Help - I'm so confused
Apr 6, 2006 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Happytab

Head-Fier
Guys,

Help me out here - please.

I have an Ipod that I like to use when my wife is watching the OC or other such rubbish on TV. So I am mostly looking for a new set of earphones or headphones that will improve my listening experience and comfort.

I have read & read and just managed to get myself more and more confused.

I was almost at the point of buying the PX100 but was put off by the leakage issue (I don't want to get a remote control in the head from the next Sofa - is it really that bad?). I guess I am affraid of ear canal phones like the CX300 from a comfort perspective. So now I am at a loss.

You can guess from the phones mentioned about my budget is not huge.

So come on guys - help me out before I go bonkers
confused.gif

Thanks

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happytab
Guys,

Help me out here - please.

I have an Ipod that I like to use when my wife is watching the OC or other such rubbish on TV. So I am mostly looking for a new set of earphones or headphones that will improve my listening experience and comfort.

I have read & read and just managed to get myself more and more confused.

I was almost at the point of buying the PX100 but was put off by the leakage issue (I don't want to get a remote control in the head from the next Sofa - is it really that bad?). I guess I am affraid of ear canal phones like the CX300 from a comfort perspective. So now I am at a loss.

You can guess from the phones mentioned about my budget is not huge.

So come on guys - help me out before I go bonkers
confused.gif

Thanks

But atleast tell us your budget ???

Apr 6, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 33
You need an IEM! If your looking to spend around $50, your not going to get much! For around $100, or a bit less, you can get some ER6i's! They will drown out all the noise, plus give you very good sound!
icon10.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 33
A ear canal phone like the CX300 is the best isolation you can get in this price range, and it sounds quite good too. I don't think a typical closed phone will help with a TV on in the same room.

Some people experience comfort issues with deep IEMs like the Etymotics or Shures. Others find normal earbuds very uncomfortable. But I have rarely heard of comfort problems with semi-IEMs like the CX300 or EX71/EX81. These fit more securely with less friction than earbuds, and they don't go in to your ear-canal nearly as much as full IEMs. Chances are, you'll be satisfied with the CX300.

Another solution: get your wife to wear headphones instead.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, something cheap like the Sennheiser HD201 sounds good with TV, has a long enough (10ft) cord, and will not leak out any noise at all.

EDIT: Do not try using a PX100 to drown out the TV, unless you want to go deaf.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 33
Maybe the AKG K 26 P,its around your price range.I really dont think the PX100 leak much at all.Ive used mine many times in a room with a TV on and no one hears a thing,in fact im listening to them right now and its minimal.They aint the best for blocking out external sounds though.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 33
I tried A500 in same situation and found no sound in. Untill you stop the music on A500's
icon10.gif
BTW... IEM will do better then it. But when you stop the music on them. they will also allow the sound in.

My openion for your problem is same. Get the A500. It will do the job.

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 33
Happytab -- I'll second what Jagorev said. Canal phones such as the Sony's, Sennheisers and Creatives could be the economical, practical answer for you.

I have a growing collection of in-ear phones (it's a long story), and I find the Sony's to be physically the most comfortable ... easy to put in and take out, with a fun (not seriously audiophile) bassy sound. I also have the Creatives and consider them to be better sounding than the Sony's, if not quite as comfortable (the comfort difference isn't great). But any of these in-ear 'phones in this price range should be a good workable solution for you -- the soft silicone ear pieces can fit snugly in the ear canal without pain or dicomfort (for the vast majority of users) ... the more snug the fit, the better these 'phones "override" outside noise such as the OC, trains, planes, etc.

Of course, for real isolation, you would need to pay a little more and move up to the Etymotics ER-6i, Westone UM1, etc. class of in-ear monitors.

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 33
Inexpensive canal phones like EX71 and some of the others that were mentioned will keep some of the TV sound out of your ears, and are very comfortable.

If you're afraid you won't like any in-ear solution at all, then either the AKG K 26 P or the ATH FC7 would probably be the best budget 'normal' headphone for your use. Neither one will block as much sound as IEMs (even cheap ones), but they'll block some, and they won't leak. The K26P is the more comfortable of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back