Help in selecting multiuse IEMs
Jul 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jvgig

Head-Fier
I currently have Shure E2c and am looking to upgrade as I will be using them several hours per day once the school year begins and the shures tend to be uncomfortable after a few hours. I need something portable as these will be used for portable media (probably D2, but still unsure), monitoring the audio while filming, and listening while on the computer as the fans drive me insane.

My ideal budget would be under $200 but I can probably wait a little and raise it to $250 if there will be a noticeable improvement.

I plan to go without an amp initially, but it may be considered down the road, especially for the computer work.

As these will be for entertainment and video work, I will be listening to everything from movies, voice, and every type of music, so I need a good all-around IEM.

During my last video, I had a lot of trouble with the audio as the mic picked up somethings that I though it wouldn't and didn't pick up somethings that I thought it should, so I need to have good noise isolation and accuracy.

After doing some research, I have found a few, but am unsure due to the many uses as to which would be best, or, since I am not over well versed in this field, something else may be better.

<$200-Shure SE310, Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro, Etymotic Research ER-4P, q-Jays,

On the high end $250+ - Westone UM2, Livewires

Thanks for the help.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 10
Don't know the price of Sleek SA6 -but they've been pleasing a lot of people here....a definite contender if in budget.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 10
After a few hours of review reading, I have become very hesitant about this whole purchase. The last time I went from your standard $20 buds to the $100 Shure E2c and heard a difference, but I have always wished that I spent more. Resale value sucks and I hate buying something planning to replace it in a year or two.

The SA6 seems to get good review averaging somewhere around a 8.5+/10 on a numerical system for sound quality (range 7-9.5). Some say they expected more others put it up with UE10s. The changeable pieces definitely add some piece of mind, but they are still more of a set and forget system.

I dont know anyone else who cares about portable audio quality and dont know of any stores in the area that allow you to test, so I will be basing this purchase off of internet reviews.

Just more out of curiosity will my options for a solid all around performer become more clear if I up the budget to $350 and wait a few months? That would give me the option of triple.fi 10 Pro, and sac customs as well as others. I am just concerned that will go and spend 250 only to wish in a month that I had waited and spent more like last time, but then again, I dont want to spend $350 to find that the $250 SA6's were just as good.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 10
With $350, you have many options. Here's a brief list in no particular order

1) SA6($250),
2) SA6 customs($300),
3) Livewires($250),
4) FreQ Show w/ MM crossover($350),
5) RE1 ($170) <- definitely needs an amp to shine,
6) Triple Fi($300+)
7) ER-4P (~$180)
8) Q-Jays ($??)

These are considered to be the best in the market within your price range. I believe ClieOS did a comparison between all the above with the exceptions of the customs. You should definitely look into it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 10
That review suggests that the battle is really between the triple fi and the SA6 depending if you want a strong mid section or a good full range. Does the SA6 become more well rounded if you go custom?

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 10
From what I have read, the major differences b/w SA6's universal and custom is comfort (obviously custom wins). The custom do have a slightly more refine sound, but you trade it off with the ability to tweak the sound (plus you can't resell custom).

Check out channum's comparison on both TF10 and SA6. There are strength and weakness with in both, but my recommendation goes to SA6. The reason is, SA6 is just far better for who like their music on-the-go. The more difficult-to-use TF10 is better when you have the time to sit down and enjoy it.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 10
I have read the review.

Quote:

The reason is, SA6 is just far better for who like their music on-the-go. The more difficult-to-use TF10 is better when you have the time to sit down and enjoy it.

Could you explain.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Most will agree TF10 has fit problem due to its large size. It is really a hit or miss kind of thing. It simply isn't as easy to use when you are moving around, especially worst when you need to take out the earpiece to hear the outside world from time to time. For SA6, you don't need to care about the angle nor the fitting in your ear - everything is as simple as it can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back