Help me choose between these budget headphones
Aug 17, 2007 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jerome

New Head-Fier
also need confirmation that one of these following open cans i am looking into are;

a/ versatile in terms of ability in playing various musical genres
b/ has a strong, punchy bass
c/ VERY IMPORTANT: doesn't require an amp. or any modding that's either effort or costly for i am completely new to this as well as rather budgetted down as a student.

here are the main ones i've been looking at;
1/ sennheiser hd 595 £85
2/ grado sr 125 £120
3/ grado sr 80? £80-90
4/ alessandro ms-1 £55
5/ akg k601 £130
6/ beyerdynamic dt 880 £150

my musical preferences range from real convoluted punk rock to minimalist music with a lot of other genres in between, so a reasonable detail / soundstaging ability is required. thanks in advance for any help and yes i realise this is my third similar thread but this should be my final!
redface.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 13
your choices are tricky.

1) the grado's/ alessandro's and the senns aren't going to be strong on gut thumping bass.

2) the grado/ allessandro are the most forgiving, but not the most comfortalbe by any means.

3) and i haven't heard the akg's or the beyers, but if i had to put money on headphones that would need an amp, it would be those two.

by the pound signs, i'm assumming that your a fellow countyman, i say go for the Sennheiser HD25-1 MK2.

http://www.rebelio.co.uk/app/urwfilt...ack/index.html

deeper bass than the grado's/ alessandro's, sound as smooth as the 595's. i paid £165 for these more than 10 years ago, and theyre still going strong.

another thing about the HD25's is that you won't draw too much attention wearing them outside, and every part is replaceable.

http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc....y=0&Go=submit

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 13
In your case I would go for the HD 595 (50 Ohm): very versatile, comfortable and no need for an amp whatsoever. You just can't go wrong with them imo.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Scratch the Beyer DT880 from the list, since from my time listening to it, it definitely requires an amp to have it sing. I'm sure the AKGs also need an amp. Get the Alessandro and Senns together, since they're pretty much compliment cans of each other.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 13
Decent, good-bass, good sound-quality cans at budget price, that do NOT need an amp to sound good:

Sony V6
Senn PX100

Aug 17, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 13
the sennheiser hd 595 i can find are 150 ohm, i've got no real idea how that changes it so is that better or worse than the 50?

thanks for all the advice! i'm going to definitely look into the hd-25 too

Aug 17, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 13
150 ohm would be harder to drive...

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 13
My personal pick for open cans would be the MS-1. Good price and good with lots of music types. The soundstage is appropriate for the types of music it's most appropriate with. A nice on the stage you-are-there type of sound.

....they can be addictive though!

For closed, I have my eye quite close on the Sony V6. Those are really starting to look good!

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
150 ohm would be harder to drive...

what does 'drive' mean exactly? my initial understanding is that 150 would require a stronger source or something whilst 50 wouldn't? so for computers / mp3 players the 50ohm version is better, yes?

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe I'm wrong but does HD595s have only 120 and 50ohm versions?

You're absolutely right! And I'm pretty sure that all (new) HD 595's from the past 18 months are in fact exlusively 50 Ohm.

@ Jerome: Amazon makes a lot of mistakes. Although I must say that I've seen this error on a couple of other sites too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back