Help me choose an Iphone headset: Klipsch S4i, Etymotic MC3 or other?
Jan 7, 2011 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

carveturn

New Head-Fier
first post: I've been reviewing the material in the forum.  It's very extensive, and I've tried to take advantage of all of your knowledge and experience.  It has been interesting translating all this information into a purchase decision.

I'm looking for a headset for iPhone4.  I want detailed balanced reproduction.  I listen to a variety of source material, examples are Dave Matthews, Diana Krall, Eagles, John Prine, Doc Watson, Randy Newman.  Also listen to various country and rock.  Occasional classical: Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi. 

I enjoy hi fidelity reproduction but not via headphones:  I've owned Vandersteen and Linn Sondek.  My current headphones are and older pair of Sony MDR-EX something or other.  They have a heavyish bass and a fair amount of sibilance to my ears.

I also want isolation.  I've used the Sonys in a plane and they help but I want something with more isolation. 

Based on the reviews, I purchased the Etymotic MC3.  

I was unimpressed on first listen.  Very thin sound.  Also seemed busy on eg Dave M. tracks the old Sony handled.  However, as I played with the fit that seemed to improve.   The last time I did a critical listen I was surprised to discover bass.  I would still characterize it as light.  It can be remedied with increased volume, but to the point that I think it is too loud for long term listening.

However, they are very uncomfortable in place and one ear is sore from insertion and positioning attempts.  The foam tip is marginally tolerable, but it creates too much pressure and the phones don't seem as if they go in far enough.  Yes, I've watched the Ety video and have tried all manner of ear gymnastics.  Maybe using a mirror would help...

I did further research and decided to try the S4i.  Wow.  To me, very heavy on bass.  The bass overwhelms nearly the entire presentation, and colors the midrange.   Not much experience with them yet, but after the MC3 they seem veiled.  However, they are very comfortable.

I'd love to get some comply or shure tips but they aren't available locally and I don't think I can get them before I have to decide.  I am on a deadline because I am going to return one or both of these if I can't solve the comfort (MC3) / sound (S4i) issues.

I did try the Klipsch tips on the MC3.  The medium tip and the two flange tip seem to work ok but positioning is very touchy.  The small one fits well but doesn't seal very well.  So it may be that the MC3 can be comfortable.

Any suggestions?  

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Updated the title.  

Also: after more time with the Klipsch I would report that the sound does not seem veiled after all.  Bass is more pronounced, certainly.

Any suggestions for other headsets to consider?

Any suggestions for methods to make the mc3 more comfortable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back