Help me choose between Audioengine A5+ and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Jun 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lumzi23

Head-Fier
I was dead set on the Audioengine a5+ for my PC. It has great reviews from sites and is not too expensive. However, I just recently (like today) heard of the Audio Monitor Bronze BX2. It sounds like a great set of speakers (though the sub from the same like is kind of crazy expensive). The a5+ speakers seem like less hassle to set up but the BX2's seem much easier to turn into a 5.1/7.1 set up later. Of course, the most important issue for (neck and neck with price) is sound quality. Which one of would make my toes curl up more?

It should be noted that I have a sound card in my pc system (Xonar Essence STX). As far as the Audioengine goes I am set (or at least I think so) but do I need anything else for the Bronze BX2's (reciever, dac etc). I have posted links to both manufacturer sites and their respect subs below.

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and sub

Audioengine A5+ and sub

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 11
There's no need to match the sub to the same brand as the speakers. You can buy a different sub to go with either speakers. For instance, I'd take the SVS Audio SB-1000 or the PB-1000 over the BXW-10, and it would likely have equivalent or better SQ and more max output.

However, you will need some kind of amp or receiver to run with the MA speakers. The STX has a line out, so you can use the DAC built into it. If this is for mainly desktop use and you want to avoid buying a receiver at the moment, I've been using an Indeed TA2021 t-amp with my speakers.

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your info. I was dreading buying the BX2 because I thought I would need a big bulky reciever. I am a little more encouraged now that you mentioned amps. Question: Do I need to do any complex wiring if I choose the BX2's?

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 11
Your only real choice is how much to spend and whether you feel it's worth biwiring or not (or even bi amping, do a search loads of info out there!)

Cheers

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Not sure what you mean by complex wiring. It's not that hard to hook up a a sub, speakers, and and an amp/receiver :)

However, not all subs are suitable for hookup with an amp and speakers, whereas an audio video receiver will have a dedicated subwoofer line out that makes it suitable with pretty much any subwoofer. So you would need to choose your amplification method before picking out a sub.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 11
They don't even come in the same league. You may compare Aktimate Mini+ or Swan H5 to Monitor Audio BX2 though. And Monitor Audio with an amp costs 3x that of AE.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 11
They don't even come in the same league. You may compare Aktimate Mini+ or Swan H5 to Monitor Audio BX2 though. And Monitor Audio with an amp costs 3x that of AE.

Why would it cost 3 times as much? The MA BX2 cost $489 from Audio Advisor; the A5+ is $399. If he wants roughly equivalent power, then an Emotiva mini-X a-100, or a <$200 AVR can provide as much or more.

Or the Indeed t-amp I linked to can provide more than enough power for the BX2 for desktop use. The difference between the 25 watt t-amp and the 50 watt RMS/75 watt peak internal power of the A5+ is not that significant. It takes double the wattage to increase volume by 3db. So trying to compare the specs, the difference is probably somewhere between 3 to 5 db in additional output.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Your only real choice is how much to spend and whether you feel it's worth biwiring or not (or even bi amping, do a search loads of info out there!)

Cheers

Do you mean that their sound is too close to make any difference, or that one is much better than the other? As for bi-wiring/bi-amping I probably won't do it from what I have seen.
Quote:

So the BX2 is better?
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by complex wiring. It's not that hard to hook up a a sub, speakers, and and an amp/receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

However, not all subs are suitable for hookup with an amp and speakers, whereas an audio video receiver will have a dedicated subwoofer line out that makes it suitable with pretty much any subwoofer. So you would need to choose your amplification method before picking out a sub.

So a reciever has some advantages. I like the small form factor of the amps you mentioned. Any recievers that are small and cheap but still quality? Where can I find the Indeed HiFi TA2021 to buy if I went with the BX2?

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 11
A good quality amp which can truly drive the bx2 will run $500+ for a stereo amp. else they wont be used to the fullest
=

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 11
So a reciever has some advantages. I like the small form factor of the amps you mentioned. Any recievers that are small and cheap but still quality? Where can I find the Indeed HiFi TA2021 to buy if I went with the BX2?

Sorry. I don't know about small and cheap receivers, although I see this TEAC amp recommended quite frequently. Has a decent DAC built in. The Indeed TA2021 is sold directly from Indeed through Ebay.

So the BX2 is better?

If you want to start a 5.1 or 7.1 system for home theater use, there are many reasons why passive speakers are the way to go:

1) Unless you only want to run audio from a computer using the 5.1 output on it, you'll need a receiver. So you will already be paying for 5.0 channel amplification in the receiver anyway. Why pay for amplifiers in all the speakers?
2) Receivers that have preouts for 5 channel audio are generally expensive because it's not a commonly used feature. So you would need an expensive receiver AND would be paying for amplifiers in all the speakers when you could have gone with a less expensive receiver and bought passive speakers that performed better for the same money as the powered speakers, or cheaper speakers that performed as well as the powered speakers.
3) Better receivers have room correction software which uses a measurement microphone to automagically set the channel level, time delays, and phase, and it also will use EQ to smooth the in-room response of the speakers. I recommend Audyssey MultEQ or higher (not 2EQ) because it also EQs the subwoofer, which often needs it.
4) If you go with the BX2s, you could choose to move them to the rear and upgrade to the BX5 or BX6 towers in the front, or use them in the front and save some money with the BX1s for rears.
5) To get the best front soundstage, your front left/right and center need to timbre match. That means either (a) buying the exact same speaker as the front left/right or (b) getting the matching center channel created by the manufacturer that goes with the model series. With powered speakers, you generally have to go with the same exact speaker, and most people have trouble accommodating a vertical center channel in an HT setup (which is why manufacturers make passive horizontal center channels).

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 11
Sorry for the long delay.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It's very helpful. If I can afford it I think I'll go with BX2's

techboy

Thanks for the response. If I go with the BX2's I think I'll go with something like Teac ah01-s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back