Help: iPod Problem - randomly skips to next track during a song
Oct 26, 2005 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
My 4th gen 40 gig iPod has had problem after problem. I've sent it in at least 3 or 4 times, and have had it replaced with a new 40gig (at least once?).

The current issue is that my iPod will sometimes, and at random, jump from the current song to the next track without my prompting. It is not always the same songs, and it happens on tracks I myself have ripped (EAC - 192 VBR) and on tracks I've downloaded.

I have recently used the updater (9/22/05 version) and put all the tracks on all over again. Still, the problem persists.

I've read these similar, though not exact same problems:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137711
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103682

Any clues? Blessingx, help!!
tongue.gif

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 7
If it's happening in the middle of songs, you've got a hard drive problem. Do a restore and resync.

If it's happening towards the end, your problem is a bit different, and involves some whacky handling of song information in iTunes' library files. The solution is to make sure you've played everything in iTunes after you import/reencode it. A lot of you probably just load up the music onto the iPod and listen to that, and never play it through iTunes. Depending on your conversion path, this can cause such errors as you've described. The easiest way to solve it? Hit play on the first song in your library, put something heavy on the right arrow key, and walk away from the computer as long as it takes to play through your library.

This used to happen to me when I would import as Apple Lossless, tag and archive, and then convert to AAC. I've also heard that it happens to VBR MP3s. Just make sure you play through the new stuff when you add it (as above, you don't need to play through the whole song, you just need iTunes to "load it up" once I guess).

So give the play-through a try. One way to tell it's going to work is if your iPod resyncs a lot of songs once you plug it back in after the play-through.

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 7
I will try that, thanks.

however, like i said, formatting the iPod and resynching everything didnt do anything previously...but i will try the iTunes thing, as much as i hate that program.

any other thoughts anyone?

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
So give the play-through a try. One way to tell it's going to work is if your iPod resyncs a lot of songs once you plug it back in after the play-through.

What about songs that just skip right when they start. But if you fast forward into them 5 sec. then they work. I am guessing if I encoded them Lossless and back 320 AAC the issue go away. Files I am having issues with are 1 out of every hundred files from a (nameless russian download site). If I fast forward a few seconds the song works.

Oct 27, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 7
I've had this problem but only in a very particular but weird situation. It is usually repeatable. When I have my 4G 40gig hooked up via USB and use the PodPlayer software, the song will skip to the next one whenever my CPU usage spikes hard. After that happens the iPod is stuck in this weird song skipping mode until I stop the device and reconnect it.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 7
I am having this problem as well, with my 120G ipod classic.
but I have a feeling that the problem was caused by my altec lansing speakers, as my last ipod did the same thing after I used it in the new speakers, the battery died soon after so I just got a new ipod.
but now after using my speakers my friends ipod is doing the same thing.
any thoughts on whats going wrong or how to fix the problem??
I will try restoring it.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 7
...try adjusting the tracking and anti-skating on the tonearm. If that doesn't solve the problem, your cartridge is probably in need of replacement.

Do you clean your MP3's and treat them with anti-static before you play them and then make sure they are properly put back in their sleeves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back