement. The E500's don't have the transient speed that the SA6's have, this gives the SA6 great PRaT while the E500 has smoother, somewhat fuller sound. I wouldn't say one is less detailed than the other but they present things in a somewhat different fashion. For instance, acoustic guitar on the E500's the resonance of the body has a bit more presence while the SA6 has a little more focus on the plucking/strings so you get a better sense of the timing and notes if that makes sense. Both do quite well in all respects but each has a slightly different focus that changes the character a bit.

I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for, if not feel free to ask. I am working on a full review and comparison of the two but I've had to work a few nights and have I'm working on my second head cold in as many weeks so it's been a bit slow going.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 20
the Klipsch Image has a nice easy fit, but the sound quality is not worth $350 dollars. Go with the Shure SE530.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #13 of 20
I agree totally with Soozieq's description of the Image. I cannot imagine a more comfortable IEM. Perhaps the feeling of having nothing there helps the perception of smoothness and sense of realism. It is not an overly bright sound.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree totally with Soozieq's description of the Image. I cannot imagine a more comfortable IEM. Perhaps the feeling of having nothing there helps the perception of smoothness and sense of realism. It is not an overly bright sound.

How would you compare them to the UM2?

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare them to the UM2?

I would love to hear that comparison. Also, how does the M5 compare to the Image.

Thanks
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back