Help me choose my amp upgrade path :D
Jun 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

plonkersaurus

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks all for clicking.

I currently have fairly good headphones but no good amps (my sources are in a arguably better state). I would like for you all to help me figure out an upgrade path to the top with amps, I'll give you an idea of what I've been looking at and you can change my mind and up my budget (probably!)

For my first amp I've been looking for something which is bang for buck the things which I looked at were :
  1. Little Dot MKII/MKIII
  2. Darkvoice 336SE
  3. Meier Audio Arietta
  4. Graham Slee Novo/Novo Kit
  5. Head-Direct EF1
  6. Audiotailor Jade
  7. Premade M3
  8. Beresford TC7520
  9. more that i've forgotten!

After reading reviews of all of those and wanting them each depending on the time of day I think I've worked out that for the money the M3 is probably going to be the best performer.

Anyone disagree with that? Will any of the other headphone amps out perform the M3?

Now for slightly more the following can be had
  1. Heed Canamp
  2. Graham Slee Solo
  3. C2C
  4. Darkvoice 3322
  5. Lots Lots more

Are any of those going to make the M3 sound silly?

After these two steps where would be next to go?

The headphones I mostly need this amp for is the W5000's and the K501's but I know they are 2 different things to amp completely.

So any other suggestions? I'm willing to skip my first tier if the second tier is a big step up.

Thanks for any help!

Jun 18, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 6
M3 is a really good amp. I would certainly buy used, though.They pop up on the forums every once in a while. The last one I saw was only $240, which I would think has to be less than parts cost. The amps that fallenangel suggested are also very good.

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 6
Of the ones you posted, I owned the Little Dot MKIII and Audiotailor Jade. For the W5000, I would say no to Little Dot and yes to Jade. Through auditioning, I liked the Jade more than EF1 and I liked the M^3 with power supply a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back