Help me choose a set of closed headphones
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm after a pair of closed headphones with decent comfort and isolation. I'll be using them for travelling a lot.

I used to use a set of ER-4S, but it's annoying to pull on and off, and while I find them comfortable with certain tips, they wear out too often and it costs chunks replacing them.

I'd like a set of closed cans that's suitable for portable use (can be driven without an amp) and does not sound worse than ER-4 (similar sound signature would be good)

Is there anything that fits this bill?

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 9
HD 25 I II
They're awesome!

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 9
IMHO the HD 25-1 II sounds nothing like the ER-4 (don't get me wrong, I love the HD 25-1 II). It's much more dark, bassy, and not as neutral. Hell, even the HD 280 Pro is a lot closer to the Etymotic sound except for the fact that the 280 has loads of suck injection-molded into each unit (comparatively speaking, exaggeration added here) and just sounded bad coming from the ER-4.

Sorry I was of little help. Maybe the Shures or higher-end Audio-Technicas will fit your bill. You'll want balance and a relatively neutral tonality, without exaggerated strength in the nether regions.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 9
k271 mk2 might meet your expectations, but they are big for travel, I am recommending them as you suggested something equivalent to the k701. The k271's are not as neutral sounding as the k701 nor the er4s's you had, but they are also not overly warm....
I dont recommend the Beyer dt770 as I only like their 250 and 600ohm version, which are not good for travel purposes...

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 9
I've read some not so positive reviews about the K271's

I guess it is not a requirement that it must sound like ER-4, as long as it's detailed, and not too dark, and is recommended overall

Also, I don't think impedance is a bis issue either, becase I use the ER-4S model which says it needs an amp but it's always been plenty loud without one. Are headphones different?

Any experience with ATH900?

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 9
also, I'm flexible here. I need a new source too. So if there are any sources powerful enough to drive a high impedance phone, I'll look into it. I can also consider getting an amp if you guys think it's impossible to get good sound from closed low impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back