HELP! i'm in a rut. help me choose some new music!
Jan 1, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #31 of 57
How wonderful to have such an open mind as to consider the opinions of your friends at head-fi.

smily_headphones1.gif

You might try Mike Keneally and Beer for Dolphins "Dancing". This is a studio album that came out in 2001 with terrific production values and sound. It is very eclectic rock and the musicianship is second to none. I am a huge Keneally fan and I saw the band do this album live this past summer. Great from start to finish. Keneally is a virtuoso guitarist and the music is challenging, but there is a pop vein that makes it very accesable. Learn more about this record here .

Jan 1, 2002 at 4:27 PM Post #32 of 57
Country music (No spelling lessons)

Lucinda Williams - "Essence"
K. D. Lang - "Shadowland"
Alison Krauss - "New Favorite"
Lyle Lovett - "The Road to Ensanada"
Gillian Welch - "Time(The Revelator)"
Shaver - "Tramp on Your Street"
Emmylou Harris - "Ballad of Sally Rose"

Not really music, but they just released this on CD, and it sounds good on headphones.

Firesign Theater - "I Think We're all Bozos on this Bus"
A comedy album that bears repeated listenings. In fact, it almost demands them.

Jan 1, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #33 of 57
Michelle Young - Marked for Madness.

Think early period Kate Bush and your about there!

I've had this album for a while but not really played it properly until a few days ago, and its grown a lot on me.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Xevion
Gordian Knot - Jazzy insturmental prog rock, good stuff!

Bozzio Levin Stevens - More metal, but plays a wide variety of music within insturmental prog rock, including spanish style guiatar

Liquid Tension Experiment - Insane insturmentalists, a must hear if you like to hear a super group play improv. Half the music on their CDs are improv!

Therion - Dark symphonic operatic metal, one of my personal favorites, although it takes a pallate adjustment for most people to get used to em. If you are looking for something seriouly different, you can't not try them.

Tempest - Folky prog rock, lighter and easier to listen to then Dream Theater, have a bit of a 70s sound to them too, although I have never heard anything quite like them.

Moxy Fruvous - Excellent singers and the songs can be funny or make a political point sometimes. Entertaining to listen to, easy on the ear, and I don't listen to acapella much so thay are really a breath of fresh air.

Apocalyptica - 4 cellosists, their older stuff is mostly covers, but their new album (Cult) is all their own material. They are very enjoyable to listen to, but just a warning - a lot of Cult I would classify as outright metal despite the fact that there are no guitars. They can be harsh, dissonant, loud, and grating at times, but beautiful and well put together at others. I like most of the songs on the CD, but Path played with a female metal vocalist is really nice
biggrin.gif

Those should start ya off pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll second the GORDIAN KNOT, LTE, TEMPEST and APOCALYPTICA excellent suggestions, and would like to add these also great Prog/Indie titles:

- PORCUPINE TREE - Lightbulb Sun, Coma Divine, Stupid Dream...
- MORTE MACABRE - Symphonic Holocaust
- LANDBERK - Indian Sumer
- AFTER CRYING - De Profundis
- CIRCLE - Andexelt & Prospekt
- SIGUR RÓS - Agaetis Byrjun
- FLOWER KINGS - Space Revolver
- TIMOTHY PURE - Island of the Misfit Toys
- THE GATHERING - How to Measure a Planet
- MERCURY REV - All Is Dream
- FLAMING LIPS - Soft Bulletin
- COLDPLAY - Parachutes

Happy listening.

Jan 1, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
Michelle Young - Marked for Madness.

still haven't got that one, but I've heard her sing...wow. indeed Kate Bush, but so much more beautyfull! she has some MP3s for down;oad on hersite (www.michelleyoung.com). check em out!

Feb 4, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #39 of 57
Thomas Dolby. I can't beleive no one suggested Thomas Dolby! I used to install car audio and used the album Astronauts & Heretics to fine tune.

Well worth the money spent. IMO Sonic perfection.

Feb 5, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
Buy the Merzbox. You'll never want to listen to anything else...

Heh-heh. I actually like Merzbow, but don't know if I would want 50 CD's by him...I just got the sampler disk.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
Wimp.

LOL.

Feb 6, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #45 of 57
Here's a couple you are never going to hear recommended by anyone but me: The soundtracks to 'The thin red line' and 'Beyond rangoon' Both by Hans Zimmer and both 2 of the most amazing scores I've ever heard. I am a soundtrack fanatic and those 2 are on my desert island list. Ambient, emotional, flowing, incredible. I came upon them by chance and now I spread the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back