Help me build a DAC
Oct 16, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Uhm... not sure if a DAC is a great idea as a first project, but all DIY DACs available do come with a PCB (can't really use a DAC ship without it) so it shouldn't be that hard to simply solder on all the components and hope for the best. I wouldn't suggest building a DAC as a first project though, because if something goes wrong, you'll have lots of fun trying to figure it out. But then again, I don't really know much about this stuff either and was able to built quite a few amps and 2 dacs already so it's not impossible. Still I would recommend, build something small to understand how things work, then move up to harder projects like DACs.

Oct 16, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Sounds like this inexpensive "half kit" from US Hi-FiDIY site would be perfect for you.

http://us.hifidiy.net/Article.asp?ArticleId=174
I call it a "half kit" because you will need to supply a case, IO jacks and a power supply.

The only tricky part is soldering the smd CS8414 chip and even that is pretty easy.

(it took me less then 2 hours to build one with a tread PSU in a hammond case)

Oct 16, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 10
If you stuff up a DAC build then you often need expensive tools such as oscillioscopes to locate the problem. DACs are no beginner projects.

Oct 16, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 10
As someone who only got into this DIY stuff in February, let me list the steps I took up until finishing my DAC project recently:

1) Browse the DIY forums - this will help you figure out what people are doing, where they agree/disagree, etc.

2) Figure out what project you want to tackle (I chose to design/build a DAC)

3) Read a good book on electronics. My suggestion is "Art of Electronics". You don't need to understand all the nitty gritty, but at least, get a handle of the major aspects.

4) No matter what you decide for #2, build or design something easier first. I made a dual linear regulated power supply.

5) Once you successfully finish your first "starter" project, you are ready to move on to the next step.

6) Go back to the forums. You will now have more knowledge and practical experience, and will be better able to ask questions and get good feedback for your problem.

7) Design schematics -> get advice/suggestions/corrections from forums

8) Revise and finalize schematics.

9) Start on PCB designs...

Well, there's a bunch more steps, but I've probably listed more than enough to last you a good 4-6 months. You can do it, but only if you really set your mind to it, and don't give up. You will get frustrated, but the rewards will be worth it. Believe me. It's an awesome feeling to finish a big project and listen to it playing music.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Sounds like this inexpensive "half kit" from US Hi-FiDIY site would be perfect for you.

http://us.hifidiy.net/Article.asp?ArticleId=174
I call it a "half kit" because you will need to supply a case, IO jacks and a power supply.

The only tricky part is soldering the smd CS8414 chip and even that is pretty easy.

(it took me less then 2 hours to build one with a tread PSU in a hammond case)

I just ordered one of their "extreme TDA1543" kits. Seemed like a pretty neat DAC project.

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol
I just ordered one of their "extreme TDA1543" kits. Seemed like a pretty neat DAC project.

Did you order the case as well?

$55 is kinda spendy but it does look like a nice case.

If you are interested:
Here is the Chinese link for the "upgrade module"
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://shop.hifidiy.net/product/121.htm

Oct 17, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
Did you order the case as well?

$55 is kinda spendy but it does look like a nice case.

If you are interested:
Here is the Chinese link for the "upgrade module"
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://shop.hifidiy.net/product/121.htm

No but I still may get it eventually. I figured that I'd mess with the board first before worrying about casing. It is a nice looking chassis though.

Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back