Help me Choose from these two closed headphones! Sennheiser hd 25 or Audio Technica esw10
May 19, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kimmy7

New Head-Fier
I have narrowed that are the two best closed headphones which are suitable for portable use.(Sennheiser hd 25, Audio Technica esw10) Both of these headphones have an amazing reputation, and thus i would be thankful if you could add any input into my decision.
normal_smile .gif

I realise that while i may be giving up some quality because they are not open-back headphones, i need to have a closed headphones because of my needs- eg. ill be listening in the university library, and also at a work office. I have searched these forums and it seems that these two should match up-based on sound quality, but i stilll cannot get a good idea of how and what they will sound like.

If you have any other recommendations for a closed headphone that is
-cable less than 2m, -able to be run off a cowon pmp, -doesn't leak much, please dont hesitate in stating a option.

May 19, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't know what the Audio Technica esw10 sound light but right now I am test driving a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 which sound very nice and durable with it metal head band. The vocals sound very nice and treble is a little up front but doesn't over shadow the mids and lows but I am comparing a these to my HD650 which seem on unfair.

PS. If you try these headphones give them at least a hr to burn in to sound decent.

May 19, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the esw10's. They are a brilliant headphone in my opinion. I love 'em, and won't likely part with them. That said, here's what I think of them for portable use:

They are FAR too pretty to take out and about.

They are FAR too expensive to take out and about.

They really don't isolate very well - you will hear every ambient noise around you. Interestingly, you won't bother a soul with leakage out of your headphones. These are my lay in bed phones. My lovely wife hears nothing or nearly nothing, though I listen at pretty low volume. I hear the TV if it's on, pages rustling, you get the picture.

I have no experience with the HD-25, so no comments there other than this: I was shopping for these among others when a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780's became available. I am very interested in hearing the Senns. They seem a great, durable, good isolating phone that look acceptable in public, but not so nice that someone would snatch and grab. The ESW10's will eventually get pinched.

I use the Ultrasone HFI 780's for portable use. They isolate well, and are comfortable and sound good after some mods. I didn't like 'em all that well stock, either sound or comfort. Oh, and the 400+ hours of burn in is actually accurate - I called BS on it until I got them.

Edit after re-reading the OP: The esw10's are easy to drive, sound great out of an iPhone, have very detailed yet non fatiguing highs and sublimely tight, accurate, deep and pretty loud bass. They are forgiving of bad recordings and sibilance. They are light and very comfortable, up to the 2ish hour mark. They are stunningly beautiful. I take mine to work very seldom, because I don't want them to get scratched, hence the ultrasones.

On the ultrasones, I like them more and more, but they are a work in progress for me. I didn't like them that well stock, and I don't like them as well as the esw10's, They were a third the price, though! As long as they continue to work and sound good, I don't care what happens to them. Oh, and the cable is annoyingly long. That is the next mod for me - a recable with better wire and to 5' length with a 3.5 mm plug.

I hope that helps!

May 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't know the vendor. The price is roughly the going rate. If you are serious, there is a pair in the FS forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...canada-424914/

I paid the same price for mine used a couple of months ago. I've had excellent luck in the FS forums here. As always, do your homework, check the seller's feedback, etc.

Also, the ESW9 gets great reviews here. I've considered it for a truly portable pair. The pain of damage or loss is a lot lower with the 9's over the 10's.

May 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 10
I have a HD25 and an ESW9, so I can't comment about ESW10 as such. However, I must say that the ESW9 sounds significantly better. Not overwhelmingly better, but noticeably so. That, and I think that HD25 is ugly as sin. If you don't need to block sound out, I'd say settling for ESW9 over ESW10 is a good way to go. I'd guess ESW10 blows HD25 out of the water... It' an unfair comparison, IMO.

May 19, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Unfortunately i am not in USA or Canada so i cannot consider them. I have asked around, and it does seem to be a genuine seller. I will purchase the esw10, and if i really treasure them i may purchase the esw9 for portable use. (from a proper store)- to avoid counterfeits.

Thank you Aameford, hvu and jonathanjong!!!
Honestly this is a very wonderful site! Your opinions and experiences that you shared were incredibly helpful.

May 20, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait...cannot consider what? I'm in NZ, and I can easily get my hands on ESW9, ESW10, and HD25. All from overseas, of course.

She is most likely referring to the cans for sale on the for sale forum. Also, I just got my hands on a pair of esw9's and man, I think they are great. I actually prefer the sound to many of the phones I've tried. Anyway, I know you'll like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back