Help! Indecicive on a few headphones for a portable setup.
Mar 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SVghost

100+ Head-Fier
Im trying to decide between the:
-Audio Technica ATH-M50S
-Ultrasone HIFI-780
-Any other $150-$300 cans

I require:
-Good isolation (closed-back)
-Strong, detailed bass for electronic music, indie, and jazz. I like slightly foward mids, but its not crucial like the bass is.
-Something that looks decent (doesn't stick out too far like some grado's or look silly like wearing huge D-5000's in public).

I will be using a RSA Predator (when i get around to buying one) as an amp and a Cowon (will have to buy) or Ipod Nano (have, crap SQ, maibie its better with a line out thingy).

Please Help! Any feed back would be much appreciated!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on my previous ownership of the Proline 650, for strong detailed bassy electronic music, I would want an Ultrasone. And FWIR, I would go with the HFI580 or HFI780. But for portable use, I might consider the M50 or HD25-1 II instead.

The HD25-1 II are u-g-l-y
devil_face.gif
so thats out. Im definatly leaning towards the HFI780's now.

Can someone else verify this statement of Ultrasones having strong detailed bass?? Just to be sure
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by as.we.proceed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get both

I wish
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 13
No, obviously not. Nonetheless, there seems to be a consensus that to some extent we can meaningfully exchange opinions about sound. Describing sound is hardly perfect, but it would seem to be the purpose of Head-Fi to try to do so and help each other out. Hence my recommendation of the hfi780s. My description of their sound wouldn't be too different from the OP's. Plus it's an eminently portable phone: low impedance, foldable, snazzy looks.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVghost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone else verify this statement of Ultrasones having strong detailed bass?? Just to be sure
normal_smile .gif

I wish
tongue_smile.gif

I've briefly owned a nicely broken in pair of Proline 750's. Bass was generally sublimely good, unless it wasn't that good in the recording. Then it was sublimely not so good...

I'm pretty strongly considering a pair of 780's. I liked the Ultrasone bass and sound in general enough to want to try another flavor of it.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 13
I can confirm that. Both in the hfi series and even more so in the pro series. But then the pro series are a love-'m-or-hate-'m thing. I am really fond of my hfi680s but I sold the proline 750 and 2500 very soon after acquiring them. Never liked their idiosyncratic sound signature
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 13
Ok, thanks for ur input everyone! I think im going to go with the 780's but if i remember right, my local guitar center has the pro650's, so ide like to hear them and see if im into it or not before making a purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back