Help me choose a Grado!
Apr 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Timothy.Wong

Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to pick up a decent pair of Grado Headphone. I don't really know the difference in between them. Price range wise, i don't want it to be uber-expensive, anything below or around $200 is affordable. Please give me opinions on which headphone to buy and if possible, include information on price, sound quality, and comfort.

Thank you!

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sr225, from what I've heard.

heard or read?

"Nearly everything I post is just from what I've read. just so you know.
but I have heard the ad700, hd555, senn hd 202, shure se line, v-moda bass freq, and triple.fi 10 pros yuin pk3s, RX700s, "

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 35
If you really enjoy the Grado "house" sound, a very common path people take is:

SR80i --> SR225i --> RS-1i.

If you can stretch the budget, i would start with the SR225i, otherwise the SR80i is a great entry level offering.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 35
I own the SR325i's and love them. These babies haven't left my ears since they were delivered almost two weeks ago. I'm finding myself finding new love in music I have listened to a million times before. Some people think they are too bright, which means the highs tend to go a bit too high, even hurting their ears, but I haven't had any issue like that. Those same people usually recommend the 225is instead. You can get the SR225is (newest model) new for about $180-$200, and can probably find the SR325i's (last model) for around $200 (I got mine for $195 on the sale forum here).

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 35
I've owned a pair of SR-125, and Allesandro MS-1, and have listened to the SR-225. To my ears, the SR-125 and SR-225 sound too similiar to tell the difference between the two. IMO The MS-1 is on par with these phones if you purchase the same bowl pads. And with the MS-1, if you choose to do the MS1000 mod (which is simple easy to learn mod for anyone), it elevates the headphones to new proportions. It also brings the total cost closer to ~$175, which is still cheaper than a new (and sometimes used) SR-225. Plus with the mod, it allows you to first hear what the headphones sounds like normally. And you can choose to mod it whatever which way your budget sees fit

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 35
I agree that the 125 and 225 are very similar. you have to compare them side by side and know what to listen for to catch the difference. having said that, the 225 does sound better to me. I have also wanted to experiment with the allesandro line, but have not had the opportunity to do so, so I can not comment on that. of all the grado's I have tried, I liked the RS2 the best for quality and price. the rs1 is just too expensive compared to the rs2, and I like what the rs2 does better. of course, the rs2 is way out of your budget for now. so, my vote, 225.

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the 125 and 225 are very similar. you have to compare them side by side and know what to listen for to catch the difference. having said that, the 225 does sound better to me. I have also wanted to experiment with the allesandro line, but have not had the opportunity to do so, so I can not comment on that. of all the grado's I have tried, I liked the RS2 the best for quality and price. the rs1 is just too expensive compared to the rs2, and I like what the rs2 does better. of course, the rs2 is way out of your budget for now. so, my vote, 225.

I owned the SR225i headphones but returned them because I found the bass really lacking. I upgraded to the SR325is headphones and have never looked back. More refined sound with MUCH better bass.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 35
It really depends on what kind of music you listen to, and what kind of sound you are looking for. For your price range, you probably want to either look at the 225, 325i, and MS2i. Of the three, the 225 is a warmer, smoother, rolled off sound. The 325i is a detailed, aggressive, and extended (not rolled off at all) sound. The MS2i is a much more neutral sound.

Those are very very brief comparisons. There are many comparisons between those headphones.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the SR225i headphones but returned them because I found the bass really lacking. I upgraded to the SR325is headphones and have never looked back. More refined sound with MUCH better bass.

cool. I couldnt get into the 325s. the highs were just too shrill for me. depends on what kind of music your going to listen to I suppose. I just know that chet baker was just too "ouch". and prince was out of control. I can honestly say that I did not even think about the bass because I was too focused on the highs. probably the shape of my ear canals. Lots of people love the 325. not for me though.
redface.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #14 of 35
I have sr80's and sr325i's. It should be a no brainer, but I find the 325i's to be a lot better in almost every aspect (except comfort). Although, there is still something about the sr80's that I like that's different from the 325i's.

Personally, if you're a bit iffy about which model to get. Start low and work your way up if you feel the need to. I think you'll appreciate them more this way, especially if you upgrade later on. Just my .02.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool. I couldnt get into the 325s. the highs were just too shrill for me. depends on what kind of music your going to listen to I suppose. I just know that chet baker was just too "ouch". and prince was out of control. I can honestly say that I did not even think about the bass because I was too focused on the highs. probably the shape of my ear canals. Lots of people love the 325. not for me though.
redface.gif

My 325i's required about 300hrs of solid burn in time before that shrill was gone. It is something that just happens on the cans when they are new. It is not a permanent thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back